Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Towing, Hitching and Tow Vehicles Discussions about tow vehicles, tow systems, hitching, leveling, jacks and more.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:21 AM   #1

Default silverado1500hd/2500 ?

Been looking at a different TV- used 2001 1500hd. This is the same, for the most part, as a "regular" chevy 2500 (non hd). Anyway- it has the 6.0 engine and I have read various posts regarding this engine vs the 5.3. Also- rust issues on Chevy frames. Anyone have any insight on these truck models? NOT trying to start the classic "which is better" argument---just wondering opinions if there are any.

Thanks- Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:30 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

You live in a rust prone state, best advice I can give you is have a mechanic put it on a lift and check it out, the cost of having this done may save you a lot of grief. If the seller won't let you do this, then pass it up.

(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:40 PM   #3

Default Whats wrong with your current vehicle?

Upgrading to a vehicle that's still 12 years old - for an otherwise similar vehicle - doesn't makes sense to me. I guess what I'm asking is what will you gain with this newer one?
Wrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:17 PM   #4

Well----its a long story and I haven't upgraded yet----just thinking about it. But, a 2001 1500hd adds about 2600lbs of vehicle weight rating to my set-up and even a "regular 1/2 ton " truck that is a few years newer would add 500-800 lbs and I could use it. My current TV is 16 years old with 150k and a GVWR of only 6000 lbs. So---I have various issues and have been harping about it for a year. Sadly---around here, at least, even a truck that has 80K on it and is 5-7 years old is listing at dealers in the 20K range. Vehicles 10 -13 years old with less than 120K can be had for nine to twelve thousand----more in my "upgrade range" for right now. I have various friends and relatives out there keeping their eyes open for something they may have personal knowledge on as far as its history.

Rick

4x4
Old 07-01-2013, 04:49 PM   #5

Default if ya need it (extra weight rating) then ya need it

If those prices you're seeing are correct then presumably YOUR truck should also be worth more; so you're only out the difference between the two, not the full amount.

IF POSSIBLE, before you purchase another truck I would suggest you attempt to sell yours ... that'll give you an idea of what your out of pocket amount will be. You may also find that sellers asking prices are not attainable and can actually be had for much less. Downside to this is YOUR vehicle won't fetch what you think it should.

It is still a buyers market and sellers depend on you, not the other way around.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:12 PM   #6

Default Another thought

there are several sites that provide info on what used vehicles should sell for. Both Kelly Blue book AND NADA are way off, and that's what sellers base their prices on, of course - because its to their advantage.

Buyers should look to Edmunds True Market Value. Read up on them and then check what they say these vehicles are typically selling for. The old asking price vs. selling reality may save you a bundle and/or put you in a newer buggy.

http://www.edmunds.com/used-cars/
Old 07-01-2013, 07:58 PM   #7

Well

One reason I don't try to sell mine first is I would not have anything to pull my trailer with in the meantime and would feel more pressure than I would want to buy a new one.

I am aware of KBB and NADA and Edmunds and Consumer reports and, even, my friendly credit union guy who will, Usually , give me an idea for prices as well. But, I appreciate the suggestions.

In the interim I was just trying to get a sense of any real-world experiences people might have had with these models. I also check the various mfg forums but they can get nasty when arguing the plus and minuses of various brands etc even though the discussions can become entertaining. . This Hi-lo forum tends to be gentler.

Rick

4x4
Old 07-01-2013, 08:29 PM   #8

Default Final suggestion

Yeah, my (brand X) is better than your (brand Y).

I would think your F150 would be adequate for a Hi-Lo (my previous 98 F150 would have been), but realize you may tow other, heavier things. So my alternate suggestion is.... look to a towing van. Assuming you don't pull a 5th wheel, vans can be very capable and generally are cheaper than pickem-ups.

I sold my one ton extended 2008 Ford Econoline several months before I found my camper. It was great (lots of room) but I tended to not use it because it was overkill. Now that I have a camper I regret that I sold it (for a song).

My dogs sure loved it. Now they cram into the backseat of my current puller, listed below.