Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Off Topic Lounge For friendly, professional, informal exchange of non Hi-Lo topics. No politics or religion topics please.

Old 02-28-2010, 02:46 PM   #1

Default Insurance

I saw a posting on Yahoo about RV insurance. In particular the question was about "Loss Replacement" and if it was available.

We have an insurance policy on our Hi-Lo camper, it was $200 a year though State Farm, but neither us us know the details of what it covers. We're going to get details this coming week.

I did a quick search on the internet for RV insurance that covered total loss and the first one I came up with was RV America. I don't know anything about them.

I just called Progressive insurance and got a quote over the phone for total coverage which included loss replacement and it also covers the camper even when its not hooked up to the vehicle. It also covered personal items inside the camper up to $1000 but you can buy up to $99,000. Mind you all of this is ala-carte, so you pick and choose what you want, I chose everything with a $500 deductable just to see what the quote would be and it came to $277 a year on our camper (2201TL).

So keep in mind that I know very little about insurance but I did find out the total loss replacement is available, I'll share that on Yahoo too.

Anyone got any tips on insurance?

Neal

Old 02-28-2010, 05:07 PM   #2

We went with Progressive for our two campers with total coverage for about $250/year total for both. Our insurance agent/broker researched various companies and progressive came out on top.

RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 05:20 AM   #3

Location: I live in Bucks county Pa. It's above the Philly area.
Default Insurance?

I like Progressive because they had several plans and I saved any broker fee by doing it on there website. It's easy.
I have a High-low funlight,,1987.
bigmarty51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:55 AM   #4

i had progressive on both my motorhomes. i carried liability only because they weren't worth much. (1977 Ford Coachmen & "83 Pace Arrow) it was $125/yr which was good.
but they have a hefty cancelation fee so you don't get much back if you sell your RV.
Jthiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:00 PM   #5
sam

Default Hi-Lo trailer insurance

I have a friend who worked at an insurance agency..She told me that progressive ins. is rated very low,one step from junk status. I think you could check with your state ins.dept.to find out ins.ratings. We have always had Gmac insurance,Good Sam Vehicle ins.We pay 141.00 a year.We have a $100.00 deductible and it covers $3,000 Personal effects on the RV. We get a small reduction $11.00 when we call and put the the RV in storage for the winter. It is covered for dammage when parked. We have never had a claim,but Others in the Highways magazine speak well in regards to claims. 1-800-325-1190. The looking is free,get a quote in writting. This is a benefit through the Good Sam club. You don't have to be a member to get this ins. Some ins. co's will match benefits and prices of other co's. Hope this helps. Sam
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:58 PM   #6

My experience with Progressive has been nothing but excellent. Progressive covered my work truck and when I totaled it I actually got more than I expected (I believe more than it was worth), they were prompt and defended me when the other party held out for pain and suffering. I have no complaints about Progressive!

2007-22T TowLite 50th Anniversary
2008 Nissan Frontier SE 4X4 Crew Cab, Snug Top
NDgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:05 AM   #7

We also have the GMAC insurance on both of our Hi-Lo's. We have never had a claim either. We had State Farm to begin with but read about the GMAC in Highway Magazine and it had great reviews. Plus it was cheaper than what we were paying to State Farm and we got more coverage through GMAC. I do know you get a discount at GMAC if you are a Good Sam member as my kids were going to insure our older one but it was going to cost alittle more since they weren't Good Sam members. So we left it as it was. When we were comparing State Farm & GMAC, GMAC did cover more than State Farm in regards to personal effects. Also since our new trailer was new they gave us 100% replacement cost and 5,000 personal effects being clothing, food, anything that is not part of the trailer. State Farm rated it like they do cars. Check and compare coverage because they don't all cover the same way that I did find out.
DebW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:37 AM   #8
sam

Default Trailer ins.

It is good to know you had a very positive experience withProgressive Ins. They sure do a lot of advertising on TV.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:41 PM   #9

I am with American Family for 5 vehicles 2 campers 2 trailors and estate and they treat us very well .
Old 03-21-2011, 10:21 AM   #10
TJM

We have all of our insurance, less health, with American family. Have a $500 deduct for comp and collision, plus road assistance. Cost us $175 per year