Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Off Topic Lounge For friendly, professional, informal exchange of non Hi-Lo topics. No politics or religion topics please.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:18 AM   #1
sam

Default What kind of RV would you own?

If you didn't have a HiLo what other kind of RV would you own? My DH thinks he would like to own a Airstream. This probably because he worked in the sheet metal trade all his life. He worked in a plant that made aircrafts for a few years. I would love some kind of a motorhome that I could drive.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:31 AM   #2

We have had our eyes on a Keystone RV Passport Ultra Lite Elite 238ML. It has a 23' box, a queen size bed, and two bunks. We seem to have visitors when we camp and fall short on bed space. That would give us one more bed space and more room elbow room. http://www.keystonerv.com/passport/#/floorplans But we sure would hate to give up the HiLo because of the towing ease. We did have, before the 2310H, a 1705T and a large Coleman popup that slept eight, and we took which ever one accommodated everyone.

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:42 AM   #3

After my 10th Million Dollars (still working on the first) I'd probably look at one of those $1/2 million bus's and a $1/2 million gas card.

Then I'd chase the sun trying to stay warm (brrrr, it's currently 36 degrees).
Wrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
If you didn't have a HiLo what other kind of RV would you own? My DH thinks he would like to own a Airstream. This probably because he worked in the sheet metal trade all his life. He worked in a plant that made aircrafts for a few years. I would love some kind of a motorhome that I could drive.
The neighborhood that wife and I live in has CC&Rs that prohibit RVs from being seen behind a 6'-7' fence/wall. We did not want to pay storage fees like did with our previous TT; so we bought a Hi-Lo and keep it in our backyard. We looked at TraiManors but did not like them as much.

In the past we've owned a motorhome, as well as a different TT. We liked the MH, but did not like the fact that we had to break down the camp and leave every time that we wanted to go exploring. We got our first TT (18' Shasta) so we could leave it parked and use the TV to explore.

Our priorities right now are, keep the Hi-Lo and save $$ to buy a boat in the 32'-37' range (we recently sold our 28' boat). If we hit the lotto jackpot we would probably also buy a MH, as well as a car to tow behind it.

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:21 PM   #5

I would like a Jayco

Proud owner of a 2013 Jayco Jay Flight 28 BHBE
dirtfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:18 PM   #6
sam

Default If I didn't own a HiLo what would I buy

Larger rigs are nice. More to clean and maintain. Also would take more gas and $ to up keep. Interesting answers. Keep in mind when checking out another RV that has a slide that you need to have the slide in and be able to have access to the kitchen and br. when traveling. Some bunk beds have wt. limits and would only be good for kids. Guess no matter what you buy nothing is 100%perfect. Just about all of the USA is in freeze mode. We are at 29degrees. I hate winter cold!!
Old 12-11-2013, 08:29 PM   #7

Well, we are searching for a Hi Lo right now, have a pop-up and have had a total of 8 different RVs (4 pop-ups, 1 TT, 1 5th wheel, 1 Class C, 1 micro-mini motorhome) and we feel the quality of the Hi Lo will surpass them all. It appears to us that the quality was pretty consistent and you won't see that in most of the RVs on the market. All units have their drawbacks. Now, if I were wealthy, I would buy a new Prevost and hire a driver so that myself, my husband and our son could just sit in the back and enjoy the views. I'm not holding my breath for that though.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:35 PM   #8

Sam, It's 20 degrees here now. Quit sending that stuff down from the lake this way. We have had almost 36" so far this fall, I can't wait to see what winter will bring.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 12-11-2013, 09:24 PM   #9

Ten years ago today I departed lower Bama, headed to Maine, for my grandmothers funeral. As I recall it took me two days driving alone. The following morning it started snowing.

One day later this was the photo I took of my travel buggy, as I recall it was 27 inches by day 2.

I haven't been back, and don't miss it.

WHOOPS: I forgot, War Eagle (my oldest daughter & her hubbys school).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Storm2.jpg (86.3 KB, 22 views)
Old 12-11-2013, 09:36 PM   #10

Default I know, this is hijacking the thread, but ... oh well

Above snow pic got me to looking.... that's where I found an old pic of my last local snow storm. I notice its dated Jan 02.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snowy.jpg (99.6 KB, 32 views)
Old 12-12-2013, 09:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrascal View Post
Above snow pic got me to looking.... that's where I found an old pic of my last local snow storm. I notice its dated Jan 02.
I'll trade you for that anytime.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 12-12-2013, 07:15 PM   #12

Send a message via Yahoo to jcurtis95

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
Sam, Interesting question... you and I have PM'ed each other over the years and you know that our HiLo was basically totaled this past spring in one hail-storm-from-hell and we fixed it up and sold it and our TV, my beloved 2000 F250 4-wd, 7.3L Diesel with a beautiful camper shell and 203K miles on it. You and my wife have several things in common, most importantly, health issues. The magnificent Ford truck would have qualified for Teddy's Rough-Riders and it was a constant problem for my dear wife so we sold it as well as the HiLo. We settled on a used 28' MH on a Chevy 4500 chassis and bought an older '99 Saturn Station Wagon that was all fixed up for towing. The change was for the better for my wife. It is a very comfortable riding MH and allows my wife to get up and go back to the bath room, fix lunch or coffee on the go, or go lie down for a nap without having to pull over. Our mileage was cut in half but the benefit to my wife was worth it. I regret having to sell our 3rd HiLo, but at our age, it is now much simpler to pull into an RV park or on the side of the road and rest or spend the night without the rigors of setting up a HiLo. Motor homes are not for everyone but I am glad we transitioned to the Class 'C' for the betterment of my wife's health.

