Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Lifestyle > Off Topic Lounge
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Off Topic Lounge For friendly, professional, informal exchange of non Hi-Lo topics. No politics or religion topics please.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:16 PM   #41

The antenna is for a railroad radio. We were out watching trains when I took the picture. The radio is on the roof too, that way I could hear it from our perch higher up under a highway overpass. We can hear the hot box detectors that are located 5 miles from this location in each direction that gives us a little more time to set up for the pictures.
The seating in the rear usually goes with us to the flat spot at the top to use while waiting. (in the shade and out of the rain). You can see from the picture where we usually take our shots at this location. It is a two seater, I was using one when I took the picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140504 NS 8034 enon valley 049.jpg (81.6 KB, 12 views)

Old 07-19-2014, 04:26 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
The antenna is for a railroad radio. We were out watching trains when I took the picture. The radio is on the roof too, that way I could hear it from our perch higher up under a highway overpass. We can hear the hot box detectors that are located 5 miles from this location in each direction that gives us a little more time to set up for the pictures.
The seating in the rear usually goes with us to the flat spot at the top to use while waiting. (in the shade and out of the rain). You can see from the picture where we usually take our shots at this location. It is a two seater, I was using one when I took the picture.
Sounds like you are a railfan, then! You may be interested in knowing that I live 4 miles, as the crow flies, from the Tehachapi Loop. For those not familiar with it:

Tehachapi Loop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:45 PM   #43

I figured from your location you wouldn't be far from it. Probably close enough the railfans drive you nuts.
I am also a retired railroader (I was chief cook and bottle washer of a shortline) and modeler, so I try not to appear over enthusiastic
Old 07-19-2014, 05:32 PM   #44

Quote:
I figured from your location you wouldn't be far from it. Probably close enough the railfans drive you nuts.
I am also a retired railroader (I was chief cook and bottle washer of a shortline) and modeler, so I try not to appear over enthusiastic
Yes, the Loop is below our location so we can actually hear the train whistles from our property. If you're ever out this way, let me know. We also have a nice railroad museum at the recently rebuilt depot and a train toy store in the town of Tehachapi:

Tehachapi Depot Railroad Museum

http://trainsetc.biz/
Old 07-19-2014, 08:50 PM   #45

Thanks Greg
My BIL lives some place in California but I don't know where, we had planned on meeting at my SIL in Phoenix next year so that is probably as close as we will get.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:49 PM   #46

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckydog671 View Post
Yes, the Loop is below our location so we can actually hear the train whistles from our property. If you're ever out this way, let me know. We also have a nice railroad museum at the recently rebuilt depot and a train toy store in the town of Tehachapi:

Tehachapi Depot Railroad Museum

Blank Title - Home
All right Greg, if you go through Kramer Junction to get to San Diego, you must be familiar with I-15 through the Cajon Pass, which is also a very popular spot for rail fans, with all the switchbacks through the canyon. Up to 150 trains per day can go through this canyon, which follows the path of the old "Route 66". I'm about 35 miles south so I don't hear any trains, just jets from March Airfield. I'm not a big rail fan, but my dad retired from AT&SF and was the engineer on the last AT&SF passenger train from Clovis, NM to Belen, NM before it changed to Amtrak. Not sure what any of this has to do with Hi Lo trailers, but it is fun!
1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:12 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry View Post
All right Greg, if you go through Kramer Junction to get to San Diego, you must be familiar with I-15 through the Cajon Pass, which is also a very popular spot for rail fans, with all the switchbacks through the canyon. Up to 150 trains per day can go through this canyon, which follows the path of the old "Route 66". I'm about 35 miles south so I don't hear any trains, just jets from March Airfield. I'm not a big rail fan, but my dad retired from AT&SF and was the engineer on the last AT&SF passenger train from Clovis, NM to Belen, NM before it changed to Amtrak. Not sure what any of this has to do with Hi Lo trailers, but it is fun!
Yes, I guess we've gone off on a tangent but I figure it's OK since we are in the "Off Topic" area.

