Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Towing, Hitching and Tow Vehicles Discussions about tow vehicles, tow systems, hitching, leveling, jacks and more.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:10 AM   #1

Default Jack-All, Hi-Lift, or Similar Farm Jacks

I'd like to be able to safely lift my 24' Hi-Lo Towlite. I've read many posts on using bottle jacks, farm jacks, etc., however I may have missed exactly HOW folks use these things.

From what I can tell, the frame of the Hi-Lo, front to back, is basically a rectangle, with a "VEE" welded on front for the tongue, hitch, etc.

Mine has two very solid bars coming from this frame near the tandem axles. Looks like they were made to provide a lift point on each side.

I've purchased one large "Farm Jack" and positioned it on the side and the extension of the frame before it hits the bumper. Seems to fit fairly well. It also seems that it would fit well on the front "VEE". See the photo for further clarification.

My questions: has anyone jacked their entire Hi-Lo up? Some folks have mentioned using these Farm Jacks. Exactly how are they/you using them? If FOUR farm jacks, two on each side of the rear frame, two on each side of the front "VEE" that forms the tongue -- or on those side jack points -- and if I ensured that it was "level" while raising it -- well, seems like I could get 24 - 30 " of clearance and then be able to work on the underside of the trailer much easier. That is, of course, once there were at least six safety jack stands (or other safety measures) in place before I even began to venture underneath. I'd like to have room, not be entirely crazy.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jack_Up_Points.jpg (43.0 KB, 40 views)

================================
1999 Hi-Lo TowLite - 24' TD
2003 Dodge Durango SLT - 4.7L V8 (4WD)
Stabilization Hitch
davegilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:08 AM   #2
Site Team

Rather than jack it to work under it, I'd drive it up onto ramps. Leave it connected to the tow vehicle so it wouldn't roll off.

People using farm jacks are using them to raise the top when the lift mechanism breaks. I use a bottle jack or a floor jack to remove a wheel (my trailer is single axle).

- Jack

Old 03-20-2013, 10:24 AM   #3

Default Ramps?

I must admit that right now I have a case of envy for those "Valvoline" (or similar) oil change pits where you can drive over it and then one can get under it while standing up! Oh geeesh, that would be nice.

Regarding ramps, well, I have a pair that I've had a Ford Bronco on before. Not sure I would trust them, though, with a tandem axle, as they are/were designed for a single tire.

Does anyone out there have a set of ramps they'd recommend, or do you all build them?

What I'm thinking about right now, anyway, is four Hi-Lift or Jack-All style jacks, one at each corner, and putting long carpenter levels both fore and aft, and then going around, one click at a time, while keeping that all level, to where I could raise the whole dang thing. Each jack is rated at 7 ~ 8,000 pounds. Then I'd put 4 ~ 6 high safety jack stands under it as well, before venturing my neck.

But if I can find suitable ramps, well, heck, I'm definitely game for that, too!

Stabilization Hitch
Old 03-20-2013, 12:54 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

The frame wasn't designed to lift the hi-lo in that manner. If you do the lower door on the passenger side will be clamped fast in the opening and may cause damage to the door as the frame will flex in the door area. Also the plastic gluide blocks on the top half will have pressure placed on them and they may break. This is not a good idea. Any jacking on the frame is to be near the wheels.
(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:32 PM   #5

Having had some less than good results using hi lift style jacks I certainly wouldn't recommend using them for that purpose. They do not have a very large base and tend to get more unstable the higher you go. I'm not sure exactly what you want to do but a couple or three 2x8 would give you an additional three to 51/2 inches. Much higher and I would again have concerns about stability. A large piece of cardboard makes it more comfortable and easier to slither around underneath even on concrete.
miniceptor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:31 PM   #6

Default OK, ramps sound like the way to go

Glad I only purchased one Hi-Lift style farm jack then, just to try it out and see if physically it might work and fit in all of the nooks and crannies where I deemed that the camper frame could be accessed.

But I appreciate your wisdom and advice -- seems like ramps are the way to go. Thanks to all that weighed in on this one. I'd like to get more clearance than what the ramps might allow, but not at the expense of bending something, or worse yet, having it fall. Especially on me;-) I want to get one with the Hi-Lo, but not in that manner.

I kind of liked the idea of backing it right up to a cliff/hill and letting the back-end hang over it -- if I could find such a place where I could work in that manner. But I don't want to dangle it over a cliff either, LOL.

Thanks! Will let you know what happens, and will also try to shoot some photos of it!

Stabilization Hitch
Old 03-21-2013, 07:18 AM   #7

I'm sure you thought of this but I am throwing it in anyway. When you get the trailer up on the ramps you can run the tongue jack up or down to tilt the trailer to gain more access under the front or back.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:44 AM   #8

I got to ask----what is it you are planning to do under there?? I'm not getting any younger or skinnier, but if need be, I can squeeze under my 22t by just backing it up on the orange ( or yellow- plastic) levelling blocks well enough to perform the standard maintenance items I need to do like lubricating the cables and hydraulic ram etc. With three 2X8s nailed together and beveled for a ramp---I'm sure I can fit myself on a little mechanics creeper and scoot around. Standing up would certainly be nice......but I'd rather entertain myself with remembering how this "was no problem when I was twenty" than risk injury with a shaky elevated structure. Otherwise, maybe you CAN talk a local quik stop oil change place into letting you rent a bay for a couple of after hours-hours.

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:40 PM   #9

Default Don't assume anything <g>!

RichR, don't assume anything, LOL -- I'll take all the tips I can get -- thank you!

And hilltool (Rick), we used to have, many years ago in STL, a service station where you could rent the bays. Loved it. However, they disappeared, and I haven't seen anything like it since. My Dad used to know a service station owner a long time ago and we'd be able to use a bay on Sundays or after hours on occasion. Sure was nice. I can only assume that insurance and liability issues now probably have thwarted renting these things out by the hour or day (which I would gladly do).

What I'm going to do under there is try to fix a black & grey water tank issue - hoping that I don't have to drop the tanks, but I may. I also want to put a backup camera in the rear of the Hi-Lo. My driveway is a long, narrow chat driveway. Fairly solid (we've been there almost 30 years, have had several loads dropped in and packed down, same with the home owners before us). I'm afraid a mechanics creeper will only work if I put a piece of hard plywood or rock board down, which I may do.

We're expecting snow this weekend, though, so it may have to keep a week or two or three!

Stabilization Hitch
Old 03-22-2013, 03:40 PM   #10

"What I'm going to do under there is try to fix a black & grey water tank issue"

Well, in THAT case, I take it all back. Whatever you can do to get out of there as quick as you can, if need be, seems like a great idea to me.

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:08 PM   #11
sam

Default Backup camera install.

Do a search for camera install. I know their are several posts on how to run the wire for this.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:42 PM   #12

Default Snow saves me for now

Looks like the weekend will be quite ornery in STL, so I may be saved by snow for a week or two, however, yes, getting as much room as I can plus getting in and out of this job as quickly as possible (but with good results) is highly desirable.

Sam, I have searched on the camera install posts. So far I like the idea of running it under the camper, hence a two-for-one deal, once I get this thing up in the air a bit. I'm probably going to run long, industrial RCA wires through a piece of PVC pipe under the camper, then come up through the bathroom. More on that later!

As I'm a pro photographer/multi-media producer, I'll shoot pix;-)

Stabilization Hitch

Tags
frame, jack, jacking, jacks, lifting