Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Towing, Hitching and Tow Vehicles Discussions about tow vehicles, tow systems, hitching, leveling, jacks and more.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:58 AM   #1

Question towing mirrors

I'm looking for a quality set of extension mirrors. Any ideas? The market is pretty slim for mirrors for an 06' Toyota Tacoma. The strap on mirrors vibrate too much.

w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:03 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by campthewestcoast View Post
I'm looking for a quality set of extension mirrors. Any ideas? The market is pretty slim for mirrors for an 06' Toyota Tacoma. The strap on mirrors vibrate too much.
I am using the CIPA mirrors. They snap on and have a screw that applies tension against your existing mirrors and I had no vibration issues. I bought mine through JC Whitney but they are available at Auto Zone and Pep Boys.

RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCREYES View Post
I am using the CIPA mirrors. They snap on and have a screw that applies tension against your existing mirrors and I had no vibration issues. I bought mine through JC Whitney but they are available at Auto Zone and Pep Boys.
That's one of the styles I was looking at, but they don't make them for the Tacoma truck. I may have to fabricate my own. Thanks and I'm open for any other suggestions.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:13 PM   #4

When I first started pulling my Hi-Lo, I went through several sets of mirrors before I hit a home run! I now have and would recommend the McKesh strap on mirrors by Hensley. Make sure you also get the small convex mirrors as they really make a difference. The other thing I did was to have my wife drive her car along the side of me (going slow) just so I could get a feeling of how vehicles showed up in the mirrors at different locations as they went by (did this for both sides). Between the Durango's mirror and the Hensley's (makes for 3 mirrors on each side) there is really no spot where another vehicle will not show up in one of them.
skmwalden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:34 PM   #5

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by skmwalden View Post
When I first started pulling my Hi-Lo, I went through several sets of mirrors before I hit a home run! I now have and would recommend the McKesh strap on mirrors by Hensley. Make sure you also get the small convex mirrors as they really make a difference. The other thing I did was to have my wife drive her car along the side of me (going slow) just so I could get a feeling of how vehicles showed up in the mirrors at different locations as they went by (did this for both sides). Between the Durango's mirror and the Hensley's (makes for 3 mirrors on each side) there is really no spot where another vehicle will not show up in one of them.
I had some questions on the mirrors;
What is the true time it takes to install Mckesh mirrors?
Does the strap vibrate at high speeds?
Have you noticed if there is a problem where the top of the mirror support slips into the window channel. Could it scratch the window if the window was rolled up and down?
Or pull the outer window trim/gasket out of shape?
Old 09-15-2010, 10:12 AM   #6

Default McKesh mirrors

We've use a set of McKesh mirrors for several years now. One of the advantages is that they will fit just about anything, so if you change vehicles you just need to adjust the mirrors accordingly.

I've never noticed any wear on the window glass. I did need to bend the mirror clips in slightly so the window glass wouldn't catch the mirror clip when closing the window.

If the straps are tightened properly they don't flap in the wind. One thing to remember with any of the strap-type mirrors is that the straps will stretch a bit when wet, so you may need to tighten them a bit after driving in rain for a while. You do need to be sure to wipe off the vehicle door where the mirror pad rests against the door, to avoid trapping any grit in there.

The initial adjustment for a vehicle can be fiddly. Once adjusted though, just be careful how the mirrors are stored when off the car so they don't get knocked around, and they go on or off in seconds.

I tow our 22T with a Chev Tahoe, and find I only need the driver's side mirror. The Tahoe mirror on the passenger side is quite adequate.

Gord.
Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:30 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
...<snip>... You do need to be sure to wipe off the vehicle door where the mirror pad rests against the door, to avoid trapping any grit in there....<snip>...
Gord.
I used a similar "strap-on" set of mirrors when we first got our 1707T and were pulling it with a Nissan Frontier.

I was concerned with the mirror pads rubbing against the paint on the doors and so I applied clear plastic tape to the doors after cleaning them thoroughly at the point where the pads rested. The tape was practically invisible when the mirrors were off and having it between the pads and the paint kept any scratching from happening. When we traded up to an F150, I removed the plastic tape and the doors were undamaged.

The strap-on mirrors worked very well for me using the Nissan, but I'm much happier now using the slip-on CIPA mirrors that are made for the Ford (the kind mentioned in the second post). They are available at Camping World too.

