Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Lifestyle > Off Topic Lounge
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Off Topic Lounge For friendly, professional, informal exchange of non Hi-Lo topics. No politics or religion topics please.

Old 10-30-2011, 05:14 PM   #21
sam

Here are the rest.
SDC10417.jpgSome areas of the insulation were soggy after an all night rain.Tore out quite a bit of the wall. Tore out until we reached dry wall.

SDC10418.jpgInside AC plug repair.Some new wood and lexel caulk both in side and outside. Yellow is expanding foam. Had a good at times heavy rain and our AC box/repair passed the test. Hi and dry.!!You can't tell in the picture but the upper half of the wall has a curve to it. Hubby wonders how straight paneling will work on this?

SDC10419.jpgHubby needed a break from the HiLo restoration. He finished restoring this park bench for our friends. He used all stainless steel hardwear and treated lumber and will clear coat it in the spring. Great to get this out of my dinning rm. Very heavy and sturdy.

SDC10420.jpgDelivered and a happy customer!!!!

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:33 PM   #22
sam

Default 90 HiLo restoration

Many unanswered questions. Hubby realizes that we need to do the procedure and raise the HILo up as if we are changing the seals(may do later) We will do this in the spring. Need to remove all the wet material below the rail. Our theory is that the water came in the Ac exterior box then down the wall and traveled both right and left. It did a good job of trashing the HiLo /upper section. All the rest of the HiLo is in excellent shape(new floor professionally installed) .The original oven works great. Our HiLo has never been in an accident and the most we use it is between two weeks to a month each year. We consider ourselves amateur remodelers. Any comments,suggestions-chime in. Today hubby winterized old faithful. Not sure how much more we will work on it this season.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:54 PM   #23
sam

Default (0HiLo Restoration Talked with Rob at JR Repair in Ohio

Rob was very kind and gave a lot of good advice. Ideally I would just send it to JR repair as they have all the equipment and expertise to do the repair. However a 21 yr. old trailer isn't worth 5 or 6 thousand dollars in repairs. My estimate of cost. JR repair would do a total tearout then they would coat the inside fiberglass with a primer and sealer. Didn't say exactly the name of any product. Talked about a recent customer that he thought used a latex primer and then a clear coat Automotive spray. Then they would get rid of all the rust on the metal interiorframe and probably prime and paint. They would be able to seal any leaks and do a lamination of foam,underlay and new paneling. Spoke about the curve in our upper wall. Rob said they use a lamination glue (not liquid nails as this would just slide). We will use contact cement. He thinks the aluminum strip was just in place to mount something(at the bottom interior of the top half). I will be removing this as it is old and seems to have no purpose. The brown cardboard was someones idea at the time and doesn't serve any purpose so it is fine to remove the soggy mes off the interior fiberglass. When I get some time I will call a automotive paint supplier to see if they have any suggestions for what to use to seal up the interior fiberglass. I may even call a local boat repair place. Yester we spent time tearing the BR wall in back of our wardrobe(passengerside. Seeme to me they doubled up on underlay and paneling. The brown cardboard seemed to have some thin foam in between. The wall was totaly saturated and delaminated. Hubby is going to take a real good look at the outside seams and will reseal with the lexell caulk. Didn't get to finish the wall. We will be able to work until the snow flies. Hubby called JR to ask about getting the wet material below the guide rail. He said we wouldn't be able to do this. His tecks know how to access this area. I hope this information helps anyone doing repairs.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:47 PM   #24
sam

Default 90 Classic restoration

Today we picked up a push button light switch at Radio Shack. This for our outside lt. switch that broke. Hubby says he also will also be able to put a regular Lt. switch behind the BR vanity. This way we can turn the light on from both the outside and inside. We stopped by our specialty Autobody paint /supplier. He sold us a quart of polyester resin by marson to waterproof our interior fiberglass. It is a two part mix and then you put gloves on and work pretty fast to paint it on the interior fiberglass. It sells for $24.95 a quart. Pretty nasty stuff. Be sure to read all the directions and use adequate ventilation. I will probably pick up an industrial respirator. Just noticec the product is made by Bondo 3M. www.bondo.com Sunday it is going to be 63 degrees so we will probably do this in the afternoon. The store owner told us to bring the trailer by and he will give us advice on what we might consider doing to "freshen up the fiberglass on the outside". Hubby's boss is a carpenter and he advised us to use two half inch sheets of insulation as they will conform to the upper wall curve. We ripped out one inch thick insulation. I finally broke my curved locking hemostat pulling out so much wet underlay ect. he pair we got at Harbor Freight and "sucky" You can order them off the internet. Today we went to Hobby Lobby (grand Opening) and they had a pair of locking forcepts.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:47 PM   #25
sam

Default 90 Classic restoration

Worked on the trailer for a few hrs. today. Hubby had removed the aluminum strip(mounting strip). This was located inside the tophalf at the bottom. This allowed me more space to pick out more wet material. I,m only getting sm.amts. of sl. wet material. Hubby continues to use a razor scraper to remove the residue from the cardboard(passengerside) BR wall.It sure is great to now have a working lt. Thanks for soldering and heat shrink tube. Exterior lt. Was wondering if anyone knew what the reason is for the curve in the top half interior wall.? Does this design have to do with the top going down over the bottom for towing? Do all HI Lo trailers have this curve.? I don,t think I noticed the curve until we did demolition. It rained some this evening. We'll get to see if our Br.exterior lt and all the caulking hold up. We've come to the conclusion that at times we looked at the exterior caulking and thought it looked fine or just touched it up. It probably neded to be all scraped off and renewed with Lexell caulk. Isn't hindsight the next best thing besides sliced bread!!!
Old 11-27-2011, 12:50 AM   #26
sam

Default 90HiLo, Classic restoration

We have been working on the HiLo off and on for a while. Completed priming and painting inside metal frame. Looks good in High Gloss Rustoleum. Such a shame to close this lovely paint job in. Hubby put the bondo on the two areas where we did a total tearout down to the fiberglass. He said the stuff is thick when applying it with a brush. Went to Home Depot and purchased a $30.00 respirator. A defenite must have or the fumes from Bondo will kill you. It dried to a shiny hard surface. Still stinks some. Today we removed the big window at the stove sink area. Found some delamination in the back splash area and will remove atr our next work session. Gogone worked really well to clean around the exterior window area. Then I cleaned it with paint thinner. Two rows of butyl tape around the inside window edge of the actual window. Reinstalled with stainless steel screws. From the outside I slightly pulled the lowerfiberglass,underlay,paneling and lexell caulk put inside the track to hopefully catch any water. Very important to read all directions for products to see what temp they can be applied at. The big windows have 32 screws each and I need to order 200 more screws. Threemore windows to pullout and reseal. We haqve had some 50 60 degree weather and this has helped us. Thank goodness for our warm furnice and longjohns!! I'm trying to figure out the best course of action to replace the insulation. Just read about Dicor using Touch -N-Seal insulating spray foam in Rvs. This would make them leakproff. This would make them have closed cell foam and would be seal tite. This is just in the R&D stage. I hope I can locate the minimally expanding Touch-N-Seal as the wall has a curve in it and The foam spray would conform to the curve in the wall. Will post some pictures soon.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:47 PM   #27
sam

Default 90 25ft. Classic restoration

SDC10422.jpg More tearout around door.

SDC10423.jpg Tearout continues under the sink. Had to tearout quite a bit in the backsplash area.

SDC10424.jpg Filler purchased from Campingworld. Insert into outside fillhole(for fresh water tank) Freshwaterhose screws into yellow threads. Black piece on left is the on/off control.

SDC10425.jpg Purchased in walmart automotive. Top comes off,has a strainer in black part. Lid is removed to add buckets of water into water tank. 15 buckets will fill fresh water tank. Good exercise to burn calories so you can eat more smores!!

SDC10426.jpg Home made door replacement seal. I had vinyl fabric leftover from reupholstering my kitchen stool. Round foam caulk fillsout fabric. Screws or poprivet back in place. We did the same thing on several places on exterior of trailer.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:21 PM   #28
sam

Default 90HiLo Restoration

SDC10427.jpg BR. passenger side wall. All cardborard scraped off with razor blade scraper. Bondo applied-shiny look waterproofing/sealer. Metal framework wirebrushed,vaccumed. Rustoleum primmer and one coat of Rustoleum High Gloss paint applied. Leftover from painting our chainlink fence. Showing wire to outside lt.

SDC10428.jpg Bondo to wall above dinette.

SDC10429.jpg Area above ref. metal painted

SDC10430.jpgBondo to area-inside ac electrical.

SDC10431.jpg Bondo gives a hard finish unable to remove cheap paint bristles.Ready for 1/8nderlay,tomorrow. Consulted with the Co. that did our house weatherization. Had to order in 1""foamboard. This will conform to the curved ,wavy fiberglass. We plan on using contact cement.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:30 PM   #29
sam

Default 90 HiLo classic restoration

We used Lexell caulk where the metal structure meets the fiberglass on the inside. We caulked anywhere we possibly could. Caulk is cheap insurance against water intrusion. I don't care how many tubes we use.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:33 AM   #30
sam

Default 90HiLo Classic restoration

Hubby has been going down solo to work on the restoration the last two days. The contact cement idea isn't working out completely. Hde followed the directions and it won't tack up after 45 minutes. Could be because it is a low VOC formula. Some places the underlay did adhere to the old styrofoam. He used some poprivets (stainless steel along the edges). He is going to switch to liquid nails. Thinks the contact cement will work for the new 2x8 foam board insulation. Home Depot now has this in stock. We were able to save the paneling the went around the window for a pattern. Lots of cutting and fitting with the underlay around the ref. Used the underlay pattern to transfer to the back of the new paneling. We keep the furnice running at 65 degrees. Costs us about $15.00 to fill up our 30lb propane tank. Don't care how much propane we use as it is great to get this repair done in the off season. Cheap propane because no tax at the Indian reservation.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:06 PM   #31

How about some photos of the new paneling Hint Hint

Garyk
garyk52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:19 AM   #32
sam

Default 90 Hi Lo Classic restoration

Worked on the project for three hrs yesterday. Installed some foam board and some more underlay. Contact cement just doesn't work-tack up. It just soaked into the foam board. I think it doesn't work because it isn't blazing hot. Used liquid nails,generous amt. on both surfaces in a s pattern. Then seperate and let underlay tack up for approx. ten minutes.Hubby purchased a $35.00 Floor roller and he used this to roll over the wall-pressure. He used shims and screw drivers wedged at the bottom to make sure it sets up properly. I asked hubby if he would install one piece of paneling so I could see how it looked. He wants me to be patient and wait until he cuts, fits all styrofoam and underlay. We can,t work on it today,but I could take a picture of the paneling the next time we work on it. I,m just as anxious to get it finished. Maybe by Christmas.!! The paneling is called SeaMist 1/8 by Georgia Pacific. You could look this up on the website. It was raining like crazy and we did some additional caulking inside the metal cross bar BR passenger side. Also outside,seems to have sealed up the small drip/leak. On a real sunny day we couldn<t see any pin holes in the fiberglass.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:43 AM   #33
sam

Default 90 HiLo Classic 25ft. restoration

Worked on the trailer some today. We used liquid nails to glue the styrofoam and some underlay. 50-50 results even though we followed the directions.This liquid nails sail it would glue styrofoam We are now using Heavy duty Liquid nails and this was much better. Hint, if you have a classic model you can mark where the metal supports
Old 12-10-2011, 12:35 AM   #34
sam

Default 90 classic restoration

The advantage of having a Classic HiLo is the you can measure and know where the metal supports are in the wall. Hubby put the pop rivets into the metal supports. Today hubby got all the styrofoam installed. Sure is cold,tomorrow is only going to be 27 degrees. Then a warm up for 4 days of 40 degree weather. Had our first snow today,1.7 inches. Will be going to our Ace hardwear today to look at foam trim. We may just use it in the corner where the cap meets the wall. This will workout in this very curvy place. Today, we will be celebrating all three of our Dec. birthdays. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. I now can get a "senior citizens discount"!! Isn't life grand.!!
Old 12-10-2011, 02:05 AM   #35

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Hope you had a great celebration....I also have a Dec birthday (16th) I've been getting those senior discounts for several years now and they do come in handy. Some campgrounds we've been to give 10-15% senior discounts and even let you use the discount you get from any camping clubs that you belong to.
DebW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:22 PM   #36
sam

Default 90HiLo Classic restoration

Went to our trailer today and I saw what hubby did the last two days. Very pleased. Then my sister came and checked our remodel out. She is a very handy women. She is a working supervisor at a cabinet shop(uses her chemistry degree). Any way my husband is 11 years older than me so some restaurants just have been giving us both senior discounts for some years. Now I'm 55 and hubby is 66. My Birthday is Dec. 13,daughter is Dec. 20, and hubby is Dec. 21. The last thing I wanted was a child born in Dec. Birthday presents wrapped in christmas paper. We got some money that will be used to buy the new trim we need for the HiLo remodel. Anyway a happy birthday to you Deb.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:55 PM   #37

One of those Christmas babies I see. My wife, Joyce, has her 65th birthday on Dec. 24. She has never had a birthday party because it was always so busy getting ready for Christmas. My son and I took her for dinner this evening and gave her her birthday presents so she can enjoy them separate from Christmas. We try to do that every year.

Happy almost birthday Sam, Hubby, and Daughter!!
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:16 AM   #38

Sam
I know what you mean about not wanting a December baby. I also had a Dec. baby. My oldest daughters birthday is the day before mine Dec.15th. It really isn't a good month for having a birthday people are just so busy with Christmas. Use to get birthday/Christmas presents together, the few birthday parties that were planned for me as a kid got cancelled because of snow blizzards.

Rich,
Happy Birthday to your wife Joyce.
DebW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:28 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebW View Post
Sam
I know what you mean about not wanting a December baby. I also had a Dec. baby. My oldest daughters birthday is the day before mine Dec.15th. It really isn't a good month for having a birthday people are just so busy with Christmas. Use to get birthday/Christmas presents together, the few birthday parties that were planned for me as a kid got cancelled because of snow blizzards.

Rich,
Happy Birthday to your wife Joyce.

Joyce says thanks and Happy Birthday to you and your daughter. Happy Birthday to all of you deprived Christmas babies.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:58 AM   #40

Send a message via Yahoo to robobd

getting back on track, I know jim at j & r told me that when he rebuilt my wall in my 88 22L, he used a 2 part expanding glue that gets sandwitched under pressure and in above 65 degree temps to form a one piece wall section. For the foam trim in the corners, we tried useing it in mobile medical units(mri,pet-ct, cardiac cath labs) and it didn't work well at all. we went back to wood trim and it stood the test of time and abuse. P.S. Happy b.d. to all, an to all a good night and hope your remodel project goes better than the weather

robobd is offline   Reply With Quote