Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Towing, Hitching and Tow Vehicles Discussions about tow vehicles, tow systems, hitching, leveling, jacks and more.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:22 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichR View Post
Your towing experience can only get better from that, that was the absolute worst setup you could have. Once you get a good hitch, brake controller, and mirrors towing will be a much better experience.

If I had my druthers I would have a dealer install and setup everything. You may pay more for it there but it will be done correctly. Ordering hitch parts comes with a hefty shipping cost whereas the dealer usually gets that delivered by a supplier at no cost to him. At least get an estimate for the hitch and controller installed. Setup with the trailer could be included with the cost of the hitch. If you install it and have to get him to make the adjustments you will be paying for it. Installing the brake controller if you are not already wired for it can be a pain also, but I believe you already have a plug under the dash that accepts a pre-made wiring harness. Look here:Brake Controller for 2002 Dakota by Dodge | etrailer.com

Thanks for the encouragement. Yes, I think we will do much better once all is hooked-up correctly.

We are wired for the brake controller so my husband is going to install it. The hitch on the one we are (hopefull) going to buy has the weight distribution but not sway bars so we will buy those from the rv repair place and get a tutorial on the set-up at that time.

inthepink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:39 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolff View Post
OK - I dug out my info from when I bought it and learned some stuff. I have a 3.92 with the Tow Package and a class IV hitch. What Dodge printed out for me with those specifics was that my tow limit was 5750# and a max tongue weight of 1200#. With a combined max weight of both at 10,500#. It also states the 15% rule. I weighed the truck when getting a load of rocks and PopRichie has the same trailer and had weighed it at 3400#. I don't have a bunk which is 150# not sure if Richard said his did.
FYI -You will have to buy the plug from Dodge for the brake controller and a brake controller from someone else.

Thanks so much for the numbers. Your axle is bigger and limits are higher but I am confident that our Dakota is going to do just fine. I called the manufacturer and found out my GCVW is 9200 and my tow limit is 5250 (not 5050 as I thought). My curb weight is 3777.

What is the 15% rule?

Too much info?

Nope. Very thankful for the info.

Driving down narrow streets with out mirrors is scary with the wide turning radius - Dakotas turn like they are 50 feet long anyway. If your husband had towed it on the open road he would have felt like it wasn't even there. The confidence and comfort happen with experience. If you do get it - drive it around on a quiet day to get used to it and tell him it gets easier backing it... eventually. I am quite happy with mine. As you can see from my profile they look good together on the road.

Yes, they look very nice. I showed my husband your pictures last week after we tried to tow the hi-lo. You were my proof that it could be done! When he saw the picture of yours in the snow he started believing me. Also, he commented on how nice it looks with the shell. We don't have a shell but I think we might get one eventually.

He had to back it into the people's driveway that own it. It was a super narrow street and a super narrow driveway and it only took him two tries. I was mighty impressed.

Also to consider: We have about 200# of clothes and gear. The food and drinks another ~200. The water tank when full is 150# 2 20# propane tanks. Unless it's winter I don't carry both propane full and if water is availabe I fill up at my destination and dump the holding tanks and water at the first opportunity on the way home.
Replies to your post are in bold above.

Thank you again for all of the helpful info. I'm so glad you had pics of your Dakota pulling your Hi-Lo. They totally helped my husband to reconsider.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:42 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
If you decide to have the Rv dealer set you up for towing you could take cellphone pictures,camera pictures or video. Take notes as to what number he uses on the chain. It can be tricky even for an Rv dealer. They set us up one way and then somemonths later one of the mechanics made a correction. They had the devil of a time getting our sway installed correctly. Get your truck all set up then bring in the HiLo to make sure all is well with your towing setup. Should be no charge for the second check if you had them do the wdh and brake controller. Yes,you pay the RV mechanic and along with that comes a warranty for parts.
Good idea to take video with my phone. Thank you.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:51 PM   #24

Default Thank you JackandJanet and RichR

Thank you for all the tips on towing. Those all make a lot of sense. I will be sharing all of this with my husband. I DO NOT want to be the one driving it. I will do the research, but he will be doing the driving, thank goodness.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:53 PM   #25

