Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Towing, Hitching and Tow Vehicles Discussions about tow vehicles, tow systems, hitching, leveling, jacks and more.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:09 AM   #1
vic

Default tow systems

Hi I will be picking up a 2000 26' Hi Lo towing with an 8 cylinder ford explorer do I need any anti sway system to tow this camper? any suggestions thanks

vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:21 AM   #2

Wink towing

I think it is a good idea to use a proper tow package. This would consist of a 2" recever hitch (not a bumper) a weight distribution hitch with sway control and a elec. brake controler. With the proper tow package you can tow easer on your tow vech. and safer on the road. Even though the Hi-Lo is the easyest trailer on the market to tow it is always best to do it right.
Sam

Sam Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:30 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to thermonieum
Default equalizing hitch

hilo, according to my 2000 owners manual recommends an equalizing hitch with all their trailers. page 8 section 3.2 paragraph 4
thermonieum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:10 AM   #4

I was reading a piece on RV education a few days ago. It recommended that equalizing hitch's be used with all mid sized travel trailer's and up. I couldn't find the article this morning. It explained that's it's not just about equalizing the connected weight of the trailer while towing, but also during braking.

It showed a picture of a rig during hard braking, the front of the trailer and the back of the tow vehicle, are pushed down. This takes weight off the front wheels of the vehicle, which decreases steering control and braking.

This link isn't the same one that I originally read, I found it this morning while searching for the original. It makes several of the same points, and has a picture of the braking issue that I described.

Trailer Loading and Towing Guide

Neal
Old 08-07-2010, 03:36 PM   #5

Default Tow systems

In reading on tow systems, I have decided perhaps to get a WD hitch. I am not sure which one to get. I have seen one rated for 5 K by Hitch Master. We currently have a 1995 18' TL, with a tow vehicle of a 2005 Tundra extra cab. Suggestions?
Holset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:51 PM   #6
Site Team

You DO want to use a Weight Distributing hitch. The size depends on your trailer and hitch weight. A Class III hitch is good for 500# tongue weight and 5000# trailer weight. (But, certain brands, like my Equal-i-zer, may be good for 600# tongue weight.)

So, get a hitch based on the greater of the two weight values.

Anti-sway is probably less important with the low profile style trailer and provided the tongue weight is around 10-15% of the trailer weight. Still, I have one and have never had a sway problem.

- Jack
Old 08-08-2010, 09:15 AM   #7

your local rv dealer should be able to sell and properly install and set up your system. I highly recommend you let professionals do this.

Harry
wvjeepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:25 PM   #8

Vic, Regardless of the hitch type (and I definitely agree that a load equalizing hitch is the only way to go), are you sure your Explorer will have the muscle to pull a 26' Hi-Lo?

Your original question regarding the need for sway control depends on several factors like: trailer balance and how its loaded, tire type, condition and inflation, etc. Its really difficult to predict if an unfamiliar trailer will fishtail after being personalized. For example: Unloaded, our 19 footer tends to fishtail in certain conditions. Fill the water tank, located in the forward right corner, and it NEVER fishtails. Our 27' Towlight, has yet to show any fishtailing tendencies, empty or loaded. Go figure!

Suggest you talk to the previous owner to see if they had a need for sway control, if thats not possible, you may want to go with the anti-sway option for peace of mind and just to cover yourself under all conditions/situations.
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
JMDoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 03:08 PM   #9

Food for thought ... the shorter your wheel base the less leverage your suspension has in controlling vehicle sway. That is why the big duallies have the advantage pulling those huge 5th wheel homes ... of course that is assuming everything else is equal. Anti-sway bars will certainly not hurt!

2007-22T TowLite 50th Anniversary
2008 Nissan Frontier SE 4X4 Crew Cab, Snug Top
NDgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:18 PM   #10

how you load the trailer is also something to keep in mind for sway...weight behind the wheels will tend to increase the sway of the trailer and weight in front of the wheels will tend to decrease the sway...if the weight is balanced for your trailer you shouldn't have much of an issue as long as speeds are reasonable...
I have an 05 Avalanche and an 85 21' Hi-Lo...only time I've had a sway issue was when I didn't empty the black/grey water tanks and the clean tank was empty...

Ratboy1970 is offline   Reply With Quote