Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Off Topic Lounge For friendly, professional, informal exchange of non Hi-Lo topics. No politics or religion topics please.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:07 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77
Default Early Snow Storm in the East

We had a snow storm last Sat. in eastern PA., it was a heavy wet snow about 8 inches in our area, was unusual for us to have snow in Oct. It took many trees down, knocked out electric, we were 5 1/4 days without power. I had 10 big tree limbs that came down, fortunately no major damage. Good thing we had a generator. Just got the power back on last night. My wife was going stir crazy without her computer. Makes you feel for the people that were flooded out this year.

(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:17 PM   #2

I wondered where you were. I am glad you guys made out ok. It looked terrible and to be without power in the winter for that long would be awful. You stayed in your house or in the HI-LOs?

Rolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:57 PM   #3

Hey Pop thanks for thinking of us here with the flooding.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:17 PM   #4
sam

Default Early snow storm

When the weatherr report says snow in Pa I always say a pray for our friends in that state. Glad to hear you survived with your generator. Also glad you didn't have and property dammage. Save the branches that came down for camping firewood. Last year we had a big storm and I was able to fill five garbage cans with firewood. Free is Free. I'm lucky that we have a space heater in our attic that uses natural gas. We could haul single mattresses up and be comfortable. I also have a kerosene heater and keep my Coleman stove and lantern in the house for such emergencies. We also have a gas stove and plenty ofbatteries for a radio or flashlights.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:23 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

When it first happened we couldn't get gasoline for the generator as the gas stations were out of power also, plus our drive way was blocked with 7 fallen limbs, all around 5" in diameter, was able to get some from one of our vehicles. After 3 days the daughters husband and 2 of there grown boys came and cleared the drive way, by then we could get gas and kerosene. The kerosene heater worked better than 2 electric cube heaters, Had our freezer, fridge and TV on the generator. By the end we had everything figured out very good. We haven't been out of power for that long since the 70tys. We had a wood burning heater so heat was no problem but due to the wife's breathing problem we had to get rid of it.
We stayed in the house, the Hi-Lo had 8" of wet snow on the top, to heavy to put up and we would have had to make constant trips to the house for food and stuff. Had to keep the fridge and freezer on the generator. We have a well, so we had no water, the electric company gave out water at local stores which we got as soon as we could get out. The snow started to melt on the roof right away so I collected water for the toilet. We did all this stuff back in the 70tys but we were young then and we forgot what to do, also we always had gas, kerosene and drinking water on hand.
(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:39 AM   #6

That more roughing it than most people do camping. I have a kerosene heater and 5 gallons of it in the garage. We had a big snowstorm on October 15 several years ago. The power compant has trimmed the hell out of the trees every years since because of all the flack they took. Easier to do here in Utah - We have something like 85% living in urban areas and not nearly as many trees as PA. I am glad you made out OK in that mess.

Rolff is offline   Reply With Quote