Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Towing, Hitching and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Towing, Hitching and Tow Vehicles Discussions about tow vehicles, tow systems, hitching, leveling, jacks and more.

Old 10-01-2011, 06:49 AM   #1

Default can anyone recommend a tow vehicle for a 1985 21' funchaser?

i don't know the trailer or hitch weights - no owners manual and nothing stamped on frame. i'm trying to get by on the most compact truck available- any help would be much appreciated. thanks in advance,

ramblinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:17 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinman View Post
i don't know the trailer or hitch weights - no owners manual and nothing stamped on frame. i'm trying to get by on the most compact truck available- any help would be much appreciated. thanks in advance,
Here is my opinion. The 21 foot models run from around 3400 to 3900 lbs empty. yours is probably closer to 3900 lbs.empty. Best bet is to get it weighed. Loaded, fresh water in tank, propane tanks filled, food, clothing etc you will be over 4,000 lbs. You need a truck with a min of 4,500 lbs tow rating. This low of a tow rating will put a strain on the truck if you tow in mountains. You should have a truck with a tow rating of around 5500 lbs. or more for comfortable towing. Tow ratings can be found on the internet for any truck and year. Also you will need a WDH (weight distributing hitch).

(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:34 AM   #3

Default thanks poprichie

what do you think the hitch weight is? do you think a dodge dakota (6,650 #) w/ tow package will do the job? thanks again
ramblinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:43 AM   #4

Quote:
what do you think the hitch weight is? do you think a dodge dakota (6,650 #) w/ tow package will do the job? thanks again
That should tow it with no problem. We have a Tacoma with 6500# tow rating and it works well with our 2310H which is heavier than what you are looking at.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:39 AM   #5

If all of your towing is across Iowa you will have no problems with the Dakota ... except maybe trying to stop it in traffic! I have a 2207T which I weighed at the agricultural scales at 4,620# with propane and fresh water, plus most of our stuff and my Nissan is rated at 8,500# with 285hp. I make it up the 3,000 to 4,000 ft grades in the Sierra's hunkered down with the big rigs and rv/buses in the truck lanes, usually not over 4,500 rpm in second gear and maybe 40 mph. Going down these grades has gotten me sweating with the brakes fading occasionally after applying them for 10 miles ... there's nothing quite as exciting as having 2+ tons pushing you down a mountain with hot brakes! Your towing capacity will also be seriously diminished by the contents of your tow vehicle as well ... just remember that everything you you are carrying in the tow vehicle and Hi-Lo subtracts from your towing capacity, including the Big Mac you just ate and the air in your tires.

Quote:

2007-22T TowLite 50th Anniversary
2008 Nissan Frontier SE 4X4 Crew Cab, Snug Top
NDgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:44 PM   #6

Ramblinman, I have a 2004 Dakota and pull a '95 21 ft Towlite - I have hauled it from SLC fully loaded with a bunch of stuff in the truck up Parley's Canyon on I-80 - 13 miles of 5 and 6% grades without a problem. A longer continuous grade than Donner's Pass. The '04 Dakotas have a lower tow rating than the '05 and up.
Rolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:42 AM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to sting32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolff View Post
Ramblinman, I have a 2004 Dakota and pull a '95 21 ft Towlite - I have hauled it from SLC fully loaded with a bunch of stuff in the truck up Parley's Canyon on I-80 - 13 miles of 5 and 6% grades without a problem. A longer continuous grade than Donner's Pass. The '04 Dakotas have a lower tow rating than the '05 and up.
I have mentioned this before, 99% of the time "normal" down the 2 lane towing at less than late for work speeds, you could actually put a 21ft one of these behind crappy little car... This is "if" you are talking about occasional trips to the nearby lake/campgrounds.

If you plan to marathon across country, I suggest you get the best {diesel} pickup you can afford, and outfit it with brakes WD hitch system, and know the "car" you would have towed the same with, would been worthless when done (shot, strained and worn out).

The problems begin when you have situations, like hard braking, accident avoidance, bad weather (storms), long hills down are worse than long hills up, as brakes go out on a car not expecting/designed to stop a double the weight of the car, load.

70% of towing safely is driver, 30% is a capable tow vehicle... get a decent pickup or van, install trailer brake controllers, possibly WD hitch and spring helpers (air shocks)... Be patient when going places, leave early so you dont rush and do stupid crap. go down hills carefully and in lower gears than when you are sunday driving.

you should be fine.

Mine is a 28+ foot long 5th wheel, the guy before me pulled it with a 6cyl toyota full size pickup, and he towed a small 16ft alumacraft boat behind that. YES, we drive carefully, no City traffic and no mountain passes for us to get to the lakes/camping areas either.

I have a 1ton dodge diesel 6spd cummings extracab I pull with, because I drive state to state, and Im more than confident I can tow for 100's of thousands of miles without worrying if any of my above situations will cause me to be risking my life, more than normal (as such for even driving on public highways and such, ya know?)
Old 10-05-2011, 12:25 PM   #8

Ramblnman,

We tow a 1997 21ft Towlite behind a 2006 Toyota Tacoma V6 with a 6,500lb tow rating. We use a weight distribution hitch. We have driven over hills, mountains and straight aways with no trouble. Except in the mountains, we don't even "feel" the trailer behind the truck.

We noticed more drag with our previous RV, a 15ft Terry.
w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:09 PM   #9

Sometimes a video is worth a 10,000 words, this is what happens when you over estimate the abilities of your tow vehicle: . I'd say Sting is right on the mark with his comments, but you will find many of us are "getting by" with what we have, until like the guy in the video, we don't!

2007-22T TowLite 50th Anniversary
2008 Nissan Frontier SE 4X4 Crew Cab, Snug Top
NDgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:33 PM   #10

I agree with Sting but... My Dakota is my main transportation and a 1 ton Diesel would be impractical to drive or park in a Salt Lake City. I can attest to this by the 1000s who attempt it every day.
I think your clarified question was will your Dakota pull it? The answer is yes and you will get decent milage too. As CamptheWestCoast said you won't really notice it back there because of lower wind resistance. It does well downhill too.

Rolff is offline   Reply With Quote