- Jack
Old 11-07-2010, 01:47 PM   #8

Question extension mirrors for towing

Is anyone using PowerVision.com mirrors? Or any comments on them.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:00 PM   #9

Try this website for he Power Vision Mirrors Power Vision Mirrors | The Ultimate Towing Mirror

2007-22T TowLite 50th Anniversary
2008 Nissan Frontier SE 4X4 Crew Cab, Snug Top
NDgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:47 PM   #10

Hi Les,
Check out Horst Dynamics Inc Tow-N-See mirrors. They use a suction cup and attach to your existing mirrors. Primary advantage is that if you attach them to power mirrors they can be remotely adjusted using the power mirror buttons. Available through camping World (in store), or Amazon.com, they run about $25 each. Right side mirror is convex while the left side is flat.

I've been using this style for the past 4 years and have to report that they are the easiest mirror extensions I've tried to date. Haven't yet had a problem with them falling off... the suction cup has a screw mechanism that forces a REALLY tight suction. Tight enough that the screw dial needs to be loosened to pull them off. Naturally both the mirror and suction cup needs to be clean prior to mounting. I did cross paths with a camper that had tried them and had had problems keeping his mounted. We figured out that he wasn't tightening the suction cup screw dial enough.

Similiar brand that I've seen, but not tried, are CIPA Suction-Cup Towing Mirrors.

Good luck, Jim
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
JMDoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:10 PM   #11

Has anyone found any mirrors made to fit the Tacoma?
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:04 PM   #12

Try this.

PartsTrain.com - Hard to Find Auto Parts and Truck Parts - Towing Mirror - For 2006 Toyota Tacoma Base 6 Cyl 4.0L
Old 11-14-2010, 01:06 PM   #13

Or this.

2006 Toyota Towing Mirrors | etrailer.com
Old 11-14-2010, 01:23 PM   #14

CIPA-USA - Your one-stop source for mirrors and aftermarket accessories has the Tundra in their online catalog. I don't know the difference in OEM mirrors between the Tacoma and the Tundra, but if they are the same, I'm sure they would fit.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:42 PM   #15

Lightbulb Mirrors for towing/ ideas welcomed

Thanks for all of your inputs & help, I still can't find a high quality extension mirror for my Toyota Tacoma that's not a strap-on. I guess people (accourting to the aftermarket mirror suppliers) don't tow with Tacoma's. At least I haven't found what I wanted, I'm still looking. Maybe it's just the hunt I'm after!
Old 11-20-2010, 07:12 AM   #16

Imports don't seem to have much support in the towing mirror department. I have been looking for about three years for extension mirrors for my Tacoma with no success. Nor does Toyota offer any type of options like telescoping mirrors. The closest thing I have found are heated mirrors with built in turn signals for a hefty price. I guess I will have to trade for a Ford F150 just to get good mirrors
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 01:27 AM   #17

Wink Mirrors for Toyota Tacoma

No luck with what I was looking at , wanting a high quaility extension mirror for my Toyota Tacoma. E-mailed powervisionmirrors.com, the model#6130 has a base about the right size for my door, but don't know yet on the stud mounting measurements. As soon as I find out some more information I'll let you know. I may have to modify the mounting to make it work. Give me a cutting torch, I'll put a Chevy door on my Toyota!(you know what I mean, no mirrors for imports)
Old 03-15-2011, 07:54 AM   #18
TJM

Quote:
Originally Posted by campthewestcoast View Post
No luck with what I was looking at , wanting a high quaility extension mirror for my Toyota Tacoma. E-mailed powervisionmirrors.com, the model#6130 has a base about the right size for my door, but don't know yet on the stud mounting measurements. As soon as I find out some more information I'll let you know. I may have to modify the mounting to make it work. Give me a cutting torch, I'll put a Chevy door on my Toyota!(you know what I mean, no mirrors for imports)
I'm supposed to have my McKesh mirrors tomorrow. I'll let you know how they work.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:45 PM   #19

Hope we haven't led all you Tacoma owners astray concerning the McKesh mirrors. Hope they work as well as we expect. We're heading to the (rainy) Oregon coast next week, so will report on the mirrors.
Frank and Carol
Old 03-15-2011, 03:04 PM   #20
TJM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrulyOregon View Post
Hope we haven't led all you Tacoma owners astray concerning the McKesh mirrors. Hope they work as well as we expect. We're heading to the (rainy) Oregon coast next week, so will report on the mirrors.
Frank and Carol
Anything should beat the Cipa style mirrors I have now.