Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Off Topic Lounge For friendly, professional, informal exchange of non Hi-Lo topics. No politics or religion topics please.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:03 PM   #21

The strange bump under the carpet is probably where the factory boxed in the water lines and electrical wires. That is what I found when I pulled my carpet out and installed new flooring.

Bob

retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:39 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcamper47 View Post
The strange bump under the carpet is probably where the factory boxed in the water lines and electrical wires. That is what I found when I pulled my carpet out and installed new flooring.

Bob
Good to know. Did you recarpet or use another type of flooring? Might be hard to use vinyl self stick tiles like I was planning if this is the case.

Kathy

zookeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:28 PM   #23

Kathy,

On the opening page of the forum, go to "Interior", click on that and scroll down 6 posts to "flooring - morstang". I posted pictures of my flooring job on that thread. If you look close you will see the "box" running against the side wall. I used Allure oak plank self stick flooring from Home Depot. I had some oak woodgrain contact paper laying around that I covered the "side wall" of the box with. I trimmed pieces of the flooring to fit the top. I then installed a piece of outside corner molding (stained & urethaned) on the outside edge of the box to cover the seam where the top met the side. The molding almost covered the entire side of the box. If you have any questions, send me a pm with your phone number and I will call you.

Bob
Old 07-06-2012, 02:03 PM   #24

Kathy,

Here is a better picture.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flooring 004.jpg (95.8 KB, 24 views)
Old 07-06-2012, 02:49 PM   #25

Unhappy

Quote:
Kathy,

On the opening page of the forum, go to "Interior", click on that and scroll down 6 posts to "flooring - morstang". I posted pictures of my flooring job on that thread. If you look close you will see the "box" running against the side wall. I used Allure oak plank self stick flooring from Home Depot. I had some oak woodgrain contact paper laying around that I covered the "side wall" of the box with. I trimmed pieces of the flooring to fit the top. I then installed a piece of outside corner molding (stained & urethaned) on the outside edge of the box to cover the seam where the top met the side. The molding almost covered the entire side of the box. If you have any questions, send me a pm with your phone number and I will call you.

Bob
Nice choice - it looks great! I don't know why I didn't think of using the allure as we used it a couple of years back in our house which has mostly concrete sub floors. Very easy to work with. Definitely going to use it in the back bedroom and your suggestion of corner molding should do the trick with the box. Now I'm wondering if I can use it in the living area with the tipout.

Kathy
zookeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:13 PM   #26

Kathy,

I left the carpet on the bedroom floor and refloored the rest of the trailer. Don't know how or if it would affect a tipout. Good luck with your project.

Bob
Old 07-06-2012, 09:17 PM   #27
sam

Default Squares/self stick tile

I have read on another camping forum that the self sticktiles didn't hold up at all. I think you would end up "buttering the floor,and or tile to get it to stick down permanent with floor glue". The allure seems much easier to install and sure is pretty ,as I saw it in HD recently. Go to the irv2 website and do a search for flooring replacement. Many have done this upgrade. Check in the vintage section. Another good friendly camping website.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:59 AM   #28

Send a message via Yahoo to jcurtis95

Quote:
Kathy,

I left the carpet on the bedroom floor and refloored the rest of the trailer. Don't know how or if it would affect a tipout. Good luck with your project.

Bob
retired camper47 and Zookeeper,,

I'm curious, since you have replaced all your floor tile and in zookeeper's case preparing to remove that small carpeted area in front of the tilt out, is the flooring beneath the carpeted area the same as the tile flooring throughout the trailer? DW wants to remove the carpet and use either a small area rug, carpet runner, or throw rug. That little carpeted area has some stains from the previous owners and it does collect grass clippings and outside grit more easily than would a throw rug. I would appreciate a pic from zookeeper when and if you remove that area of carpet.

Jerry Curtis
2406 T
jcurtis95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:34 AM   #29

Jerry,

Yes, the flooring underneath the carpet is the same linoleum as in the kitchen and bathroom. However, my unit is a wide body and the linoleum was not wide enough to cover the front livingroom area. Thus, I have a seam in the livingroom area. Check out the first 2 pictures from my initial post on the flooring. The factory used a real cheap foam to put under the carpet. They used lots & lots of staples to hold the carpet and foam down to the floor. If you do pull your carpet, you will have all kinds of little holes showing in the linoleum.

Bob
Old 07-07-2012, 01:07 PM   #30

Quote:
Jerry,

Yes, the flooring underneath the carpet is the same linoleum as in the kitchen and bathroom. However, my unit is a wide body and the linoleum was not wide enough to cover the front livingroom area. Thus, I have a seam in the livingroom area. Check out the first 2 pictures from my initial post on the flooring. The factory used a real cheap foam to put under the carpet. They used lots & lots of staples to hold the carpet and foam down to the floor. If you do pull your carpet, you will have all kinds of little holes showing in the linoleum.

Bob
Bob,

Would you kindly post the link for the two pics? I couldn't find them under flooring, carpet or your recent posts.

thanks,

Jerry Curtis
2406 T
Old 07-07-2012, 02:07 PM   #31

Jerry,

On the opening page, go to "Interior". Look for the post "flooring - morstang". That is where you will find the pics. Picture #1 shows the seam in the linoleum next to the wall. Picture #2 shows the overall view of the linoleum in the trailer.

Bob
Old 07-07-2012, 04:58 PM   #32

Thanks Bob,

Great job on the flooring, looks professional. I would show them to my wife but then she would expect me to add the wood floor. May look into it anyway. I noticed in a couple of the pictures there looks to be a split table leaf attached to the wall in front of the couch. Is that a factory option or did you do that yourself? As I said before, when we travel, we make the dining table into a bed and make it up daily and bring along a couple of folding tables to eat on. I kind of like your setup.

Jerry Curtis
2406 T
Old 07-07-2012, 06:16 PM   #33

Jerry,

Yes, that is a factory installed split leaf table. You can see the metal fingers on the extension leaf behind the table. I have a full size couch going across the front of the trailer. The added leaf in the table enlarges the eating area nicely. My setup doesn't use the table as part of the bed. The couch folds out to a double size bed and I have a queen bed in the rear of the trailer.

Bob