Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Lifestyle > Off Topic Lounge
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Off Topic Lounge For friendly, professional, informal exchange of non Hi-Lo topics. No politics or religion topics please.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:18 AM   #1
sam

Default Temps of 79 degrees.

Thursday was 79 degrees and I was sweating raking up 10 trashbags full of leaves. I thought to my self,sell the sticks and bricks and head for warmer climates. Eight of the bags were from my neighbors trees on both sides of me.Got some wind today and it didn't look like we had it all groomed the day before. Anybody else think you would want to sell your house and go fulltime?

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:21 AM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to jcurtis95

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
Thursday was 79 degrees and I was sweating raking up 10 trashbags full of leaves. I thought to my self,sell the sticks and bricks and head for warmer climates. Eight of the bags were from my neighbors trees on both sides of me.Got some wind today and it didn't look like we had it all groomed the day before. Anybody else think you would want to sell your house and go fulltime?
Sam,

I've got the same problem or will have in a month or so. We do not have any white oak trees in our yard but we do have 30 live oaks that will not be shedding yet. Nevertheless, I get the regular oak leaves on our place every year from the neighbors on both sides of me and we have to rake leaves 3 times per year! Oh well, grin and bear it.

Jerry Curtis
2406 T

jcurtis95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:37 AM   #3

The secret is to mow your grass shorter than the neighbors. That way their leaves blow across your yard and into the other neighbor's yard. Works for me.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:39 PM   #4
sam

Default Picking up leaves from neighbors trees.

This year with the extremely dry summer he leaves have been falling for months. What contributes to our problem is that our yard is all chain link fenced in,doesn't quite go all the way to the ground. Being in the city our lots are close together and i even get the neighbor's leaves in back of me. The landlord next to me raked some of the leaves to the curb so they could blow around.The city says they will pick them up,but they don't. Most people are too lazy to bag them. You have be careful about parking with a hot exhaust pipe and dry leaves catching fire. The chain link fence isn't much of a deterent. Yesterday some kids threw a nerf ball over the front of our house into the back yard. The kid jumped the fence to get it. DH asked him nicely if that happened to just ring the door bell and we would get it for them. He told DH to "chill OUT." This was the end of the conversation because they will throw a brick at your window if you tick them off. In our day we would of had ourbackside warmed but good for talking to an adult like that. I am so ready to leave the house and go forever in my HiLo. Anybody care to join me?!!
Old 10-28-2012, 10:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcamper47 View Post
The secret is to mow your grass shorter than the neighbors. That way their leaves blow across your yard and into the other neighbor's yard. Works for me.

Bob
Yes, that would work but when the neighbors trees protrude over your property and the properties are separated by a 7' wooden fence, the wind will not blow the leaves back. I always have a good time complaining to them about their leaves in my yard [good friends]. Our city has a leaf pickup service so it is easier to just haul them out to the street for the city to pick up rather than throw them back over the fence. LOL.

Jerry Curtis
2406 T
Old 10-29-2012, 01:19 AM   #6
sam

Default Leaves in our yard.

The neighbor in back of me is "so in love with her tree that shades part of our garden. DH says it needs to be professionally trimmed. We have permission fron her husband to trim some branches. Dh had the opportunity to cut the tree down years ago when the house sat empty before it was sold. They never rake their yard at all or weed wack. Just don't believe in yard work. Only what you can do with a ride around mower. Now they have a six foot fence around their property and it skirts around their trees. We can see their backyard from our second story br window. Nice people just don't give a hoot how their property looks.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
I am so ready to leave the house and go forever in my HiLo. Anybody care to join me?!!
SAM,

My 78 year-old brother and his wife have done just that! They just sold their home in New Mexico [but the deal fell through], moved everything into storage, then with their recently acquired 5th wheel pulled by a recently acquired Chevy Diesel, moved into a local RV Park. We are expecting them to join us next week when we go to the Texas Coast for a month's stay in Rockport [near Corpus Christi]. We will stay at the Drifters Resort where we spent Thanksgiving last year. The resort has an excellent management team that always has something going for their guests. I would highly recommend this resort to anyone on the forum if they are just passing through or planning an extended stay. They provide a huge T-day dinner with each of their 91 RV guest slots as well as rental cabins bringing a covered dish to go with their turkeys.

I just hope our plans will not be interrupted; We are supposed to leave next Monday but I spent 5-hours in the ER yesterday morning. I had begun feeling a hot pain in my stomach this past Wednesday and it kept building up with constant ebb and wane frequency until I could stand the pain no longer; so we went to the ER at 1AM. I already knew what it was for I had a pancreatitus attack 10-years ago that required a 6-day hospital stay to correct. The ER doc was not convinced of my diagnosis so they ran a slew of tests; blood, urine, x-ray, all coming back negative. Finally he ordered a CT scan and verified that it had reared its ugly head again. So, light duty and non-fat bland diet of soups and liquids for a couple of days until I see our family doc [hopefully today]. I just awoke from my first good nights sleep in five days [thanks to the pain pills] and right now the pain has gone away.

We are sure looking forward to the month-long getaway and hope this will not put the hiatus to our plans.

Jerry Curtis
2406 T