Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Towing, Hitching and Tow Vehicles Discussions about tow vehicles, tow systems, hitching, leveling, jacks and more.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:49 AM   #1

Default Do I Need a WDH?

I have 2000 240td pulled by a 2014 GMC 1500 crewcab 4x4. It is rated to tow 9500# and it does have the tow package. The Hilo I bought came with a friction sway bar.

Hidonlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:51 AM   #2

To make life easier on you and your tow vehicle I say yes. The WDH will distribute the weight to both front and rear axles allowing it to run level, keep steering at its best, and to make the ride much better.

2000 Brochure:http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f52/...brochure-1661/

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidonlo View Post
I have 2000 240td pulled by a 2014 GMC 1500 crewcab 4x4. It is rated to tow 9500# and it does have the tow package. The Hilo I bought came with a friction sway bar.
Hidonlo,

Is the weight carrying rating of your factory hitch 9500?
Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:08 AM   #4
Site Team

Agreed - Personally, I would not pull anything weighing over 2000# without using a Weight Distributing Hitch. The added hitch load acts like weight on one end of a sea-saw, pivoting around the rear axle. This not only puts additional stress on the rear axle, wheels and tires, but it also LIFTS the front of the tow vehicle, reducing tire contact there with the ground, making steering less reliable.

And, in a sudden stop. a trailer towed without a WDH nosedives, lifting the front of the tow vehicle even more, which reduces braking at the front, forcing it to be exerted mostly by the smaller brakes on the rear wheels.

The cost of a WDH is insignificant compared to the improved vehicle handling and safety it affords.

- Jack
Old 09-05-2014, 08:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Agreed - Personally, I would not pull anything weighing over 2000# without using a Weight Distributing Hitch. The added hitch load acts like weight on one end of a sea-saw, pivoting around the rear axle. This not only puts additional stress on the rear axle, wheels and tires, but it also LIFTS the front of the tow vehicle, reducing tire contact there with the ground, making steering less reliable.

And, in a sudden stop. a trailer towed without a WDH nosedives, lifting the front of the tow vehicle even more, which reduces braking at the front, forcing it to be exerted mostly by the smaller brakes on the rear wheels.

The cost of a WDH is insignificant compared to the improved vehicle handling and safety it affords.

- Jack
Well said Jack! I might add that with the added weight on the back will aim your headlights upward into oncoming traffic.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 02:23 PM   #6

Thanks I'll check into it
Hidonlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:57 PM   #7

Default WDH info

Thanks. I think y'all just answered my question. We just got a '91 22foot HiLo and it states a weight of 3900. That's well below the 8200 my 04 Caddy Escalade says it can pull. The air ride suspension didn't really level out the vehicle and I had to use a lot taller hitch setting than I like to level the trailer. Guess I'm in the market for a WDH now!
Arlan Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 11:40 AM   #8

If you check the manuals you will notice that Hi-Lo recommended a WDH system for pulling, at least, the larger ( 19 ft and up) hi-los. Do it. I have a friend with a 16 fiberglass Casita which a couple of us can lift at the hitch and move it around. He uses a WDH, and though it is probably not critical, things work better with it.

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:27 PM   #9

Absolutely! You're in dangerous territory towing without one.
I have a 2308 Classic, WITHOUT a sway control. Never need one, even diving a hill at 120 Kliks. (75 MPH) for a short period.
[ I know; the tires are only good for 110 KPH. max, but that's a sustained speed.]

Mel Goddard is offline   Reply With Quote