Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Hydraulic lift system
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Hydraulic lift system Hydraulic, mechanical and electrical components of the lift system

Old 05-17-2015, 06:39 AM   #1

Default 1994 hi lo wont raise all the way up

Greetings all. I just picked up a 1994 hi lo. When raising it, it goes up right away and down but it feels like it needs to go up at least one more inch to be fully raised. Also the safety cable doesnt appear to do anything since i can go up and down with the switches. Read somewhere that you should have to release the cable before lowering it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

airdenis4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:09 AM   #2
Site Team

Sounds like it could be a cable adjustment needed. If you look, and you could take the top trim off the bottom half to expose the pulleys, which would help, you could see if the bulb seal is meeting the lip on the outside edge of the bottom half. If it is below it, shorten the cables, which will raise the top higher.

Look through the forum for posts on cable adjustment. And, if you find an owner's manual that is close to your model year (+/- 5 years) it would tell you how to do it too. Actually, you don't even have to be close to your model year, because the lift mechanism has not changed over the years.

But, from your post, it sounds like the top is not high enough to allow the safety bar to engage.

- Jack

Old 05-17-2015, 08:39 AM   #3
Site Team

Might start by checking the fluid level in the pump tank with the top down..doesn't take too long.:
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:59 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeclimber View Post
Might start by checking the fluid level in the pump tank with the top down..doesn't take too long.:
Tree
That's a good suggestion too! (Why can't I think of these things?) If the pump runs out of fluid to pump, the lifting stops.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 11:00 AM   #5

So it actually looks like the one side is lower than the other. My camper is on an angle too. Is it possible that this is affecting it? The lower side is on the high side and the lower section appears to be at normal height. Does the top automatically level itself out.
Old 05-17-2015, 03:06 PM   #6

Okay. I added aft. Yes that seemed really low. No difference though except it sounded stronger going up. Levelled out camper still lower on the side with the door. Next is to adjust cables. I found the manual. Shows 4 adjusting screws. They are rusted so I put penetrating oil on it to try later. Did notice my safety switch bar looked bent but it moves up and down when you pull the cord. When I adjust do I have to put 4 2*4's for just one side? I thought I would just put one and drop it a little then adjust the screw for that side.
Old 05-17-2015, 03:25 PM   #7
Site Team

Air, Welcome to the forum! This is where to find the answers for the Hi Lo. Lots of informed (smart) people. Most have learned here or on their own, like you and I, ya gotta start somewhere. My right rear was low (referring to the trailer!). so on my 2000 240U the top right adjusting bolt was my target. I lowered the top completely and lightly, clamped vise grips on the bolt (behind the frame) otherwise the bolt just spins. While holding the grips, I loosened the locking nut, TIGHTENED the adjusting bolt ( Because I had NO idea of the effect, I only turned it about 2 complete turns), tightened the lock nut, raised the top, keeping a lookout (and ears out?). All went well, but needed just a little more, repeated the process and now the whole top is level and snug. I learned along time ago, when unsure, proceed slowly!
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Old 05-17-2015, 04:59 PM   #8

Thanks for that information. Sounds a little more easier.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:21 PM   #9
Site Team

I've done it both ways. I tried Treeclimber's method first, and it worked pretty good, but I refined the lift with 4-2x4s, that I still have in case I need them again.

- Jack
Old 05-17-2015, 08:20 PM   #10

So since I'm about an inch down on the door side of the trailer which has the switches on that side do you think if I adjust the cables to get it higher then the safety cable will click in place? Right now it's loose on the bottom.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:44 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdenis4k View Post
So since I'm about an inch down on the door side of the trailer which has the switches on that side do you think if I adjust the cables to get it higher then the safety cable will click in place? Right now it's loose on the bottom.
You won't know till you try.

- Jack
Old 05-18-2015, 09:47 AM   #12

Good point Jack!
Old 05-18-2015, 02:28 PM   #13
Site Team

Air, is the top all the way up? If the reservoir was VERY low, air may have been pumped into the cylinder. If you haven't already, cycle the top two or three times- full up, full down. If you make the adjustments too early, and the air is purged out of the system later, it may result in overextending the cables! Just use caution. Cycling a few times takes a few minutes, replacing things take much longer. Not sure Hi Lo hydraulic systems are self bleeding or not.
That done, then the two top adjusting bolts are your targets. Again, I only suggest you make two complete turns, tighten the lock nuts, raise the top and see the effect and go from there. let us know what happens.
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Old 05-18-2015, 02:45 PM   #14

Will do. My bolts were really rusty so i sprayed penetrating oil to try and make them turn easier. Im planning on trying tonight.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:22 PM   #15

Got snow today so ill be doing the adjustments soon.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:41 PM   #16
Site Team

Air, Had to "Google" snow. Then I remembered, it's the white stuff!
Kidding-- I once lived in Newfoundland. Got any questions--Just ask--several people are with you.
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Old 05-19-2015, 02:44 PM   #17

The bolts look pretty rusty but i think ill attempt the adjustments soon. I live in Upper Michigan.
Old 05-19-2015, 04:56 PM   #18

Please keep the snow up there. UP? I would keep hitting those bolt with penetrating oil every day or so and keep tapping them with a rubber mallet as long as it is not conducive weather for doing other things. Work them back and forth little by little. AS Treeclimber says---go SLOW. GEt them loose so you don't have to shear them off.

rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 06:56 PM   #19
Site Team

No hurry, Air, if there's snow weather up there, then your in no hurry to go camping anyway. Attempt to tighten as well as loosen. Wire brush exposed threads, lightly, just enough to show a little shine. This will prevent tearing up threads when it DOES come loose.
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Old 05-20-2015, 03:53 PM   #20
Site Team

Airdenis4k, What happen? You get snowed in? Hope that penetrate is working.

Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC