Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Off Topic Lounge For friendly, professional, informal exchange of non Hi-Lo topics. No politics or religion topics please.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:02 AM   #41

I can say that Weber and Yuengling do make good mealtime partners.

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:32 AM   #42

Default Update

I just stumbled upon this old topic - but figured I'd update it.

I've used this grill probably 4 times a week since new, and just this past week changed out the first 20# propane tank. That's three months of use! My four burner model used one tank a month.

Plus it's gone camping twice (very portable). Other than initial price, what's not to like about it? I'm extremely pleased with it.

NOTE: This propane tank is not slam empty, just close. Close enough that the baby Weber won't stay burning on a low setting. I've moved this tank over to the bigger grill - to see if it works any better there. Now I just need some ribs to try it out.

Wrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:57 PM   #43

Default OK, things are slow today

hence this posting, just to give y'all something to read.

Yesterday I grilled ribs, which required my larger grill. That above propane tank that I thought was low and swapped it out ... cooked these ribs.

That was two full hours, on low. And so the tank soldiers on ...
Old 10-31-2013, 12:36 PM   #44

This is sort of on this subject. I don't know if anyone has or even remembers the old style Coleman stoves that you had to pump up. I had one just laying around (I hate to throw anything away when it still works, just because it's just old) so I was fooling around with it, cleaning it up and such when my wife wanted me to go to Wal-Mart with her. I happened to go through the sporting goods dept. and in the section for Coleman stuff was a propane conversion kit for the old style stoves. I bought one and let me tell you, it works like a charm. You can either use the small bottles or buy a hose ans screw a 20# bottle to it. Converter costs around $10 to $15 depending where you live.

Happy camping,

Bear
bearshrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:00 PM   #45

I did that a couple of years ago. It saves on messing around filling and pumping the old tank and also provides a steady flame. While you were at Walmart you should have picked up a Coleman stove top coffee maker, it will make a 12 cup pot on top of the old stove. I just got one about a month ago and put it to the test on our last camping expedition. Purchase the Coleman Coffeemaker at Walmart.com. Save money. Live better. It's about $11 cheaper at Amazon.com.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:00 PM   #46

My bride and I were given a coleman stove as a wedding gift, nothing says love like a Coleman. I sold it in a yard sale, still unopened, about 15 years later.

I really loved that thing!
Old 10-31-2013, 10:31 PM   #47

Send a message via Yahoo to jcurtis95

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearshrum View Post
This is sort of on this subject. I don't know if anyone has or even remembers the old style Coleman stoves that you had to pump up. I had one just laying around (I hate to throw anything away when it still works, just because it's just old) so I was fooling around with it, cleaning it up and such when my wife wanted me to go to Wal-Mart with her. I happened to go through the sporting goods dept. and in the section for Coleman stuff was a propane conversion kit for the old style stoves. I bought one and let me tell you, it works like a charm. You can either use the small bottles or buy a hose ans screw a 20# bottle to it. Converter costs around $10 to $15 depending where you live.

Happy camping,

Bear
Bear,

Years ago I bought a table top at an auction to get an item in Carnival Glass which my wife and I are ardent collectors. Unbeknownst to me at the time the table top included an old Coleman #530 camp stove. I eventually cleaned it up and it works like a champ. A little history,the #520 was originally produced during WW2 and called a pocket stove. Over 1-million were produced for use during the war. Famed war correspondent Ernie Pyle ranked it right behind the jeep for its usefulness. Later the civilian version #530 was introduced as the perfect pal for hunting, fishing and camping and was produced from 1946 to 1949. I use it occasionally and it is perfect for brewing a pot of coffee or frying an egg when out in the wild. They are evidently fairly collectible as they are listed on eBay anywhere from $45 to $105. If nothing else it will come in handy during an emergency and is a good conversation piece.

Jcurtis95
jcurtis95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 02:24 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrascal View Post
Baby Q VS. steak

Oh my, I actually got better grill marks with the Baby than my bigger grill. Perhaps it's because the meat is closer to the heat and there are no middle flavorizing bars separating the two.

Winner: ME.

As a side note, referring to earlier comments about propane exchange; you are correct. I exchanged another tank and the signage indicated it was 15 pounds (not in large letters but it was disclosed).
Just hauled my old Char Broil with lifetime warranty to the recycler who took it home. I cannot thank you guys enough with your recommendation on the Webers!!!!

Bought the Q2200 with stand from Wally World and have used it about 10 times and IT WILL NOT FLARE UP!!!!!! The ultimate tests was the Boston Butt Pork roast I cooked Friday. It did nearly fill the catch-pan but the end result was awesome!!!

I think a little smaller model would be better for RV camping though but, we'll see!! THANKS AGAIN!!!!! Bob
Bubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:18 PM   #49

Had Amazon send me a new Weber 1200 while camping. Best price and speed of delivery. My very old, cheap, grill finally gave up the fight.
Side trays and thermometer(an absolute necessity).

I do ribs that take 2+ hours to cook and it still does it well.
Grill size is very adequate for 2-3 people.

No flare ups and good collection for grease.

AAA rating from me!!!!! It isn't inexpensive. You get what you pay for!
kd7ctk
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 03:58 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbie View Post
Just hauled my old Char Broil with lifetime warranty to the recycler who took it home. I cannot thank you guys enough with your recommendation on the Webers!!!!

Bought the Q2200 with stand from Wally World and have used it about 10 times and IT WILL NOT FLARE UP!!!!!! The ultimate tests was the Boston Butt Pork roast I cooked Friday. It did nearly fill the catch-pan but the end result was awesome!!!

I think a little smaller model would be better for RV camping though but, we'll see!! THANKS AGAIN!!!!! Bob
Update: Now, I have a shiny purple baby Q1200 for the RV. It fits perfectly where I have hauled my SS portable we've had for years..... As soon as the College World Series is over, we'll try it out............ Geaux Tigers!!!!
Bubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 07:30 PM   #51

I bought a stainless steel tabletop 20000 btu at Costco for $100 last week. Used it once for 7 burgers and it did really good. Seems to be made of heavier guage steel then the one I looked at at cabelas. Now I want a really long hose so I can use one of the front 20# propane bottles to use it without having to move the bottle.
Duro NXR Table Top Gas BBQ Grill | Costco Weekender
My dream would be to take the inside cabnet in the bathroom and convert it so it was a slide out grill area on the outside. Have you seen those outback campers with the slide out kitchen?

Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote