Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Hydraulic lift system Hydraulic, mechanical and electrical components of the lift system

Old 06-07-2019, 12:03 AM   #1

Default 1983 HiLo wont raise entirely

I am a brand new hilo owner and I have a 1983 16s trailer that wont raise all the way such that the safety engages. It gets 90% and then theres a squealing grinding noise which stops it completing the raise.

I dont know where to find the hydraulic fluid reservoir, but that's my first suspicion. Help??!

Zac

zwaddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 06:30 PM   #2

I recently had a similar problem. I thought it was a problem with too little fluid--it wasn't. It turns out there is some sort of adjustment to the lifting force and range that my repair person used to fix it. I don't know where it is or how he did it exactly. He got the information, he said, by calling the Ohio facility and they told him what to do. It works great now!

Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 10:03 PM   #3
Site Team

Welcome, Zac - Along with Alex's suggestion, look for something that might be between the lip of the lower half and the bulb seal of the top that would keep it from raising all the way. Things DO fall in there and can interfere with the lift.

- Jack
Old 12-05-2019, 10:50 PM   #4

Default Welcome to the forum.

You have joined a great group of dedicated HiLo owners. We love to help with questions. Post often. Ann
Usagi5678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 09:03 AM   #5

check pulley under top edge cap .on lower half..sometimes pulley freeze up/cable jumps out/pull down into mount/and plastic pulleys bust...my 22td has 4....Not familiar with any other models
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 09:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwaddington View Post
I am a brand new hilo owner and I have a 1983 16s trailer that wont raise all the way such that the safety engages. It gets 90% and then theres a squealing grinding noise which stops it completing the raise.

I dont know where to find the hydraulic fluid reservoir, but that's my first suspicion. Help??!

Zac
When you say there's a squealing grinding noise my first thought is that there is something binding or blocking movement, as Jack said. The reservoir is located as a part of the hydraulic pump.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 03:43 PM   #7
Site Team

zwaddington, Welcome to the forum. As a newcomer to the Hi Lo, I'd strongly recommend you scroll down on the opening page, to the reference library. Under "Hi Lo owners manual" you'll find the word "sticky" click on that and you'll find 32 short videos covering the systems on the Hi Lo. Even how to service those systems.
Let us know what you find in regards to the trouble your having, that's how we ALL learn.
When you go to the door of your "fully" raised unit, look at the rubber seal and let us know about how many inches from full up are you. Distance between the rubber seal and the upper trim. If it's an inch or so, it could just a minor adjustment to the cables. That we can tell you how to overcome in simple steps.
Tree

Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote