Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Towing, Hitching and Tow Vehicles Discussions about tow vehicles, tow systems, hitching, leveling, jacks and more.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:08 PM   #1

Default Front Stabilizer Jacks - Relocate

The front stabilizer jacks on my 2307C are mounted next to the outside storage pod and below it. That makes it the low point of the trailer, so low that I have to remove them to back down my driveway. I mount them as one of my "first day out" chores. But they are so low that I am concerned about scraping them off due to uneven road interfaces (driveways into gas stations, restaurants, etc.).
I am thinking of relocating them to the very front of the trailer and rotating them so that they face forward. There are front-back beams about 13" in from the sides to weld on the mounting braces. Will probably mount them off center of the beam to provide clearance from nearby items. Relocating to the front will gain about 5 inches in clearance at the front of the trailer. The low point would now be the storage pod, which would be protected by the old jack mounting pad. The nice thing about rotating them is that it doesn't require cutting holes in the skirt to access the jack nut. Am I missing something?
camperD

camperD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:01 PM   #2

Our 2305 has the same problem with the front jacks hanging too low. I thought about doing exactly what you are proposing but I only went half way. I unbolted the front scissor jacks and found some large round rubber bumpers and mounted them on the top bracket of the scissor jack.

Now I just slide them under the front of the camper where the frame rail is and use my cordless drill to snug them up. I store them in the front outside cubby's when not in use.

It is an extra setup step to pull them out and put them away, but after bending them and scraping them several times I decided to not spend any more money and time dealing with this design flaw.

boabrother2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:28 PM   #3

I tried the halfway approach on our last trip, and it worked fine. I did shorten the plates so they wouldn't interfere with the propane lines that run next the the frame beam. With some marks on the skirt to tell where the frame was, it was easy to put the jacks in position without having to look under the trailer. Another issue solved thanks to this forum.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:08 PM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to robobd

be careful on where you place them because of trailer flex there may be binding issues or door closure problems
robobd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 04:36 PM   #5

Yes, I did notice that I had to be careful how much I tightened the jacks vs. binding of the door. Fortunately, it is an easy adjustment if I go too far.