Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Off Topic Lounge For friendly, professional, informal exchange of non Hi-Lo topics. No politics or religion topics please.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:47 PM   #1

Default Tow vehicle tires

I'm posting this here because I didn't know where else to post it. Since it is a question about the "tires" on the two vehicle posting in Tires or Two Vehicles didn't seem right. Sorry if I messed up putting here.............but my problem is still the same.

I have a 2005 GMC HD Sierra diesel truck that I use for towing the 28 foot Hi Lo. Over the years of owning the truck I've experienced traction problems. The tires that came on the truck were street tires and had horrible traction. Then I replaced them with a set of Michelin tires that were suppose to be mud and snow tires. They were a little better but still not what I'd like.

Well, now the Michelins are wearing down and soon into 2013 I need to be shopping for new tires. Does anyone have any advice to me. I want a tire with will give me decent traction, not too much road noise and good wear. I do appreciate any help. And thanks in advance.
God Bless
Papa

Papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:14 PM   #2

Ive had GoodYear Wrangler rt/s on the F150 for years and replaced two this year with At/s. For gravel and, around here, snow, they have been fine. High weight rating and noisier than the original street tires but not bad and the ride is good. I've liked the wear on them over the years.

rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:19 PM   #3
sam

Default Tire replacement

We just had to replace a dammaged tire on our f250. We always get our tires at Dunn tire. We have to replace the truck tires about every two years. They are really good with advice and usually sell us a not wellknown brand that holds up well. One price that includes free flat repair. tire rotation and a pro rated warranty. Go into some of your local tire stores and get brochures, advice. You might try Sams club if you have one.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:10 AM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to jcurtis95

Papa,

I too have Michelin tires on my F250 that will soon need to be replaced. I am approaching 200K miles on this truck and the best tires I have ever had have been the Firestone tires that were originally on it and which I subsequently replaced with Firestone tires until I got this last set. I have gotten 65K miles on a set and still had good tread but replaced due to age. Not bad for an F250 with 4-wheel drive. I bought Michelin only because there was no Firestone dealer nearby when I needed to replace them. I used Firestone when we lived in the Colorado Rockies and they were good on mud and snow and regular highway driving.

Firestone got a bad rap years ago but I have had nothing but good service from them and I have already made arrangements to have Discount Tires order me a set for next year.

Jerry Curtis
2406 T Ford F250 ext. cab 4x4 7.3L Diesel
jcurtis95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:26 PM   #5

I completed a NV to Fl trip this year towing my 1985 funchaser. TV is a Toyota t-100 4wd with 200k+, 3.4 6 cyl. No tow package from factory. Added whd/stabilizer, frame hitch.
I use a TOYO 70K mile tire that have worked flawlessly. light truck size but highway tread. Excellent traction all around, snow and rain. Not noisy at all.
Good price and can say they have worked great!

steve in reno
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:12 PM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

I use BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A's and haven't had any issues with them. No road noise either.

RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote