Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Lifestyle > Off Topic Lounge
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Off Topic Lounge For friendly, professional, informal exchange of non Hi-Lo topics. No politics or religion topics please.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:34 PM   #1
sam

Default What is the best thing you bought for your HiLo

The best purchase has been a Sunbrella cover.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 01:35 PM   #2

an air conditioner

guitarman023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 02:16 PM   #3

The best thing made for me (not purchased) by dear husband is a removable and laminated counter top which fits perfectly over the top of the Hi-Lo gas stove. We use the gas stove very little; primarily, we cook on the Weber Baby-Q, use an electric skillet, and use the built-in microwave. I now have room for a coffee pot, toaster, seasoning shakers, and have room for making elaborate sandwiches and food preparation, etc. Also, now I have room for a drain board for dishes. A board which fits on top of one side of the double sinks came with the Hi-Lo when purchased in 2009; however, the board did not increase the counter space much. When we get ready to break camp, we just remove my new counter top and turn it over and place it on the bed with the pillows in preparation for towing the Hi-Lo.

Dee
2009 Hi-Lo Classic 2509
Dee Tillotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 02:18 PM   #4
Site Team

Two (three things): Having the axle moved forward and spaced to raise the trailer and new, larger, higher load capacity wheels and tires.

- Jack
Old 09-11-2014, 10:05 PM   #5

I've previously raved about my two favorite camping accessories. One is the Baby Weber Q grill and the other is my fire pit. Both are portable and are fueled by propane. Both make my camping more pleasurable.

Oh I forgot, medicinal alcohol.
Wrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 10:54 PM   #6

I will do a write up of my latest remodel. New bed/table, pads to all, stove top and formica, stereo amp/speakers.

But that wasn't he question.

I just installed a Dometic ICE MAKER where my oven used to exist.
We had it on our trip this spring and it made life much more tolerable on the road. Must have 120v power.
Ice for the chest during the day and cold drinks in the evening. It travels in the truck, not the trlr.

Makes camping more civilized. I only bought one bag of ice on our 8K mile trip this spring.

steve
kd7ctk
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:18 AM   #7

Let's see
1st thing was a cordless drill and 2nd is a new AC unit.
Pinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 04:13 PM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Electric tongue jack!
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 08:21 PM   #9
sam

Default Best purchase

I agree with the electric Tongue jack. The one that came with the trailer had a squeal and probably could have been fixed. We were inexperienced and now understand about reading the maintenance instructions and greasing as necessary. A real back saver. Some other great buys include custom foam mattresses for the couch beds and a thick mattress topper for the permanent bed.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:23 PM   #10
sam

Default Best purchase

The dinette bed is a permanent bed.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:23 PM   #11

I'd never even heard of an electronic digital angle gauge, when I saw them on a sale bench at Woodcrafters. After reading the packaging and finding out what it could do (it's designed for setting table saw blade angles), I realized this little thing would/could be terrific for leveling the HiLo front to back. After initially calibration in my driveway, all I do now, when wanting to level, it set the gauge on the A-frame in front of my jack (it has a magnetic base), and raise or lower the tongue, following the direction of the LCD display arrows until the display zeroes. Very precise and VERY quick. There are a number of these things on the market. Ours is a "Wixey WR300." I've since seen them at Ace Hardware, HD, Lowes, and of course, Woodcrafters. I've never seen anything like it offered at an RV store. If interested, on Amazon, search for "Wixey digital angle gauge," and you can see what they look like.

Oh, the other item I now cherish is our Tireminder trailer tire temp./pressure monitor. The peace of mind is well worth the cost!

Jim
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
JMDoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 10:57 PM   #12
Site Team

x2 on the TireMinder! I'm grateful for it on every trip! Worth every cent.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:45 PM   #13

My 2012 Ford F150 Crewcab w/Ecoboost (Big Red). It pulls the 2310H like it is a little popup camper.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:58 PM   #14

A new hitch! A new tow vehicle is on my wish list
Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:39 AM   #15

Default Best thing. I bought from

Folding cushioned dining chairs --- .Costco---for my 28c. They fit under the bed so no more strapping them on top.😊😉
Lesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 02:06 PM   #16

Out of necessity, a replacement spare tire while going through Arizona. Also bought folding cushioned chairs (Costco), two vent lids, and a spare tire carrier for the hitch receiver on the back of our 2705T, with the latter being the second most important. After returning from our four week camping trip and with the new spare tire still in the back of the truck, I realized I could never get the spare tire bolted into place under the trailer where the spare previously was.
1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:54 PM   #17
sam

Default My lucky day

It was a balmy 66degree day. After my Dr. apt.we took the 1and a half hour drive round trip to our HiLo dealer. Steve in service came through for us with a used saddle for our Reese sway control that got bent. DH won't be able to install until the spring as old faithful is tucked under the sunbrella cover for the winter. Br. much of the country will be in the deep freeze tomorrow. Had a chance to take our truck through an automatic Truck wash near our HiLo dealer. Topped off the day with dinner at a Chinese buffet place. So glad we didn't have to spend hundreds on an entire new hitch set up.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:56 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
It was a balmy 66degree day. After my Dr. apt.we took the 1and a half hour drive round trip to our HiLo dealer. Steve in service came through for us with a used saddle for our Reese sway control that got bent. DH won't be able to install until the spring as old faithful is tucked under the sunbrella cover for the winter. Br. much of the country will be in the deep freeze tomorrow. Had a chance to take our truck through an automatic Truck wash near our HiLo dealer. Topped off the day with dinner at a Chinese buffet place. So glad we didn't have to spend hundreds on an entire new hitch set up.
Glad to hear you were out and about.
1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:50 PM   #19
sam

Default out and about

Saw my surgeon today. She was able to remove my JP drains. No more having to deal with lengthy ball and chain devices. Looking forward to wrapping the wound area in saran wrap and getting a real shower. Re check in one week. Had to stop at Kmart and get DH another winter jacket for outdoor snowblowing. Winter has come too early!!
Old 11-13-2014, 05:01 AM   #20

Sounds like good progress, Sam. Brenda and I bought a set of three cutting boards for the RV at HD for $8.00. They are made of bamboo and available in the appliance department. (Do I sound like an HD commercial?) I was actually hoping my ship would come in and then I'd part with the money for a set of Tireminders.

2014 Ford F-350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote