Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Lifestyle > Off Topic Lounge
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Off Topic Lounge For friendly, professional, informal exchange of non Hi-Lo topics. No politics or religion topics please.

Old 09-15-2012, 11:40 AM   #21

Default Happy Campers

July 27, 2012, my wife and I completed a six weeks, 9719 mile camping trip through Oregon, Washington, Alaska, British Columbia,Lower Yukon Territory and Alberta, Canada, dropping back down into the states through Montana and returning to Southern California. Our 2005 V8 Tundra with extra cab pulled our 21 ft Towlite effortlessly up and down all of the miles and miles of mountains. We did stay at a number of RV parks and our small trailer was dwarfed by some of the huge rigs, which I would NEVER want to own or drive. Like many, we did the tent thing for many years, until our first trip to Yellowstone when we used our first trailer, a 14 ft Estrelle. And yes, we also got stares from other campers as we raised and lowered our Towlite.

Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:29 PM   #22
sam

Default Long trip

Glad to hear you had a good long trip Seems like your towlite did the trip without problems for you. .

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:10 PM   #23

Default Alaska

Isn't that the greatest trip, Garry. We did the same only sans trailer. In fact, it was because of our Alaska trip via the ferry from Bellingham, and staying in motels, that we decided to get back to RVing with the Hi Lo. Now we're anticipating returning to Alaska WITH the Hi Lo. We put about 11,000 miles on our vehicle that trip, and every mile was worth it.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:23 PM   #24

Not unlike everyone of the other posters I also had several pop-up trlrs.
When I got out of the Army in 1975 I purchased a VW camping van. Put 12 years and 250k miles on it, 5 motors, 4 trans. With 25 mpg and sleep 3 worked great.
I purchased my hilo last November and in March left Reno for 3 months on a hang gliding adventure to Florida. 7k miles later I returned home, not spent or tired of travels. 2 old guys and 2 dogs just out having fun.
Now hilo isn't what I would consider camping anymore than a motorhome is camping. But in a raging Florida rain/wind storm, I can remember stating "now this is comfort". I have always been a minimalist type when camping, but at 60+ I do appreciate the comforts of home. I initially was looking for another pop-up when I purchased my hilo.
Laptop for a movie and info, and what else could you possibly need?
My 1985 needed much attention and repairs, which have now been completed since my return.
My wife just retired, 2 weeks ago, and next year she gets to come out and play also! This year we intend to do the northwest including Yellowstone.
I have a 1997 Toy t-100 6 cylinder TV with over 200k on the clock and it works marvelously.
Have fun and will see you on the road!
steve
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:21 PM   #25
sam

Default Travel adventures

Thanks for sharing your story and travel adventures. Hard to beat the "vintage Hilos". Most anything can be fixed/refurbished.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote