Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Lifestyle > Off Topic Lounge
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Off Topic Lounge For friendly, professional, informal exchange of non Hi-Lo topics. No politics or religion topics please.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:18 AM   #21

Here is a short review of the Weber Baby Q100 grill:REVIEW: Weber Q100 “Baby Q” Portable Grill

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:41 PM   #22

Default that sounds like this one

that's taking up room until I find a better home for it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00146.jpg (95.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00145.jpg (88.8 KB, 21 views)

Wrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:19 PM   #23

I got one of these to keep the Baby Q in. HDX 27 gal. Tote-207585 at The Home Depot
It keeps it clean,and protected. There is room for other items, I can throw it in the truck and don't have to worry about something banging into it and can also pile things on top. The lid humps up a little bit when snapped on but without difficulty.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 07-02-2013, 07:34 PM   #24

Default Thanks for that tip

I've been contemplating something to store it in - just undecided what other stuff I'd want to store WITH it (scrapper brush, tin foil, my propane hose extension).

Any additional ideas there?
Old 07-06-2013, 01:31 PM   #25

Default Finally

the constant rains have let up, now its between a drizzle and dry, however the yard is much too wet to walk through (it's like walking on a sponge). Too wet for this sissy family to camp - but not too wet to try the new baby Q (on the porch).

First I oiled up the grate - then fired that baby up. As it had a "new" smell to it I allowed it to heat for 20-30 min. At that point it still had the new odor in it but as it was holding 585 degrees I decided it just needed time and/or smokey meat smells.

So on with the meal: first challenge was the noble hot dog. First grill impression, it's tiny. I'm used to a four burner one- I will have to adjust my servings and spacing. Second thought was just how fast it cooked. I guess that's due to the contents are closer to the flames plus NOT separated by additional grates usually used to catch/burn off the drippings. This evening I plan to grill chicken on it, something more greasy (and challenging) than dogs.

Initial conclusion: the dogs were fine, with no taste of the perceived odors.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:35 AM   #26

Default Second use

and the chicken came out just fine. What really surprised me was there were no flare ups. I always! have flare ups when cooking chicken with the skin intact.

Being aware of that I did use the lowest cooking temp possible - which seemed to hold between 325-340 degrees (with lid closed).
Old 07-08-2013, 07:40 PM   #27

Default tonights culinary treat was

a rack of baby back ribs. Sadly they were too big for the baby Q.
I guess I need to scratch that meal off the menu while camping.

Which brings up a big worry for me, how to buy and stock food items, I'm dependent upon several home fridge/freezers and generally cook too much - just in case someone drops by.

I'll venture a guess that the camper unit is 5 cubic (stands about 4 foot tall). Can/how do y'all get by with that or do you shop daily?
Old 07-08-2013, 08:04 PM   #28
sam

Default Refrigerator space

I write out a menu for each day and then go shopping. My friend taught me to cook at home where water is plentiful and a dishwasher is available. Some food is bought ready to microwave. Chill and freeze food at home. Then we put the ref. on propane 1 or two days ahead of time. Include a few ice packs for the freezer. We have three adults in our family and seem to be able to pack in the ref. more than we seem to consume. This way when you are camping you have more time to do activities and relax instead of spending all your time cooking and washing dishes. Our last campout tokk us on a five hr. drive and we arrived at our campsite at 6PM. Just had to heat up the mac'ncheese with tuna. Then I cut up some cucumbers and tomatoes. Easy and a quick clean up. We also had a tote of cannned goods and dry snack foods. For instance take a zip bag of the cereal instead of the whole box. It is good to know where a grocery store is in case you need something. Some camping trips are more laid back and you want to drive the neighbors crazy with your good outdoor cooking smells. It is okay to buy some convenience items such as mashed potatoes that you just heat up.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:49 PM   #29

Default thanks for the common sense approach

which apparently I'm lacking. I typically decide what to eat by groping around in the freezer then adding to it.

I never considered pre-cooking nor pre-packaged stuff, duh? I did once think of adding a microwave to the camper but as I seldom use one at home I blew it off.

Keep these thoughts rolling please, while I head off to bed dreaming of grilled meats.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:54 PM   #30
sam

Default cooking ideas

Some favorite appliances used for RV cooking. Toaster oven,microwave and crockpot. When you cook at home you are not using RV propane. You also would not be putting out heat and moisture into the RV.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:51 PM   #31

Default Tonights challenge

Baby Q VS. steak

Oh my, I actually got better grill marks with the Baby than my bigger grill. Perhaps it's because the meat is closer to the heat and there are no middle flavorizing bars separating the two.

Winner: ME.

As a side note, referring to earlier comments about propane exchange; you are correct. I exchanged another tank and the signage indicated it was 15 pounds (not in large letters but it was disclosed).
Old 07-09-2013, 07:32 PM   #32

It is nice to know that I am actually right sometimes and two times at that.

I'm glad to hear the Baby Q is working for you, and that I was right about the 15 pound tank fills.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 07-09-2013, 09:25 PM   #33

Default Yeah, it's pretty sneaky to underfill them

so as to disguise what would otherwise be a price hike, but that's marketing.

Still, I've come to prefer the quick in/out exchange system as compared to the olden times where I stood patiently by, swatting gnats, while my old tank was refilled.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:46 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrascal View Post
so as to disguise what would otherwise be a price hike, but that's marketing.

Still, I've come to prefer the quick in/out exchange system as compared to the olden times where I stood patiently by, swatting gnats, while my old tank was refilled.
Doing the exchange could save you some gas money going to get a refill, so it could balance out.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 07-09-2013, 10:34 PM   #35

Default Weber for me

Have the Weber Q as well as Weber at home. We use the portable one on trips and love it as much as our home model. It's great when we're at places other than the "woods" for a camp fire. Used it for everything from steaks to "ka-bobs." Bought the optional stand but after the first year's use, left it at home. Campgrounds usually have a table so that's where we use it.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:30 AM   #36

Default Weber stand

I went ahead and purchased one myself, figuring I'd rather have one and not need it than to need one and not have it. I also picked up a mat (to put below it) for those times I'd be using it alone - so as to help keep the surface neat/grease free, just in case it turns sloppy.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:51 PM   #37

Default Today was CHEAP hamburger meat (the best kind for this purpose)

and I'm mighty impressed- no flare ups, but a bit disappointed in that there wasn't room for the buns (which we like toasted golden brown).

Camper rules worked in that I used a regular toaster and all was well.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:05 AM   #38

Maybe you needed to buy the Q200 instead of the Baby Q. We have one of each but only take the Baby Q camping now. The Q200 was a little much for our camping trips so it gets to stay home along with the folding cart. But if we are going to have a big family camping expedition the Q200 is eager to go along.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 07-11-2013, 09:21 PM   #39

Default I think your original recommendation

for the smaller grill was correct and will generally fit my needs. So far its' done what I've asked (with adjustments) all but once. Those baby back ribs simply needed a larger cooking surface and the second higher shelf.

Today I removed the grate for cleaning/ then I simply wiped the interior down with paper towels - very good open access made this a cinch. The catch basin was half full with collected grease (from the burgers).

I'm happy with it and expect many years of use from it.

NOTE: Several days ago -after exchanging the tank previously mentioned - I realized I now had three spare tanks. Trying to determine just how that happened, I remembered. Someone local was shipping overseas and had a tank posted for free. I was first to respond and so brought it home; it still had enough propane to fire the larger Weber through several meals.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:39 PM   #40

Default I can't believe it

but I've now relied upon my baby Q (with one exception) almost daily since it came home. I am totally impressed! with this little thing.

With my full sized rack of ribs being the exception - this grill has done everything I've asked of it - for feeding two.

This coming weekend should be an exception as I'll be feeding 6 1/2 mouths. Obviously it'll be back to my full sized grill.

Not putting down any competing brands, just hi-lighting this particular grill as a recommended one - worthy of your consideration.

Happy grilling.

PS: want another Wrascal recommendation (non sponsored, of course) try a Yuengling with those ribs, chicken, pork chops or ribs.