Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Towing, Hitching and Tow Vehicles Discussions about tow vehicles, tow systems, hitching, leveling, jacks and more.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:03 AM   #21

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmac View Post
Hello everybody, newbie to site and to Hi Lo in general. I searched the site for info on using a toyota 4runner as a tow vehicle for a Hi Lo but couldn't find anything, so I'm posting to see what y'alls experience is. I have a 2005 4runner 6 cylinder, 4.0 liter which I would like to use as a tow vehicle. It's rated to tow 5000 lbs and am looking at a 93 HiLo FL21 which according to NADA is 3000 lbs. Am I asking for trouble trying to tow this? I've heard it's recommended that I put on a tranny cooler and even engine oil cooler. At the very least I think I should flush and refill the tranny. The 2005 doesn't have a tranny dipstick so it's hard to do a visual on the condition of the fluid(bad design). Thank you so much in advance for any advice. Cheers wmac
See my replys further on page 2.
Mel Goddard

Mel Goddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:06 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry View Post
Not sure that I would like to tow with a 4-Runner, though several members tow with their Tacoma's. You would probably be pushing it on steep grades.
See my answers on page two, re: 4-Runners
Mel Goddard

Old 05-04-2015, 08:56 AM   #23

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
I doubt there's much "science" in it!

- Jack
Of course not!
Old 07-01-2015, 07:23 PM   #24

FYI: I have traded the 2308C in for an Airstream 25' Flying Cloud, at Can-Am RV in London Ontario.
By next week, it will be on the used trailer lot there, and SOMEBODY will be able to buy a very good Hi-Lo. (I wanted more room, and a separate bed, rather than that 'convertible' one.)
It had new brakes installed this spring, and new converter last year, and two 6VDC batteries last year. No leaks anywhere, and everything works just fine.