Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Off Topic Lounge For friendly, professional, informal exchange of non Hi-Lo topics. No politics or religion topics please.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:39 PM   #1
sam

Default Bought a new refrigerator fan

Bought a new refrigerator fan from our HiLo dealer. It is the one that goes on the inside shelf and takes two D batteries. It wouldn't work until hubby wrapped a thick rubberband around the body two times. Cheap thin walled unit made in china!! Good thing hubby took electrical electronics in school.This should come in handy with the average temp at 85 degrees. Off we go camping and our house sitter gets to enjoy our central air!! and our lovely,mysterious cats.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:22 AM   #2

Is it the little blue unit with an on and off switch? The reviews show that they are junk from the word go. I just found one on Amazon that doesn't appear to have the switch, a different model number. They said that they had 18 left in inventory. From what I have read, the older models were quite reliable. I ordered it a few days ago and am waiting for its arrival. I will report back with my findings.

I hope yours will work OK for you.

Rich

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:32 PM   #3

I forgot to mention that Camco has a fan that also has an odor filter. I have not seen much chatter about it.
Amazon.com: Camco 44123 RV Fridge Airator: Automotive

This is the one I ordered: http://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A10-2...m_cr_pr_sims_t I hope it will be OK.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 08-03-2011, 10:51 AM   #4

Default Doa

I got the fridge fan today from Amazon and it was DOA. The fan and motor were laying loose in the upper housing. It is held in place by two delicate solder connections. Bouncing around in a FedEx truck must have been too much for it. It is going back tomorrow.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 08-04-2011, 10:34 AM   #5

Default Where's the fan?

Where is the original refridgerator fan located. I can't find it on any parts breakdown diagrams. I have never heard it kick on. I could physically follow the switch wires but I would rather not. Thanks for the help. Paul
ptimbrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:46 AM   #6

The fan that is mounted behind the refrigerator is located behind the upper vent grill on our 2310H. I assume they are all somewhere in that area. The fans aren't usually a part of the fridge, that is why they aren't on the diagram. Some models do have an included fan.

The fan I was mentioning is one of the little battery operated ones that go inside the fridge to circulate the air to provide more even cooling. They are a good idea but are built like poor quality junk.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 08-04-2011, 12:18 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

I guess we are getting off the original topic,
but the fridge fan for cooling the coils, on my 2209 TowLite is inside the top of the fridge. It can not be accessed from the vent. You have to remove the top drawer, then remove the entire top, then there is another cover that comes off to expose the fan, it blows across the top of the coils and straight out the vent. I only know this because I mounted a cigerate plug in the wall next to the sensor panel and ran the wire to one of the main battery wires in the charger, it has it's own fuse, it doesn't go thru the master switch. It is for my 110 inverter.
(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopRichie77 View Post
I guess we are getting off the original topic,
but the fridge fan for cooling the coils, on my 2209 TowLite is inside the top of the fridge. It can not be accessed from the vent. You have to remove the top drawer, then remove the entire top, then there is another cover that comes off to expose the fan, it blows across the top of the coils and straight out the vent. I only know this because I mounted a cigerate plug in the wall next to the sensor panel and ran the wire to one of the main battery wires in the charger, it has it's own fuse, it doesn't go thru the master switch. It is for my 110 inverter.
The 2310H has a bigger fridge and does not have a drawer. The fan is mounted right behind the vent cover and is about 6" in diameter.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 08-04-2011, 11:31 PM   #9
sam

Default Refigerator fan

Our "cheap China fan worked very well. Just a basic model without an on and off switch. Hubby seemed to think our ref. cooled down faster pre trip.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichR View Post
I forgot to mention that Camco has a fan that also has an odor filter. I have not seen much chatter about it.
Amazon.com: Camco 44123 RV Fridge Airator: Automotive

This is the one I ordered: Amazon.com: Valterra A10-2604 FridgeCool 3 Volt 9.1 mA Fan: Automotive I hope it will be OK.
I have used both, the valterra unit has a bad shroud design around the blade and moves very little air.
The Camco uses a squirel cage fan design which moves alot more air and is the one I'm using now. It's a well built unit, the battery door/panel is difficult to remove to turn off the fan unless you depress the locking tab (at least it won't fall apart).The odor filter is the only down fall, the carbon cube is so small I can't figure how it would work, the air flow from the fan does not cross over the carbon cube.(a small box of arm&hammer baking soda would work better)
w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:15 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

I used the Camco fan in the 95, it worked very well. Broke the battery cover tabs off, droped it from about a foot when I went to replace the batteries, wrapped tape around it to keep closed and it keep working.
I bought it at WaMart a lot of years ago, they don't sell them anymore. Also use the Arm&Hammer, the one that is made for fridge use.
(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:28 AM   #12

Thanks for the help.

ptimbrell is offline   Reply With Quote