Quote:
Cheryl,
Be careful asking questions you'll hear all you want to know. What you should have guessed by now Hi-Lo owners have a great passion and loyalty for their trailers. That says volumes. I hope it works out for you.
Yes, I have noticed and it is so awesome. I'm so thankful to be getting so much help and so excited to be a Hi-Lo owner, too.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:21 PM   #26

The 15% Rule - Sorry it is the same as PopRitchies 85% rule. Dodge had posted - 15% less than max - Richard had said 85% of max - Sorry for the confusion.
Tell your husband that I live in SLC and tow up Parley's canyon on I-80. It is a 13 mile continuous upgrade with 5 and 6 % grades. My Dodge handles it fine.
I live on a narrow street with a narrow drive. Backing it in w/o mirrors on 2 tries is impressive.
Rolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 04:02 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthepink View Post
Replies to your post are in bold above.

Thank you again for all of the helpful info. I'm so glad you had pics of your Dakota pulling your Hi-Lo. They totally helped my husband to reconsider.
In the pictures in the snow we were about 4 miles up a reasonable dirt road. We packed up in a hurry to leave before the snow melted. We drove out with about 20 feet of visibility being carefull of where all 8 of the wheels went. It took about 45 minutes to get out. When we got to the highway the sun burst out and it was beautiful and the road turned to mud. The nest town we hit - Loa, Ut I bought foam insulation tubes to seal off some of that wind that snuck in. The foaks at the Ace Hardware told us we had camped at a place known by the locals as "windy ridge".
I'll post a few more photos in my albums.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:37 AM   #28

Quote:
The 15% Rule - Sorry it is the same as PopRitchies 85% rule. Dodge had posted - 15% less than max - Richard had said 85% of max - Sorry for the confusion.
Tell your husband that I live in SLC and tow up Parley's canyon on I-80. It is a 13 mile continuous upgrade with 5 and 6 % grades. My Dodge handles it fine.
I live on a narrow street with a narrow drive. Backing it in w/o mirrors on 2 tries is impressive.
Speaking of tow mirrors... Do you have any that you particularly like for your Dakota? We need to order some.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:39 AM   #29

Quote:
In the pictures in the snow we were about 4 miles up a reasonable dirt road. We packed up in a hurry to leave before the snow melted. We drove out with about 20 feet of visibility being carefull of where all 8 of the wheels went. It took about 45 minutes to get out. When we got to the highway the sun burst out and it was beautiful and the road turned to mud. The nest town we hit - Loa, Ut I bought foam insulation tubes to seal off some of that wind that snuck in. The foaks at the Ace Hardware told us we had camped at a place known by the locals as "windy ridge".
I'll post a few more photos in my albums.
That drive out sounds really scary.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:58 PM   #30

Quote:
Speaking of tow mirrors... Do you have any that you particularly like for your Dakota? We need to order some.
I use the clip on mirrors. I didn't want to ruin the looks of the Dakota by changing the mirrors for the few times I tow. They are under $15 each and are held on by rubber straps. I can see quite well, they don't vibrate loose and the only issue I have had is I have driven out to adjust the brakes and realized they are still in a cabinet that I have to raise the top to get to.
In fact they are on sale:
Worldwide Merchandise Company - Clip-On Tow Mirror - Mirrors - Camping World
Old 11-14-2011, 01:03 PM   #31

Quote:
That drive out sounds really scary.
We were laughing the whole way. There was no chance of someone coming the other way, the worst that could happen was getting stuck in some mud. It was worse the night before because it was cold and the wind was really buffeting us. We had hitched up at 10:00 pm, lowered it and moved it 200 feet down the road so that we didn't end up in OZ.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:00 AM   #32

Send a message via Yahoo to sting32

Quote:
What year dakota? Mine (a 2000 model EXT cab v8, sport) has the same mirrors as the "normal" or STD mirrors that were availble on a 1500 (& the 2500 diesel we own--> that doesnt have upgraded mirrors) so I share the ones that slide over existing mirrors to extend, I like them.

http://www.amazon.com/CIPA-10500-Cus...ar=1&carId=001

I Sourced them last year, I believe from another site, but with ship was under 60 near xmas time (gave them to Father for xmas, knowing I needed them too! .