Yep, that's the way we go to San Diego, via the Cajon Pass speedway! I've seen the trains there but didn't realize there were that many.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:03 AM   #48

Quote:
Yes, I guess we've gone off on a tangent but I figure it's OK since we are in the "Off Topic" area.

Yep, that's the way we go to San Diego, via the Cajon Pass speedway! I've seen the trains there but didn't realize there were that many.
That pass is quite the speedway, but like all of our earlier roads, it was a two lane highway that hugged the side of the mountain. Going up I always try to maintain a faster speed but coming down I try to stay out of everyones way. For what is mostly a two lane highway, the 395 is also a speedway.
1999 21T Tow Lite
Old 07-20-2014, 09:43 AM   #49

The closest tracks to my house are estimated at 3-4 miles away yet at night I can hear their whistles. From this distance I enjoy them but there are homes just a hundred feet from those same tracks. I bet they have a vastly different perspective.

And feel free to post ANYTHING HERE, this post was started simply to enjoy, entertain. Oh maybe a bit to warn of hornets getting into our trailers.
Wrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:06 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrascal View Post
The closest tracks to my house are estimated at 3-4 miles away yet at night I can hear their whistles. From this distance I enjoy them but there are homes just a hundred feet from those same tracks. I bet they have a vastly different perspective.

And feel free to post ANYTHING HERE, this post was started simply to enjoy, entertain. Oh maybe a bit to warn of hornets getting into our trailers.
As a kid growing up with trains, nothing could beat the sound of a big old steam engine as she is pulling out of the station, or the sound of her whistle, especially as she goes through mountain canyons and towns. The whistle on a diesel just isn't the same as a steam engine.
1999 21T Tow Lite
Old 07-20-2014, 10:26 AM   #51

If you remember steam whistles fondly you might be interested in Union Pacific railroad that still has several steam locomotives in service, and has just removed a "Big Boy" 4-8-8-4 from the park at Pomona and taken it to Cheyenne to rebuild it and place in service for excursions. It should be running in 2019. I may see you then. The Big Boy was one of the largest steam locomotives built.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:17 AM   #52

Quote:
If you remember steam whistles fondly you might be interested in Union Pacific railroad that still has several steam locomotives in service, and has just removed a "Big Boy" 4-8-8-4 from the park at Pomona and taken it to Cheyenne to rebuild it and place in service for excursions. It should be running in 2019. I may see you then. The Big Boy was one of the largest steam locomotives built.
Is that a Big Boy at the Henry Ford museum in Dearborn? It's a whopper.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:05 PM   #53

Quote:
Yes, I read about the transfer of the Big Boy to Wyoming and I never saw it when it was here in Southern California.
1999 21T Tow Lite
Old 07-20-2014, 02:11 PM   #54

Since we are on the subject of trains, my grandparents lived a short stroll away from the Nevada Northern depot in East Ely, NV. My grandfather was a train mechanic for a time. The trains, including the old steam locomotives, would haul copper ore from the mines at Ruth (where my grandfather lived and also worked for awhile) to the smelter at McGill. Ruth was a "company" town that they actually ended up moving the whole town because they wanted to mine under it, so there was "old" Ruth and "new" Ruth where my father was born. They eventually moved their house in Ruth to the present location in East Ely.

They still have a couple of steam engines, 4-6-0 no. 40 and 2-8-0 no. 93 that they use for tourism and events. I rode on 93 a few years back. If you are a railfan and have never been there, you should check it out. Combine it with a Hi-Lo trip to Great Basin National Park (see how I worked that in to keep it RV related?).

Here is the Nevada Northern website, if interested:

Nevada Northern Railway - The Ghost Train of Old Ely

My dad is on the left, I'm on the right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 068.jpg (97.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 090.jpg (98.2 KB, 16 views)
Old 07-20-2014, 06:10 PM   #55

It has been a great few months for steam locomotives. In addition to a Big Boy, Norfolk and Western 611 was pulled from the Transportation Museum in Roanoke for a 2nd refurbishment and will be pulling excursions in 2015. Also, the last N&W Y6 Mallet is coming home to Roanoke from a museum in St Louis. Hopefully, it will stay where it belongs, with the 611 (J) and 1218 (A).

Fire Up 611! | Norfolk & Western Class J 611 Steam Passenger Locomotive

http://www.vmt.org/
motobuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:06 PM   #56

I had a young boy that just turned 18 help me with a repaint on a diesel switcher (SW7) for a tourist line 22 years ago. He became the fireman when they got a steam locomotive, and went on to the Western Maryland Scenic where he was trainmaster. He is now the chief mechanical officer at the Heber Valley Railroad in Utah, and has been featured on the History Channel in their "Young Guns of Steam. He has operated the SP Daylight for Doyal McCormick and bailed the PM out when they had locomotive problems a couple years ago.
I did some time working on a Canadian National 10 wheeler that belongs to Jerry Jacobson back in 87, but never saw her under steam. My boss at the Kiski wanted a steam locomotive and I begged him to wait until I was retired. They are too much work for this old man. I had enough on my plate keeping a 1943 Alco S-1 running.
We hope to take the HILO to see Mike in Utah next year.

Unfortunately NS has canceled their steam program for the rest of the year because of too much traffic and too few crews.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:14 PM   #57

Quote:
Since we are on the subject of trains, my grandparents lived a short stroll away from the Nevada Northern depot in East Ely, NV. My grandfather was a train mechanic for a time. The trains, including the old steam locomotives, would haul copper ore from the mines at Ruth (where my grandfather lived and also worked for awhile) to the smelter at McGill. Ruth was a "company" town that they actually ended up moving the whole town because they wanted to mine under it, so there was "old" Ruth and "new" Ruth where my father was born. They eventually moved their house in Ruth to the present location in East Ely.

They still have a couple of steam engines, 4-6-0 no. 40 and 2-8-0 no. 93 that they use for tourism and events. I rode on 93 a few years back. If you are a railfan and have never been there, you should check it out. Combine it with a Hi-Lo trip to Great Basin National Park (see how I worked that in to keep it RV related?).

Here is the Nevada Northern website, if interested:

Nevada Northern Railway - The Ghost Train of Old Ely

My dad is on the left, I'm on the right.
My dad retired from ATSF as an engineer, but when I was in my teens he was a fireman, and for a long time on the "extra" board so he would get called for a "helper", which was just an engine used to help push a heavy train up the western side of the Manzano mountains in New Mexico. Twice I was smuggled onto those helper engines, the first time was a steam engine, and I don't recall seeing my dad shovel that much coal, and the second time was on a diesel. The trip was about 50 miles roundtrip. I would have to wait at the far south end of the yard, out of site of the yardmaster, and board the engine after it was out of the yard.
1999 21T Tow Lite
Old 07-21-2014, 06:16 AM   #58

Just to rub it in to those of you rail fans who are gainfully employed: Brenda and I will be on the Western Maryland on Wednesday with our grandchildren, Cumberland to Frostburg and back. Brenda grew up in Mt Savage and this system is part of her upbringing.
2014 Ford F-350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:42 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry View Post
My dad retired from ATSF as an engineer, but when I was in my teens he was a fireman, and for a long time on the "extra" board so he would get called for a "helper", which was just an engine used to help push a heavy train up the western side of the Manzano mountains in New Mexico. Twice I was smuggled onto those helper engines, the first time was a steam engine, and I don't recall seeing my dad shovel that much coal, and the second time was on a diesel. The trip was about 50 miles roundtrip. I would have to wait at the far south end of the yard, out of site of the yardmaster, and board the engine after it was out of the yard.
Didn't know you were a former "Hobo!" Sounds like some great memories!
Old 07-21-2014, 07:44 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Just to rub it in to those of you rail fans who are gainfully employed: Brenda and I will be on the Western Maryland on Wednesday with our grandchildren, Cumberland to Frostburg and back. Brenda grew up in Mt Savage and this system is part of her upbringing.
Have a great time with the grandkids- sounds like a blast! I didn't realize there are so many railfans on the forum.