Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Off Topic Lounge For friendly, professional, informal exchange of non Hi-Lo topics. No politics or religion topics please.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:06 AM   #1

Default How fast do you drive ?

How fast do you drive when you're towing your trailer?

Neal

Old 05-03-2010, 10:03 AM   #2

67 to 70 mph

455lark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:39 PM   #3

Default How fast do you drive

What ever the legal speed limit is. But in bad weather or poor driving conditions I ajust the speed down to be safe. When in mountains I do drive slower as I am not as confortable going to fast as I am from a flat state.
Sam
Sam Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:50 AM   #4

All ST tires (trailer tires) have a maximum speed rating of 65 mph. Exceed that speed and you can expect premature failure from heat build-up.
bocojla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:53 PM   #5

The rating would be on the tire? Can you buy a higher rated tire?
Thanks for the heads up. I know I've done 75-80 before, but like Sam,
in the hills or mountains probably more like 60 at the most. Although in
the Rockies it's going to be alot of 30-40 up or down, and make sure your
brakes are good!
Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:43 PM   #6

I usually drive the legal speed limit too. Last trip I drove faster than usual (up to the legal 75mph limit) because I had about 2,500 miles to drive in only one week.

BTW, the speed rating of 65mph on S rated tires is for sustained speed at the tire's maximum rated load and maximum recomended pressure. If you have less than the max. load you can increase your sustained speed. As your tire pressure drops, your sustained speed must also be reduced for a given load. At speeds between 66 and 75 mph, Goodyear says it is necessary to increase the cold inflation pressures by 10 psi above the recommended pressure for the load on their s rated Marathons. Here's the link: Goodyear

I've driven in spurts up to 120 mph towing a light trailer with s rated tires with no ill effects. Disclaimer: Don't try this at home, as it may result in white knuckles, anal leakage or even death (in that order).

Chip
sushidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:31 PM   #7

I think I'll just stick to the legal limit. I don't have extra funds to pay tickets and I've long lost the need for speed.
Towlighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:32 AM   #8

sushidog -

The Goodyear Marathon document is very interesting. I've added it to our library. Thanks!

Neal
Old 05-09-2010, 02:00 PM   #9

Have only driven with mine on a 2 lane road with a speed limit of 55 pulling it with my 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 4.0 l and have done 55 with the load distribution hitch and anti sway and it handles great never know it's back there.

Harry
wvjeepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimandrobie View Post
If you have driven at speeds up to 120 and towing a trailer, you're an idiot.
Well they say stupid is as stupid does, so I guess I qualify on that count. But who amongst us hasn't done something stupid when they were 18? I see you served in the USAF. I served in the Army for 9 yrs. Both less than intelligent choices, when you consider that we volunteered (presumably) to put ourselves in harms way, allowing others to try to kill us at times (some succeeded killing more than a few friends, BTW). Though we apparently both survived such foolheartedness, that doesn't justify foolish risks, hence the disclaimer.

Chip
sushidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:46 PM   #11

Quote:
How fast do you drive when you're towing your trailer?
Your post is somewhat old, so I don't know if you, or anyone else, will see this to respond, but I was wondering about the effect of speed on your gas mileage.

We have a 1509T (yes, I know. It is small and light and not representative of others), and we tow using a sway bar and equalizer hitch, but I generally drive 55-60. I do this mostly to keep my mileage good (I tow with a 2009 Jeep Liberty Sport automatic). I find that at these speeds, on reasonably level ground, I get about 18 mpg. And I think that is great since my normal mileage on the highway on level roads on speed control is only about 22.

So I was wondering what your experiences have been with speeds and gas mileage. Does your mileage vary greatly with different speeds? Or does it remain fairly constant?

Thanks.
MikeFromMesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:04 PM   #12

Default Goodyer Marathon Tires

FYI: Last year I bought new tires for my 2704 and the dealer told me he had some cheaper tires from China. I advised him that I didn't want China tires and that I wanted Goodyear Marathon tires. Guess what my friends, they are made in China!
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:08 PM   #13

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
FYI: Last year I bought new tires for my 2704 and the dealer told me he had some cheaper tires from China. I advised him that I didn't want China tires and that I wanted Goodyear Marathon tires. Guess what my friends, they are made in China!
Want to hear another story? The tires on my Piper Super Cub PA-18 airplane are made in China. Best tires I've ever had on it.
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:23 AM   #14

We travel no faster then the speed limit, usually under, due to the fact that our hi-lo is older and heavier. Many factors such as weather, road conditions, traffic make a difference as to our speed limit.

1985 Hi-Lo 25'
2000 Silverado 1500
Tony and Wendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:32 AM   #15

I am not do the fast driving.. I have choose my limit that once again I can't cross it...
Jenny2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:00 AM   #16

Thanks to all the Veterans who have served during wartime. I was drafted but didn't leave the states even though the Cuban crisis extended my reserve time a few years. I don't consider myself a true veteran.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:15 PM   #17

Smile

I usually pull between 60 and 65 depends on road conditions and weather.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:17 PM   #18

Smile

Probably doesn't really apply to this particular thread, but I feel Lloyd's statement about not considering himself a true veteran needs to be addressed.

Relatively few veterans are Purple Heart or CIB wearing "combat" veterans. In no way does that discount the value of service of those, who because of age or circumstance, served in support or deterrent roles. It takes an entire army to protect us in peace, and defend us in war. The combat "spear" point of an army exists and is only effective because of the logistical infrastructure behind it. Lloyd, take pride in the honorable time and service you gave to this country, and next time there is a Veterans Day parade or event in your community, come join the rest of us vets in celebrating our service! You to, have had a contributing role in maintaining our freedom.

If you can't tell, I'm active in Veterans groups. Now I'll step off my soapbox.

Jim
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
JMDoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:26 PM   #19

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMDoering View Post
Probably doesn't really apply to this particular thread, but I feel Lloyd's statement about not considering himself a true veteran needs to be addressed.

Relatively few veterans are Purple Heart or CIB wearing "combat" veterans. In no way does that discount the value of service of those, who because of age or circumstance, served in support or deterrent roles. It takes an entire army to protect us in peace, and defend us in war. The combat "spear" point of an army exists and is only effective because of the logistical infrastructure behind it. Lloyd, take pride in the honorable time and service you gave to this country, and next time there is a Veterans Day parade or event in your community, come join the rest of us vets in celebrating our service! You to, have had a contributing role in maintaining our freedom.

If you can't tell, I'm active in Veterans groups. Now I'll step off my soapbox.

Jim
Thanks for your support!
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:36 PM   #20
TJM

Lloyd...YOU ARE A VETERAN!!! End of story. You served your country and Thank You.

Tom
Vietnam Veteran (and proud of it)
449th Bombardment Wing (H) SAC (Strategic Air Command)
1965-1969

TJM is offline   Reply With Quote