If we were younger, we would still prefer a HiLo.

Jerry & Carol Curtis
Fredericksburg, TX
jcurtis95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:35 AM   #13

Default If I didn't own a HiLo what would I buy

...a newer Hi-Lo. I just bought a 1981 Funchaser here in sunny AZ.
Prevous owner painted the ol girl with a paint roller and brush. Removing that will be a chore but it MUST come off.
I am known to squeeze coal into diamomds so the Hi-Lo appeals to me.
I looked into every RV type but a 5th wheel would co$t me a newer bigger stronger truck.
A motorhome is an endless money pit even if I can fix just about everything that can go wrong.
A tow trailer would also co$t me a new truck though I could get away with a gas model.
I found this one for $1500 and just about everything worked. Changed to LED bulbs inside and that has been my biggest expense yet but the left rear corner is about 1" low when raised. Bummer I think.
Eventually I hope to get one of the larger models; perhaps a 2005 or newer.
You may not want to read this but...I anxiously wait for a cold snap so the wife and I can camp high, dry AND stay warm. TENTS SUCK!
slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:26 AM   #14

Love my Hi-Lo , but would give it up for a newer Airstream. Just love the classic look of those trailers and the interiors are as nice as anything out there. Hi-Lo still a great all around trailer
455lark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:15 AM   #15

Saw a Prevost or a Bluebird MH (can't remember which) at Sturgis one year with a garage like a toy hauler. He had two Harley Davidson motorcycles and a Kubota RTV in there. The MH had full leather interior, brass trim & fixtures, and a 36" flat screen television that pulled out to the outside so you could sit and watch it from under the canopy. I won't mention his name but the owner was a tycoon in his career field and when they left Sturgis they were headed down to the balloonfest at Albuquerque for a week or two before heading back home in New England.
Joe Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 11:10 PM   #16
sam

Default What would buy if not a HiLo

Good replies!! Rich R. we haven't had as much snow as you yet. Maybe you are ready to go somewhere warm for the winter. Slider is your RV one inch lower on the inside or the outside? A picture would be helpful. 455lark..read a story about a fellow who traded in the class A for a prevost and had so much trouble with it that he took it back and got his old RV back. Serious comment: if you think you want an Airstream spend some cold long boring winter time on the Airforum.com website. It pays to be an informed consumer.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:48 AM   #17

Once you've experienced the advantages of a HiLo it is really hard to switch to something else. We have looked at other brands and see many features that we like but we still don't want to switch.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 06-16-2014, 05:08 PM   #18

Guess it is time to come out of the closet and fess up. We traded our HiLo in on a new 2014 travel trailer in Dec. It was a tough, personal decision. We loved our HiLo but had to "put her up for adoption". We towed it to the dealer on a Tuesday and on Saturday it was sold and on it's way south. We wanted to get another HiLo and knew it would have to be a "newer used one". What kind of problems would we encounter if the owners hadn't maintained it properly? We decided to bite the bullet and buy a "s.o.b." I will still be on the forum and contribute when I can. My favorite trailer will always be a HiLo. I have made and met a lot of good friends on this forum. It is the greatest!!! See tess, I told you I would fess up!

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:08 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcamper47 View Post
Guess it is time to come out of the closet and fess up. We traded our HiLo in on a new 2014 travel trailer in Dec. It was a tough, personal decision. We loved our HiLo but had to "put her up for adoption". We towed it to the dealer on a Tuesday and on Saturday it was sold and on it's way south. We wanted to get another HiLo and knew it would have to be a "newer used one". What kind of problems would we encounter if the owners hadn't maintained it properly? We decided to bite the bullet and buy a "s.o.b." I will still be on the forum and contribute when I can. My favorite trailer will always be a HiLo. I have made and met a lot of good friends on this forum. It is the greatest!!! See tess, I told you I would fess up!

Bob
That took a lot of courage, Bob! Thanks for allowing us to benefit from your many years of HiLo experience

For those of you that like motorhomes and boats, check this video out:

Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:47 PM   #20

Default Awesome pop up

Bought online from Bass Pro in Springfield, Missouri in the year 2000 a Tracker:
12 foot box
a/c heat
inside shower/cassette toilet
slide out dining area
king/queen end beds
front storage area
inside/outside stove
dual axles
power brakes
3 way refrigerator
pulled like a dream
I sold this unit and bought a fifth wheel which was a mistake. If I had it to do again, I would have added the automatic lift system to the pop up and kept trucking. Bass Pro tried to sell these in select stores and customers/kids tore them up. They moved them all to Springfield and set up online sales and we bought it that way.

2006 King Ranch Ford F150
5.4 V-8
byrdmeister is offline   Reply With Quote