Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Off Topic Lounge For friendly, professional, informal exchange of non Hi-Lo topics. No politics or religion topics please.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:55 AM   #1

Default Reattaching awning bracket

The back awning bracket on our 2000 HiLo 2710 Classic was ripped off (that's another story) & we need to know what's underneath the location on upper part of the trailer to reattach it. We have the original piece & really need to know that in order to use our trailer awning. Appreciate any help.

2rhagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:47 AM   #2

Default Reattaching awning bracket

The awning screws go into a strip if wood. If the wood is to damaged to bad for the screws to reatach the bracket. Try bolting the bracket to a flat piece of metal long enough to reach past the bad wood on each side and screw to good wood. I have used this prosedure many times and you end up with a working repair that does not look bad. I sugest you paint the metal white so it does not rust.

Sam Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:08 PM   #3

Excellent suggestion. My front lower bracket also got ripped off (don't ask) and while the screws "sort of" hold it in, it's not secure.

Thanks for the great idea!
cahuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 07:36 PM   #4
Site Team

I've used epoxy in the past to repair torn out screw holes, but the metal strip idea sounds stronger to me.

- Jack
Old 11-19-2010, 02:32 PM   #5

The weight of a water laden awning may cause the bracket to break away. A fellow Hi-Lo owner advised me to check mine and sure enough it was sagging badly because the lag bolt was stripping out. A good idea to keep an eye on it!
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 03:05 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

Is there a cover of some kind for the awning? I see mildew on mine and the trailer has to set outside.
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:57 PM   #7

I have had this problem with my 2001, 29' HiLo. The small cap screws or lag bolts were pulling out. I removed the wooden trim piece on the inside of the bottom half, used a longer drill bit to drill upwards from where the awning bracket mounted, and drilled all the way thru the wood. I then ran bolts thru the holes from the inside, placed the bracket back in place, and put nuts and lock washers on the bolts. I had to countersink the bolt holes on the inside so that the wooden trim piece would lay flat when reinstalled. This took care of the problem for me. I also made 2 "spacers" from 4 x 4 lumber. I cut them about 6 - 8" long and painted them white. I place them between the awning bracket and the lower body half when I have the awning up. This prevents the brackets from "wiggling" when the wind blows. I had to adjust the thickness of the 4 x 4's to fit the gap between the brackets and the trailer side. Just have to remember to remove them before lowering the top.
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 10:47 AM   #8
Site Team

One thing you can do to prevent water from "puddling" on an extended canopy is to not raise both sides equally. I normally set one end about 2-3 "clicks" lower than the other so that water runs off if it rains.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 05:46 PM   #9

I keep the awning end away from my door 3 holes lower than the opposite end. I put a small mark with a Sharpie felt tip marker at the holes I want to lock in at on the awning arm. Now I don't have to count the holes when I raise the awning to insure one end is lower than the other.
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:10 AM   #10

Default Awning Bolts

I did a similar fix as Retiredcamper, by drilling up thru! I used a forster drill on the wood cover and the top of the bolt and washer is visible but countersunk enough to not be that noticable.

2704 Towlite
2004 Expedition

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote