Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Towing, Hitching and Tow Vehicles Discussions about tow vehicles, tow systems, hitching, leveling, jacks and more.

Old 11-07-2013, 06:37 PM   #1

Default GMC Yukon and 28C

Greetings. This is my first post and since I couldn't find anything under the searches I need to ask for experienced opinions.

I am buying a 2007 2807c with a UVW of 5320. I have a Yukon Denali 2WD SUV with a towing package and tow rating of 8500.

The best I can tell, and from all the numbers, I should be fine towing this with a WDH and sway bar. But my question is does anyone have experience with a similar set up, and can tell me if it is adequate .... not just from the numbers but from actual towing experience. I like going on trips to relax .... not necessarily "white knuckle" driving.
Thanks in advance, Brian

FLBri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:43 PM   #2
sam

Default New HiLo owner

FLBri,welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your preloved preenjoyed HiLo. I have no experience with your vehicle. However, towing a HiLo will be easy and stress free with your proper set up. You will keep looking in your mirrors (extended ones) to make sure you still have your trailer. The trailer will track great and it will be a pleasure to tow. Welcome to the forum.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:46 PM   #3

Do remember to first inflate ALL tires to their proper pressure, both tow vehicle and trailer.

White knuckles can be relieved thru medicinal alcohol, personally I suggest Canadian Whiskeys.

Enjoy the trip.
Wrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:08 AM   #4

Oh Yeah ... this will be fun!
But I am a Bourbon guy, myself

I've been towing a 3000# starcraft, and am not totally new to towing. Just not quite that size. I certainly plan on a WDH and sway control, though.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:15 AM   #5

Your combination should work very well for you as long as you stay below 80% of the TV capacity. I would go for the dual cam WD hitch which will actively control sway whereas the friction sway control only dampens sway. It is also easier to set up without messing around with hooking up and unhooking. I have probably opened a can of worms, but that is my opinion.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichR View Post
Your combination should work very well for you as long as you stay below 80% of the TV capacity. I would go for the dual cam WD hitch which will actively control sway whereas the friction sway control only dampens sway. It is also easier to set up without messing around with hooking up and unhooking. I have probably opened a can of worms, but that is my opinion.
No, thats exactly the kind of help I need. Thank you
I'm much less concerned about the "ability" to pull, and more concerned about the "handling ability" of the combination
Old 11-08-2013, 07:33 PM   #7

I also have the WD hitch with the dual cam sway control and love it.
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:48 PM   #8

If you already own a WD hitch, I recommend that you try it before investing in a more expensive hitch with sway control. Depending on the trailer, the tow vehicle, and the way you load them, you may find that you do not need sway control. You also may find that a simple friction style sway control device is all you need. On the other hand, if you need to buy a WD hitch, it may be worthwhile to buy one with sway control.

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:20 AM   #9

Thanks, I do own a friction bar, but I do not own a WDH. I think if I am going to buy one I should go for the dual cam rather than potentially buy twice.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:53 AM   #10

Send a message via Yahoo to robobd

Also make sure you have a good brake controller, adjust it properly, and make shure your hi-lo is level when towing.
robobd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:05 AM   #11

OK, I just found out that the unit I am buying has an Eazylift WDH and a frictiion sway bar. So I guess for now I will try that combo and add my friction bar (for a total of two bars) for good measure.

Let me broaden the original question some. Can anyone comment about their experience towing 6000# with a half ton TV of any make? Good idea? bad idea? above all, safe?

Thanks for all the comments. I am getting more comfortable with it.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:10 AM   #12

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

I can't comment on towing a 6000# trailer. Half ton trucks are rated up to over 11000# towing. Safe towing depends on the set up, properly adjusted WDH, good brake controller, properly adjusted. Your set up should be fine if properly set up. You already have experience so the additional weight shouldn't be a problem. I would say try towing it first with out fresh water in the tank, see how it handles and then go from there.

(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote