Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Lifestyle > Off Topic Lounge
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Off Topic Lounge For friendly, professional, informal exchange of non Hi-Lo topics. No politics or religion topics please.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:06 PM   #1
sam

Default Wild weather,expensive blooper

Our latest campout included some brief driving rain and high winds. Put our awning away. Our rubber roof patch held up beautifully. To back up with our story. Too much to do on our day of departure. Change oil in the truck, wash truck by hand as it is an inch too tall for the car wash,vaccum outinside and wash trailer. Had hoped to leave at 1pm,but was all packed at 3pm. Only had the tires to check before leaving. "Honey something is wrong with one of the tires" Thought is was the inner valve stem" Made a trip to auto zone to get parts. Still would only hold 18 lbs. of pressure,valve stem problem. Time to put on the spare. The spare came with the trailer 11 yrs ago and it is a little bit too tall. SL rubs the wheel well. Hubby finally remember he had to take off the skirting. His truck jack kept slipping and wouldn,t raise the tire enough. Neighbor with right size jack wasn,t home. Back to Autozone to buy 21/2 ton jack $85.00 dollars later. Very happy with new purchase as it worked perfect. I wanted to drive to Dunn Tire and get the valve repaired and put back on the trailer. DH said no. Our drive to the campsite was two hrs. And our HiLo club had reservations for 6pm dinner. Had to call the campsite and let them know our late arrival(no problem.) Didn't have anyones cell phone#. Explained my problem and happened to have a member of our group in the camp store/office at the time of my call. Let them know we would go directly to dinner with the trailer if the parking lot was big enough. Dh dropped us off to dinner and my daughter went inside to see if we could catch a ride back with someone. He went on to the campsite as he wanted to set up before dark. Had a lovely dinner at this new to us restaurant. Got back to camp and dh informed me his shade pull had been wrapped/tangled around the large turn knob so he just cut it loose instead of lowering the rv to untangle it. Maybe the piece will fall out the layer when we lower it to go home(never found it). The last campout he couldn't get the chock between the weels on the drivers side and he thought this was odd. Now he confesses that he forgot to take the wheel chock out and started to drive out of our storage spot and realized his goof. This campout on closer examination realizes he broke something in the leaf spring suspension and it is floppy and that is why the chock won,t fit in. Seems to track good had a few of our handy club members look at it and agreed we would be able to drive it to our HiLo dealer for repair. Found a close by AAA garage that put in a new valve stem for $5.00,very reasonable. DH changed the tire back to the original before we departed. I wasn,t with him when he made the leave in chock error. The moral of the story is no matter how many years you have been towing you can still be human and make errors. This is going to be an epensive repair/lesson learned. The weather rained on and off quite a bit. We had a blast with our HiLo club. Correction 2 and 1/2 ton jack. Sorry,I,m not able to describe what actually broke. Dh feels bad as this is going to be painful in the pocket book. That is why they call them accidents. Good food,good HiLo friends and a great campout.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:32 PM   #2
gus

Sam, glad to hear everything went ok on your trip, of course it could have been worse.
its true sometimes we make error and sometimes things just happens (breaks)
on our last trip, just when I hooked up the trailer, and I am doing the final check list, realized the brake lights were not working, first I thought it was the wiring in the trailer, we planned to leave at 9 am, well by 10:30 am after checking all the fuses in the truck, I decided to leave and figure it out when we get there, later I discovered a wire was shorted in the electrical harness by the brake pedal (already tried new brake switch), but murphy's law, these things sometime happens at the wrong time.
from what you are describing, it sounds like the middle hanger on the trailer either bent or broken, any shop that can do welding, can repair it in a short time.

gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:21 PM   #3
sam

Default Broken suspension

Gus thanks for the encouragement. I asked my husband if he thought it could be welded and he said no. He worked as a sheet metal fabricator/no welding. Our RV dealer didn,t call today. We don,t have an apt.so they will fix it when they can. We have no plans to go camping again this year. The weather will be summer like again and we want to finish up on some outside chores. I hope you are right and the repair isn't too painful in the wallet.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote