Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Towing, Hitching and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Towing, Hitching and Tow Vehicles Discussions about tow vehicles, tow systems, hitching, leveling, jacks and more.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:31 AM   #1

Default Yukon or Lexus LX470

Hello all. I am new owner of a 1909 HiLo. Although having camped much in our life, my wife and I have never had a trailer. I will be getting rid of my 2008 Sienna mini van for something better to tow with. I was considering a GMC Yukon or Sierra truck. However, I just came across a 2007 Lexus LX470 with about 79000 miles. Anyone with experience or opinion on this vehicle for towing my new camper? The HiLo GVWR is 3840 lbs. GAWR for the Lexus is 6500 lbs and GVWR Front 2850 and GAWR Rear 3350. I am trying to come up to speed on tow ratings but it is a slow process so far. Thanks to all for your comments.

Blackhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 03:07 PM   #2

Introduction to Towing a Trailer | Hitches & Towing 101

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:11 PM   #3

The lexus sounds like a great TV, with a 6500lb tow rating you won't have any problems. I'm towing an 2206 towlite with a toyota tacoma with a 6500lb tow rating. I personally like having a pick-up for extra camping gear
But there are a few items that you will need in my opinion to tow safely and make it easier for the TV.
Transmission cooler(most tow package equipped TV's have these,if not you can one easily)
Electric Brake Controller (for the trailer brakes)
WDHitch (to equalize the trailer wieght to both the front and back axles of the TV)
Sway Control Bar (some WDH's have them built-in)
Tires on the TV need to be C-rated sidewalls for towing (if the TV was larger and the trailer heavier I would use E-rated sidewalls)
Towing Mirrors (to see safely around the trailer)
Larger 12volt Charge Supply Line to trailer, with any trailer that has a 3-way refrigerator that runs on 12volts while towing it needs at least 14amps . The problem I had was the factory wiring was to small, an 18gauge wire and my truck was only putting out 5amps.The refrigerator was running down my house batteries on my trailer by the time I got to the campground. Off my alttenator charge line of my truck,I added a 30amp circuit breaker and 10gauge wire to the trailer batteries(I even had to change the 7-way connector from the factory one to use the 10 gauge wire). Now I have enough amps to run the refrigerator and charge the house batteries on the trailer.
w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:51 AM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to jcurtis95

Les,

There have been several posts in the past few weeks regarding tow vehicles [mostly undersized] asking if they were large enough to pull a certain size HiLo. Perhaps this film will serve to impress on folks who have had little experience towing on the importance of a proper tow vehicle for the load.

small car pulling large trailer up hill crashes u-tube - Bing Videos

When it comes to safety and you do not have a proper TV, you would be better off tenting it.

jcurtis95
Fredericksburg, TX
jcurtis95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:19 PM   #5

Congrats on getting a 1909T. We have had a 1908T for several years now and really like the way it tows. I tow with a 2005 F150 5.4 liter and it feels like not more than a boat trailer on the road. It gets a reasonable 16 mpg on the road.

We have had some problems like snapped cables and rotted wood attach points for the cables but its no more or less problems than other trailers we have had.

Will be glad to answer any questions you might have concerning the trailer.

Welcome to the forum.

Ray
raysnuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:58 AM   #6

Default Towing/tongue questions

First, thank you to all. I appreciate your answers and recommendations. I have just taken my trailer out of storage (in the driveway). Last fall I purchased it. Before I could do anything, both mother and then mother-in-law passed away. Now getting back in to it.

I purchased a 2007 Lexus GX470 as a TV. I hooked the trailer up to the car and because my driveway is steep, the tongue was raised high in the air. No problem connecting. Drove it down to Discount Tire and had new tires installed.

Now when I was attempting to unhook the trailer on level ground, I found that the weight of the tongue/trailer so great it was pushing the TV's rear down and as I cranked the trailer up, the rear of the TV rose, making it impossible to unhook. So what is going on here?

Thanks for your comments.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:56 PM   #7

Either the hitch is not releasing from the ball and is raising the TV up with it or the ball is too high on the TV. I always carry some wood blocks or boards to place under the tongue jack so the trailer's hitch can be raised higher. If the trailer is not releasing from the ball the TV may need to be moved slightly forward or backwards, or jiggle the trailer some and it may release. Add some grease to the ball to make it slippery and reduce wear. You may want to get a weight distributing hitch if the trailer is causing the rear of the TV to settle excessively. It also allows the TV to stay level with the ground and it distributes the trailer's tongue weight throughout the axles, thus placing weight on the front wheels for improved steering. It also give a better ride.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 02:05 PM   #8
Site Team

I think what Rich said about the hitch not being released is the problem. I'm sure you moved the hitch lock back, right? If so, there is still a tendency for the trailer to have moved forward as you stopped the tow vehicle, and this will cause the ball on the hitch to "catch" on the latch inside the tongue socket. Just move the tow vehicle forward about an inch to "stretch things out". This should let your trailer release from the ball as you raise the tongue.

- Jack
Old 05-20-2014, 03:04 PM   #9

Default Lexus

Its my understanding that a Lexus is a high end Toyota, and Toyota's have all the power you will need. I don't see any problem with that.
allenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 05:53 AM   #10

I agree with pretty much everything that was said. I particularly agree that the pressure inside your hitch/ball assembly is the culprit. The grease is a good idea, plus a little LPS spray actually up inside your latch assembly where the ball fits is a good idea if it is working a little rough.
2014 Ford F-350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:06 AM   #11

Default Problem solved

All, thank you for your suggestions. The ball was hung up with the TV. A little pushing and moving freed it up. So I learned something new. Again, thank you all.