Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Hydraulic lift system Hydraulic, mechanical and electrical components of the lift system

Old 06-30-2016, 06:37 PM   #1

Default 1979 HiLo Won't Lift

We have a pretty well-maintained 1979 Hi-Lo camper. We use it several times a year. We were going to take it out this weekend, but it won't lift. We've had an issue before with grounding, which we've since fixed. Here's what we've done:

Camper is level
Camper lifted half way, then stopped
Bypassed the switch, switch is good
Replaced the solenoid (just in case)
New solenoid engages, motor just hums
Checked fluids, they were fine
Battery is fully charged
Camper will go down when switch is depressed

Does anyone have any ideas as to what we can try next? I'm SO ready to go camping!

Tinatot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:03 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinatot View Post
We have a pretty well-maintained 1979 Hi-Lo camper. We use it several times a year. We were going to take it out this weekend, but it won't lift. We've had an issue before with grounding, which we've since fixed. Here's what we've done:

Camper is level
Camper lifted half way, then stopped
Bypassed the switch, switch is good
Replaced the solenoid (just in case)
New solenoid engages, motor just hums
Checked fluids, they were fine
Battery is fully charged
Camper will go down when switch is depressed

Does anyone have any ideas as to what we can try next? I'm SO ready to go camping!
No solutions for you, but now I don't feel like the Lone Ranger with lift issues.

1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 11:24 PM   #3

I'm wondering if something is binding up? You may want to get under the trailer and inspect the lift system including the cables, guides, ram, etc. Let us know what you find!
Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 05:34 AM   #4

May want to check the brushes in the motor - they may be getting short after almost 40 years of use. They are replaceable, should be able to find them at an auto parts store with a little time and a good parts alien life form. Less expensive than buying a new motor.
underpsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 04:06 PM   #5

Wink So....

Quote:
Originally Posted by underpsi View Post
May want to check the brushes in the motor - they may be getting short after almost 40 years of use. They are replaceable, should be able to find them at an auto parts store with a little time and a good parts alien life form. Less expensive than buying a new motor.
Alien life form? If I find that, I will DEFINITELY let you know!

Are these brushes difficult to get to? I don't think we've ever actually opened the motor.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:52 PM   #6

I understand it's not politically correct to call it a parts guy, and with some of the kids in the auto parts stores these days, it's almost like talking to someone from another world. The motor is basically an automotive starter motor. The brushes are under the cover on the opposite end of the motor from the pump. They are held against the copper bars on the armature by springs and the wire connecting them is held by a screw. It sounds more difficult to replace than they really are.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:15 AM   #7

I'm certainly no expert on DC motors but I would think if the brushes are bad you wouldn't be able to lift the top at all. Does it seem to stop at the same point every time? It sounds more like a physical obstruction somewhere in the lift system or something lodged between the upper and lower halves.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:32 AM   #8

This time it only happened once so I can't say it's in the same spot of different. We have been unable to get it to lift since last week. My husband is thinking the motor itself has gone bad. Any idea how hard or easy those are to find?
Old 07-06-2016, 08:04 AM   #9

You might try lifting it manually with the hand pump to isolate whether it's binding or the motor.
Larry
Formula357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:54 AM   #10
Site Team

Larry, that's an excellent suggestion! And, I agree with Rich - I doubt the motor would lift the top at all with failed brushes.

My vote is for an obstruction or low hydraulic fluid level. I know you said you checked it, but is it about 1/2" below the filler opening with the top down?

- Jack
Old 07-07-2016, 12:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinatot View Post
This time it only happened once so I can't say it's in the same spot of different. We have been unable to get it to lift since last week. My husband is thinking the motor itself has gone bad. Any idea how hard or easy those are to find?
Beginning with the basics, does the motor run at all and can you hear the pump running? Perhaps it's only a bad solenoid that supplies power to the motor. Using a 12-volt voltmeter, do you have power at the switched side of the solenoid when you activate the switch to raise the top?

Tags
lift, not lifting, raise