Depends on the existing factory mirrors of course. Goto CIPA CIPA-USA - Your one-stop source for mirrors and aftermarket accessories see if your stock mirror matches?
Old 11-16-2011, 12:28 PM   #33
Site Team

I strongly recommend this kind: http://www.cipausa.com/ (click on the "Custom Towing Link") if they will fit your vehicle. It's what I use on my Ford and they work perfectly. Easy to install and remove, no vibration, very secure.

- Jack
Old 11-16-2011, 01:05 PM   #34

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by sting32 View Post
What year dakota? Mine (a 2000 model EXT cab v8, sport) has the same mirrors as the "normal" or STD mirrors that were availble on a 1500 (& the 2500 diesel we own--> that doesnt have upgraded mirrors) so I share the ones that slide over existing mirrors to extend, I like them.

Amazon.com: CIPA 10500 Dodge Custom Pair Towing Mirrors: Automotive

I Sourced them last year, I believe from another site, but with ship was under 60 near xmas time (gave them to Father for xmas, knowing I needed them too! .

Depends on the existing factory mirrors of course. Goto CIPA CIPA-USA - Your one-stop source for mirrors and aftermarket accessories see if your stock mirror matches?
These are the same as I use on my GMC. I ordered mine through JC Whitney but I had a 15% off coupon and free shipping at the time. I think they are excellent mirrors. I've also seen them at Pep Boys. You probably won't find them cheaper than on Amazon or ebay.
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:08 PM   #35

I can see the advantage of those if you don't have to adjust them each time. When I take my clip on ones off I squeeze them down into a sunday newspaper bag and put them in a cabinet in the trailer. That way I never forget them.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:10 PM   #36

Thanks, everyone, for all of the suggestions on tow mirrors.

Cheryl
Old 11-27-2011, 11:47 AM   #37

Thumbs up Small Truck Towing

I used to have a '84 Nissan 4x4 with a 4cyl(they didn't even make 6 cyls till '85) that pulled my 17'er with all over the western US. I had a WDH on it and it pulled perfectly-no sway at all. Update: I bought a '97 Ram 1500 4x4 5.9 V8 Sport. Tried to pull with it without WDH thinking bigger truck should make a difference-WRONG. Wouldn't go over 50 without swaying really badly. Put WDH back on. Perfect towing again.
One other thing I might mention. It's not pulling the trailer that is critical. It's STOPPING the trailer that is most important and most overlooked when people first start towing. I highly recommend installing a brake controller. If you can find the negative terminal on your battery, you can do it. Mine took less than an hour. Makes all the difference in the world. Under $100.
Once you get the "hang" of it, (200 miles) it will get easier. Beleive me, it will be worth the stress. You will always remember the first time you raise that top and realize you have everything you need in one convienent package. In the woods. I've been camping in my little Funchaser since '87, and I still enjoy raising my top!! Camp in Peace.
Enchantedcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:43 PM   #38

What they said!

We've owned a 17' and now 27' Hi-lo and used weight dist on each - makes all the difference!

Both were towed with 6cyl engines, by the way. The first with an Isuzu, and lately with our Volkswagon Touareg. The 17' was towed both with, and without, the WD system. Amazing difference.

What really matters, once you get the WD bars and controller, is the tow vehicle wheelbase. Our VW is marginal, and we now have a diesel Ford Excursion that will take over.

Be sure to have proper air pressure in both trailer and tow vehicle. I like to run my trailer tires at 55 lbs, but check your specific tire manufacturers pressure.

Don't forget to have fun!

G&L in Reno
Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 06:11 PM   #39

Default We got it! We got it!

My husband towed it home today and he said it towed great! Thank you so much everyone!!! All of your information and advice helped us to buy this. I can hardly wait to get out there and use it.

Cheryl