Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Lifestyle > Off Topic Lounge
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Off Topic Lounge For friendly, professional, informal exchange of non Hi-Lo topics. No politics or religion topics please.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:33 AM   #1
sam

Default Shower curtain track

This week I will be in Home Depot and will try to remember to look at what is available for a shower ceiling track. Camping Worldp115.has an extend a shower rod. I don,t this will work on our present set up. We our going to pick up 4x8heets of something to put under the wheels of the truck and trailer to move it out to the road without causing big lawn ruts. I,ll spread tarps in hopes of keeping one side of the wood clean. Then maybe a light sanding and the wood can be used for our next fixit project. Picked a garbage pile and got some free wood we can use for our move. Still need more.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:10 PM   #2

Hi Sam,

Good luck with the wood! We also have to pull our Hi-Lo over lawn (about 25') to get it onto our driveway. We had the same original thoughts as you, to somehow preserve the planking for a future alternate use. Well, its never happened... the first batch of wood was a better grade of 5/8" plywood, ripped by HD into 2' X 8' runners (which we laid end-to-end in the wheel tracks). The very first time (with our 19 footer) we used them, listening to the wood fibers split and crack under the weight, I knew they would only ever be used as planking. We started out using two tarps laid end-to-end over the planks, only to discover that turning the truck wheels on the tarp twisted the tarp badly. Even storing the plywood vertically and protected from weather, we only got about four years out of them. Currently on our second set, I bought not expecting the planking to be for any other use, and spent less by getting 1/2" chip board sub-flooring, again letting HD rip it into 2' X 8' planks. We're through one season with this stuff, and so far it seems to be holding up as well as the plywood. Just lighter to carry and a bit easier to place, lift, and store. I just put it right on the grass, its never down long enough to pick up very much moisture. Even without a tarp, I minimize steering wheel turns because the tire tends to grab and turn the plank with it.

If I can ever find (for a cheap price) a few lengths of steel surplus SeaBee runway matting... that would be the perfect material to use as drive-over planking!

Take care,
Jim

2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
JMDoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:48 PM   #3

Question

Sam,

How did that shower cieling track work for you?

I have searched Home Depot, Lowes and Menards with no luck.

I have been looking at that "e-xtend a shower" rod at camping world as well. If I can't find a shower track, then I think I may be looking at designing something with PVC pipe attached to the cieling.
cav117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:23 PM   #4
sam

Default shower rod,shower track

Cav117,I never did find anything to be a better fit in the shower. Where I live there are many speciality bath supply/remodeling places. Do you have a speciality plumbing supply place.? We don't shower in our trailer as we use the bath house at the State parks.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:33 PM   #5
sam

Default Moving the HiLo over grass without causing ruts

JM doering,A couple weeks ago we had a dry spell of four days. The lawn seemed mostly dry. We put down a little wood that cracked when we put the truck in 4x4. We made some small ruts that will be filled in with dirt and some grass seed Most of our trip across the lawn was rut free. So good to have our baby home on our private gravel driveway. My mom was okay with what happened because it was the back part of her lot that is not in perfect condition. We still have some more work to do on our HuiLo. We can do it where it is parked. Our first club campout is May 11th and 12th. I was thinking that Maybe you could use old convayer belts to lay down to get your trailer out. Check with some companies in your area or put a wanted add on Craigs list. Hope this helps.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:16 PM   #6

This web-site has several options for a flexible shower curtain rail... mine has the aluminum one that wraps completely "around" the shower so it keeps water off the walls and such. Not sure where it came from, it looks like it was made for it because it has fastener locations in "all the right places".

I'll be ordering the new wheel thingys and they also make custom length shower curtains so I can replace the one that's in mine.
davidc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidc View Post
This web-site has several options for a flexible shower curtain rail... mine has the aluminum one that wraps completely "around" the shower so it keeps water off the walls and such. Not sure where it came from, it looks like it was made for it because it has fastener locations in "all the right places".

I'll be ordering the new wheel thingys and they also make custom length shower curtains so I can replace the one that's in mine.
I bought my shower curtains at wallmart, used 2 and overlapped them to go all the way around, I added a third behind them to better protect the walls, then I cut about 1 1/2 to 2 inches off the bottom to get the right length.
w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:42 PM   #8
sam

Default Flexible curtain track

Looks like this a solution for those that want to spend the $. We prefer to just go dirty/smelly.LOL We shower in the bathouse at the state parks.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:45 PM   #9
sam

Default Shower modification.

Seems to me I remember someone did a wonderful shower modification and posted it on the Yahoo HiLo Website. Maybe someone can dig it up and give us the exact page.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:53 PM   #10
sam

Default No ruts in the grass

I checked the grass at my moms where our Hi Lo was parked for 6 months.She ig going to have more of her back lot relandscaped and reseeded.She says we don't have to fix anything. Most of the grass popped up. What a mom!!Today hubby changed the outside electrical outlet and hung our inside welcome sign with command hooks. I will go over tomorrow and clean up the mess. Getting ready for our 1st campout with our club.