Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Lifestyle > Off Topic Lounge
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Off Topic Lounge For friendly, professional, informal exchange of non Hi-Lo topics. No politics or religion topics please.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:37 PM   #1
sam

Default Dump station

On our last campout we went to the dump station and had to wait for two others to dump. No one was using gloves. The Nurse in me was ready to give out a lecture about how unsanitary this was. Next time I will give out courtesy gloves. One came to empty out his port-a-potty and his wife expressed the need for sanitizer. I provided this. This is enough to spoil your lunch.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:46 AM   #2

My wife and I are both retired nurses.
A box of gloves is behind my seat in the truck and my/our hands never handle a dump hose with out them.
Nitrile mechanic gloves or latex. They don't need to be sterile just clean.

I am NOT a neat freak. But clean is a health issue that you don't want to visit while on a trip!

kd7ctk
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:30 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

I keep a few pair of these with me. Store in the bumper compartment. Wash after each use.

PVC Coated Chemical Gloves with Knit Wrist
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 03:19 PM   #4

I buy nitrile gloves by the box at Harbor Freight. I keep one in the garage, one in the TT and one in the boat. In addition to wearing them when dumping the trailer or boat holding tank I wear them when doing oil changes, greasing, caulking, etc.

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:21 PM   #5
sam

Default dump station

I have gloves in several locations in our home,truck and RV. I read a post about someone that pulled up to a dump station pulled the handle and just let the contents out. No hose. A beach was near by and the smell was horiffic. He did rinse the area.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:12 PM   #6

On our 1st trip out with the Hi-LO,this past month.We watched as the owner of the trailer next to us,pulled his sewer hose out of the in ground connection, and put it under the potable water tap, the one that is used to connect to the trailer. He pushed that hose up as far as it would go,pumped it up and down, like he was makeing butter! I now carry a bottle of bleach, and a small cup that I can soak the tap in before I connect.I do use gloves all the time I handle the sewer hose.
desert trailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:00 PM   #7
sam

Default Dump station

I remember a story about a dog that used the water connection at a campsite as his personal toilet. The next one to hook up would never know. Bleaching before use is a good idea. Had a Canadian ask me for "java" at a dump station. Thought he was referring to coffee. I had the bleach to give him. He wanted this in his tank to swish all the way back to Canada.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:42 PM   #8

Great dog story Sam, lol. I am going to tell my wife the dog.Now she will really watch that we do disinfect each time.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:47 PM   #9

Sam now I am in trouble,I meant to say tell my wife the dog STORY...OH NO...@! And its her birthday today.