Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Off Topic Lounge For friendly, professional, informal exchange of non Hi-Lo topics. No politics or religion topics please.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:09 PM   #1

Default Progressive lenses

History, I've needed/worn progressive lenses for 10-12? years and I've replaced them every two-three years. Previously I've never had any trouble with them.

UNTIL ... today when I picked up a new pair of "nikonpolys" from Walmart. Put them on in the store and wonderful, everything clear and scratch free. Driving home and again wonderful. Sit at the computer and not so good!

The "in focus" area is very limited, requiring me to scan up/down (which I've occasionally had to do with other glasses) or track the page left/right. I've never had a problem scanning side to side until these.

I'm going back tomorrow and expect them to say I "need to adjust to them", but my point is I've never previously had to adjust as they've always worked side to side.

Is there a Dr. in the house? Any better solutions than nikonpoly?

Wrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:40 PM   #2
sam

Default New eye glasses

We get our eye glasses at Walmart. If I am remembering correctly you have a 30 day satisfaction guarantee.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:54 PM   #3

I seem to remember there being a satisfaction period so that's not my concern. I was just wondering what, if necessary, is a better lens; I think my last pair were the cheapest ones avail - but from a different chain store.

I didn't go back today because I figured I'd allow several days - nip in the bud - as that's what they're likely to recommend. And maybe I will get used to them. Problems today, while still noticeable, don't seem to be quite as bad as I thought yesterday. Outdoors is no problem.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:37 PM   #4

My cousin is an optometrist. She told me that the quality control of many places that grind lenses leaves a lot to be desired. She often has customers complain about a prescription only to find out that the new glasses are way off.

I got rid of the hassle by having lasik a number of years ago. I'm still at 20/15 in both eyes.

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:34 AM   #5

Yesterday I found myself at Walmart and the eye shop was empty of customers so I wondered in. The Dr. made a few "adjustments" to the nose pads and said try that.

I still notice it but I think I'M adjusting to them ... I don't seem to be shifting my head left-right as I read these pages. I am still occasionally shifting my head up/down, but I have had to (sometimes) do that before.

On a better note, while there I was able to purchase one box of Winchester .22LR ammo. 333 rounds, $15 plus tax.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Winchester 22.jpg (96.2 KB, 7 views)
Old 07-13-2014, 09:41 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrascal View Post
Yesterday I found myself at Walmart and the eye shop was empty of customers so I wondered in. The Dr. made a few "adjustments" to the nose pads and said try that.

I still notice it but I think I'M adjusting to them ... I don't seem to be shifting my head left-right as I read these pages. I am still occasionally shifting my head up/down, but I have had to (sometimes) do that before.

On a better note, while there I was able to purchase one box of Winchester .22LR ammo. 333 rounds, $15 plus tax.
Great! Now you're all set for the next time you encounter hornets nesting in your trailer!

I have progressive lenses too, but I get them from an optometrist that uses a custom lens making facility. I was getting my glasses from Pearl Optical before this and there is no comparison. My current ones may cost more, but they are far better.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:06 PM   #7

Just a follow-up.

As the days progressed I found the new lenses to be less and less of a problem; now I don't even notice it. This was the first time I ever had to adjust to new lenses.
On another follow-up, I found a new launch vehicle for that .22 stuff - a Browning 1911-22 (compact). 600 successful launches and not a single flaw.

[S] Four Eyes
Old 07-28-2014, 06:41 PM   #8

Congrats on the new launch vehicle.

Though I noticed that you didn't mention whether you can see well enough with your new lenses to hit the target.
w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrascal View Post
Just a follow-up.

As the days progressed I found the new lenses to be less and less of a problem; now I don't even notice it. This was the first time I ever had to adjust to new lenses.
On another follow-up, I found a new launch vehicle for that .22 stuff - a Browning 1911-22 (compact). 600 successful launches and not a single flaw.

[S] Four Eyes
Those Browning 1911 .22s are pretty cool! My .22 lead launchers are a Browning Buckmark, a S&W K-frame revolver, and an Erma M1 Carbine replica. They are all fun.

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:09 PM   #10

Both the Browning and my Walther P22 made the steel-plates sing; but I was only plinking and not striving for accuracy.
I intentionally left the long guns home for this face-off.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:57 PM   #11

Glad to hear your eyes adjusted to the glasses. While I don't wear progressives, everytime that I get a new prescription I have a day or so of a feeling that I'm stepping into a hole in front of me till my eyes adjust. The last prescription i got was for my first pair of bi-focals. I couldn't get used to those at all and I'm now wearing single vision and looking over the top of them to read. LOL. Oh well. Eventually I guess I will have to wear the bi-focals.

misfit429 is offline   Reply With Quote