Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Off Topic Lounge For friendly, professional, informal exchange of non Hi-Lo topics. No politics or religion topics please.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:38 PM   #1

Default soft walls

i purchased a 98 hi lo 24 ft last year, i noticed some bad spots on wall, i have sealed the roof, now i want to replace walls inside, does anyone have any ideas, i thought about just putting new paneling over the existing inside walls, open to ideas. bll

bill k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:46 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

Read this post.
http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f17/so-begins-1146/

(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:18 AM   #3
sam

Talking soft walls

The proper way to fix soft walls is from the inside. Tear out the existing wall panel..Add sheet insulation and some 1/4 inch luan or paneling. See the picture posts from Dirtfan. If you were to put paneling over paneling it would not solve the soft wall problem.In fact it would create a problem. The wall would be too thick and would bind when raised or it could snapThe cables could collapse. I did an internet search,Georgia Pacific paneling.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:25 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
The proper way to fix soft walls is from the inside. Tear out the existing wall panel..Add sheet insulation and some 1/4 inch luan or paneling. See the picture posts from Dirtfan. If you were to put paneling over paneling it would not solve the soft wall problem.In fact it would create a problem. The wall would be too thick and would bind when raised or it could snapThe cables could collapse. I did an internet search,Georgia Pacific paneling.
Sam, had to say this before some one tries to repair a Hi-Lo TowLite model from the 90tys from the inside, They have no metal frame and when the wall is bad so is the wood frame, if taken apart from the inside the cables will pull out and the top will crash down. These models have to be repaired from the out side with the top down.
(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:35 AM   #5
sam

Default soft walls

Thanks for the clarification on the difference in wall repair between the towlite models and the classic. Bill K didn' specificy which model he has. Another area to consider. Take out your windows and reseal. This is a two man job. This will give you a visual clue as to the condition of the wall. This could be the source of the water leak. Reseal with butyl tape and lexell caulk. Any where you have screw holes on the exterior needs to be caulked. Your awning screws need to be backed off and caulked. Many of the HTF members have posted on rebuilding walls. If you need a more detailed explination on anything just ask. I have a classic model and this will be our winter project to tear out and rebuild the rotted side walls.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:32 AM   #6

Default thanks for the information

sam, i don't know the model, it is a 24td, 1998, we are enjoying the camper, would like to do this work to fix, have seen some metal and some wood inside from a small hole i cut in panaling, it seems there is a thriple layer of plywood along bottom, and some metal bars going up, will have to cut out more bad paneling to see more, any information will be greatly appreciated, thanks bill
Old 07-26-2011, 11:48 AM   #7

My Towlite is a 1998 21TL and it has a metal frame.

1998 21TL
2005 Silverado
Thankful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:08 AM   #8
sam

Default soft walls

What is the weight of your trailer? Any inside or outside pictures should help us to identify if is a towlite or a classic. Look in the photo section as several of our members have had to rebuild walls. It is thousands of dollars if you send it to a repair place. Classic trailers are heavier and come with upgraded cabinetery and more features are standard.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:23 PM   #9

Default thanks again sam

sam, the weight is 3183 unloaded, i will try to send some pictures, have to figure out how to do it, thanks for all your help, i looke at the pictures yesterday from the person doing his, they were very helpful.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:48 PM   #10
sam

Default soft walls

our moderator Neal and Bev did a post on 5-16-2010. How to post a picture. Take some time and read past posts about wall rebuilding. Search the internet also. Find all the pictures that have been posted on wall rebuilding. I spent quite a bit of time over the winter researching the wall repair that I need to do. Choices are many for what you will put back on the wall. 1/4 laun then do you paint it,stain it vinyl wallpaper it or buy Georgia Pacific 1'4 board that is already covered in vinyl wallpaper. Some have used paneling. One rebuilder used a plastic sheet between the fiberglass and the paneling. He is determined not to have leaks again. I'm sure we use expanding foam to seal any holes we find and or lexell caulk or possibly Externa bond tape as needed. Check out this information:Mark's Rv Garage restoration of an old Yellowstone trailer. www.rv consumer .com Another one to check out is www.The Everything about Rvers Blog He doesa video on How do I Replace an RV window. We haven't fixed our trailer yet. I will get at this in the winter. I was in my HiLo today packing clothes for our up coming trip. Finaly our turn to go camping. I hope it is cold enough in the evening for a campfire. I do enjoy campfires as we aren"t allowed tohave them in the city.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:52 PM   #11
sam

Default soft walls

If you care to post what state and city that you are maybe someone close by can help you in person.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:56 PM   #12

Default soft walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
If you care to post what state and city that you are maybe someone close by can help you in person.
thanks again sam, we have two more 4 day trips to make then i will start my project, all the information you and others gave me heiped greatly, by the way we are in new york state in the adirondacks, and yes it is cool enough here for a campfire, in the 60s at night, bill
Old 07-29-2011, 01:00 AM   #13
sam

Default soft walls

Bill K,Just wanted you to know that we have a HiLotrailer camping club in NY state. Our group is called HiLove NY. We get together in April for some fine dinning and have are organized campout Sept.9th and 10th at Southwoods Rv Resort. Some folks camp earlier and some stay later. Checkout the web site for this campground. This year it is our tenth anniversary for our club. I live in Niagara Falls,NY. Many of our members live all over NY state.Some live in Syracuse. My,mother is from Glen Falls,NY. I,ve been to the Adarondacks many times. Beautiful country. My grand parents have a cottage in Lake George. Any way I hope you can join us HiLo owners at Southwoods Resort. Either fix your trailer real fast or wait until after the Sept.campout!!!!Let me know if you can attend and I will give you more details.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:49 PM   #14

Default hi sam

thanks for the info on the club, we will not be able to attend the campout this year, we are going to pine ridge in westville, ny august 28 for 4 days. this wil be our last trip this year, i will start my project after that, may be next year, also we are about 15 minutes from lake george, keep in contact if you are over this way, bill