Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Lifestyle > Off Topic Lounge
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Off Topic Lounge For friendly, professional, informal exchange of non Hi-Lo topics. No politics or religion topics please.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:49 PM   #1
sam

Default Toilet riser

Has anyone installed a toilet riser on the toilet in their HILo? Ours is a sealand, will have to check my paperwork for the model. Any trouble with leaks? was it easy to install? Did you have to extend the plumbing?. Did a little research on the internet. It would cost $35.74 at camping world. I wonder if you could put an external one on. I have to go to H.D. on Monday and will check it out. We have the ADA toilets in our home and they are worth every penny.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:33 PM   #2

Sam,

Here is the riser I installed several years ago. I think it cost me around $25. Everything needed for installation came with the kit. My toilet is a Thetford Aqua-Magic IV.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MISC 554.jpg (82.3 KB, 53 views)

retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:37 PM   #3

Sam,

Forgot the rest of the message. I extended the water line with a stainless, flexible water line. I have had no leaks at all. It functions great. The best thing about adding the riser is that when you sit down to "take care of business", your knees are not hitting your chin.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:01 PM   #4

Sam,
Ditto Bob's experience with the Thetford extender. Even the price was the same. Only difference in installation is that I oriented the toilet at an angle to give even more legroom (our's was originally set parallel to the trailer centerline and my knees always nudged a cabinet).
Not sure about an extender for your brand of toilet, but the concept is pretty simple and I can't believe it would a complicated install. Also not sure what you mean by "external."
Jim
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
JMDoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:45 AM   #5
sam

Default Toilet riser

Thanks for the replies. Inflation the price has gone up like every thing else.
Tetford makes one that is a universal fit. DH says no problem with install. Will probably do this in june. In May I will be having left shoulder surgery and the copay is $200.00. An external toilet seat riser is a one piece molded unit that is placed over the whole toilet. It has grab handles and an elevated seat. You could purchase this at H.D. or any drug store/medical supply place. I know this would cost more than the straight forward riser. This would be better if the toilet manufactures would put an ada toilet in the rv when it comes from the factory.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:09 PM   #6
sam

Default Installing toilet riser

Ordered a toiler riser from PPL motor homes in Texas. Came in a few days. Pulled out my paperwork on my Sealand toilet,model 910. Called sealand for technical info. They don't make a toilet riser. The tech was suprised my toilet was still functioning. Works perfect especially in the middle of the night or in an extreme rain event!! We use the campground bath house during the day,saves on our tank capacity. Anyway hubby had his usual fun with install. Got a couple of compression fittings at HD. Would of prefered plastic compression fittings from our RV dealer. Says it is just like our ADA toilets at home. Tomorrow I will post pictures. I didn't go with him. Tomorrow he will fill our 6 gal. water jug and test for leaks. Longer toilet bolts and two new toilet seals were included. He was glad he spent $13.00 to get a seal from our RV dealer. Needed a different one for the toilet to the floor. Went with all new seals. The project cost $70.00,worth it because lately my back is so bad!! The riser came with good directions on the box and will fit several models of Tetford toilets(not all.)
Old 05-30-2012, 08:59 PM   #7
sam

Default Toilet riser install on Sealand 910/1990 Classic

SDC10604.jpg The cookie monster took a bite out of our new toilet riser lol. DH used a sabre saw to make the necessary cuts to fit around wire and pipe at back of toilet.

SDC10609.jpg Ten dollars worth of fittings at Home Depot.

SDC10610.jpg New toilet riser in place. Thought my toilet was white. Bone colored would have cost more.

SDC10611.jpg $36.oo for riser,shipping,ten for parts. Worth every penny in comfort.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:48 PM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to jcurtis95

Sam,

After reading your account of the Toilet riser, I had to laugh. Reason? When we were in Oklahoma last month and I visited my oldest brother, [87], he was complaining about his toilet and the problems he had with it for the past two years. I told him I could fix it so off we went to Lowe's in Muskogee. Only problem being, his toilet [ a top-of-the-line model and only 12 years old] had to have a repair kit costing $129 in order to fix it and they would have to order the parts.

Being the obstinate old f__t he is, he broke out in a tirade that would have embarrassed a stand-up comic. To make a long story short, we ended up buying a new double flush toilet for just $100 more than what the repair parts would have cost! He was so happy with it and really liked the double-flush feature.

I got an email from him last week in which he thanked me again and exclaimed "every time I sit down to take a dump, I think of you". LMAO!

Jerry Curtis
2406 T
jcurtis95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:00 AM   #9
sam

Default Toilet riser

Your story made me laugh. Old people can sometimes be a real scream!!
Old 06-03-2012, 12:53 PM   #10

can't you just use the old fashioned one that sits on the top?

Jthiel is offline   Reply With Quote