Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Hydraulic lift system
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Hydraulic lift system Hydraulic, mechanical and electrical components of the lift system

Old 11-25-2014, 02:07 PM   #1

Default 1988 HiLo safety bar bent causing trauma

Hi all
We have a 1988 HiLo 22 footer and really like it. We bought it a couple years back and have used it a couple of timws. The last time we were out, when i went to lower it to go home, the release cable seemed stuck. I finally got it to release using pliers, but i noticed that a bulge was growing in the floor, right above where the ram and safety bar live.
When we got back, i looked underneath and found the safety bar was nowhere near where it should be at the end with the cable....it was like the bar was too short, stretching the cable. When lifting the top you could watch the bulge in the floor get bigger and bigger. Finally figured out the safety bar was somehow binding up against the floor. I could not figure out a way to get to the bar from underneath so i cut a small hole in the floor to gain access to the bar. Once i got it out, it was clearly bent to heck.it was basically in an "S" shape at the end that lives above the ram. I will attach photos soon. The photos are misleading because i actually flattened the bar out some to get the bar out. My question is what shape should this bar be? Flat? Also how does it attach above the ram? It appears to just lie in a channel above the ram? Any advice appreciated....

ermilnanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 05:45 PM   #2

Welcome to the Forum!

The safety bar is pretty much straight and flat if I remember correctly. My HiLo dealer friend had to replace one that had bent like yours. It caused damage to the floor as well.

I think there was some discussion about the bar here on the forum some time ago. Try using the search function at the top of this page. I will look as well.

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 06:01 PM   #3

Default Photo Of Unhappy Safety Bar

Here is the safety bar
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20141125_103724.jpg (94.7 KB, 55 views)
Old 11-25-2014, 06:02 PM   #4

Take a look at this thread and you will learn a bit about the bar.

http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f22/...isengage-3406/
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 11-25-2014, 06:12 PM   #5

Yeah, looked at that thread...nice info but does not explain (or show) where the safety bar goes above the ram. On mine it is just a rectangle shaped opening...looks like it just lays in there? Don't see that it is fastened in any way....looking in my old manual with pics, it is not very clear either....anyone know (or better yet, have pics)?
Old 11-25-2014, 06:36 PM   #6
sam

Default Bent safety bar

Call my HiLo dealer as they will be able to answer your question. Mantelli Trailer sales. Jay in parts or Steve in service. 1-716-625-8877 Fax716-625-8395. E-mail jay@mantelli.com I hope this helps you.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 06:53 PM   #7

I think the bar bolts down on one end and floats free on the other where the cable goes through. But my memory is bad sometimes.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 11-26-2014, 05:01 AM   #8

It does not appear to bolt down, there are no bolt holes or anything. It looks like it just rests in a square channel that is located above the ram. Anybody know for sure?
Old 11-26-2014, 10:16 AM   #9

I do not think that it is bolted, but I am not certain. This string has a number of photos that may help you:

http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f22/...isengage-3406/

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 07:39 AM   #10

Yeah, reviewed that thread in depth...lots of great pics of the cable end of the safety bar, but none of the other end. I fixed the problem though, and here is how:
I straightened the safety bar out, and put it back in place; the only caveat is that they must load the safety bar onto the frame and then bolt the floor down, as there is no way I found to fit the safety bar into the channel above the ram AND the channel at the cable end at the same time.......it fits into both (at the same time) so snugly. If you place one end into its location the other would not fit into its spot........so I placed the bar where it should go in the channel at the cable end, and placed it on top of the channel on the ram end, and bolted it down there. Works perfectly!
Thanks for all the help!
Old 04-28-2015, 06:19 PM   #11

So am I safe to take the safety release bar out of my ram and it should just pull out of that end ?

Josh is offline   Reply With Quote