Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Hydraulic lift system Hydraulic, mechanical and electrical components of the lift system

Old 10-18-2015, 11:29 AM   #1

Default 1995 towlite 246tb no hydraulic pump can lower manually

Hi,
we just bought a 1995 towlite 246tb, but without the hydraulic pump. The problem is we cannot lower it.
Can't find the manual. Does someone knows how to manually lower it? And, where I can buy the pump? I'll appreciate all the advise anyone can give me.
Thank you,
Eli

eerodz04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 01:45 PM   #2

Answered your other post before I saw this one. I wonder what is holding it up? If it is just the safety bar I might try getting farm jacks on all for corners and raising a couple inches until I can release safety bar. Then lower a few inches at a time on each jack until it is down. If only safety bar is holding it I would be frightened of more damage transporting it that way.

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 06:11 PM   #3

So, since I don't have the trailer manual, do you know where this safety bar is located? And it will lower it down just by releasing this safety bar?
Thank you Rick
Old 10-18-2015, 06:41 PM   #4

http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f49/...-towlight-621/

Start with above link. This manual should be pretty close. Try to figure out what you DO have.... As there are a number of components that make this all work and the little I know isn't sufficient to totally tell you how to remedy this. Is the reservoir still there. Is there a batterey. Others should be along to help but you should be able to get that manual from the library.

4x4
Old 10-18-2015, 06:48 PM   #5

I downloaded the manual, but ununfortunately you can't see the words good enough to read.
I don't have a battery and I don't know if it has that reservoir. I will check it out.
Someone told me I can find a manual pump for these cases. Do you know anything about that?
Thanks
Old 10-18-2015, 08:41 PM   #6

Some hi L0 models were fitted with a manual lever you could pump to raise the trailer but it was part of the original hydraulic pump. In short- the whole thing operates like a hydraulic jack except the jack cylinder is located horizontally under the trailer and connects to cables and pulleys to make things go up and down. I'f it is resting on the safety bar and there is no pressure in the lines to keep it up then if you got the safety bar to move the whole thing would crash down I suspect. But you would have to raise it to release the safety bar because there is too much weight on the bar for it to move. Check the library section in this forum to online links to utube videos---- try to take a picture of inside of batterey compartment and post it so we can see what is there. I realize the PDFs is rough but I can open it and enlarge it on a tablet. I realize you are likely in a hurry but without more info I don't think there is a quick solution to this. Who sold it to you and do you know the back story?

4x4
Old 10-19-2015, 07:21 AM   #7

Try looking here for the pump assembly:
Home - JR REPAIR
and here:
http://hilotrailerparts.webs.com/app...s/show/2088288

Those include the pump, reservoir, and backup manual pump.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by eerodz04 View Post
Hi,
we just bought a 1995 towlite 246tb, but without the hydraulic pump. The problem is we cannot lower it.
Can't find the manual. Does someone knows how to manually lower it? And, where I can buy the pump? I'll appreciate all the advise anyone can give me.
Thank you,
Eli
Where in California are you located?
w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:37 AM   #9

Northern Tool sells a pump almost identical to the one HiLo used. Check them out.
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 10:30 AM   #10

Here is link to an "ex-dealer" in Madison wi who says he has salvaged pumps. Likely get a better deal than a new one-----though it certainly comes with caveats.

If you feel compelled to transport while raised on a flatbed then find a way to build a structure to support the top independently while traveling----like 2x4s vertically wedged under along the edges of the top to take the weight off the cables. You might make it home that way.

Jerrys Camping Center: Travel Trailers, Expandables, Pop-Ups, Fifth Wheels, Truck Caps, Motorhomes, Truck Campers: Madison Wisconsin

Good luck

Rick

4x4
Old 10-19-2015, 12:38 PM   #11

That's an idea to consider. Thanks Rick
Old 10-19-2015, 12:40 PM   #12

Thanks. I'll check it out
Old 10-20-2015, 03:18 PM   #13

Hi everyone,
I found this website and I called and they know a lot about hi-lo. The owner, Joel, was the former plant manager for the hi-lo company. Anyway, their website is www.hilotrailerparts.m.webs.com and their phone number is 419-886-0008
He told me the same thing you told me Rick, about putting the Jacks in all corners and to release the safety bar.
Well, just pass this info. They can help with parts too because they sell them.
Take care and thanks everybody
Eli
Old 10-20-2015, 04:20 PM   #14

Thanks Eli- most of us are well aware of them-----eventually somebody would have told you to give them a holler. But- thanks for the heads-up. I am sure there are newer folks who are not aware of them. Let us know how this goes. There are more than a few hi-lo owners out your way so I wouldnt hesitate to try and contact one if you need more close by help . If you search the forum you can find a wealth of info including total rebuilds.

Keep in touch. We all love to live vicariously through other's dilemmas.

Rick

4x4
Old 10-20-2015, 04:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by eerodz04 View Post
Hi everyone,
I found this website and I called and they know a lot about hi-lo. The owner, Joel, was the former plant manager for the hi-lo company. Anyway, their website is www.hilotrailerparts.m.webs.com and their phone number is 419-886-0008
He told me the same thing you told me Rick, about putting the Jacks in all corners and to release the safety bar.
Well, just pass this info. They can help with parts too because they sell them.
Take care and thanks everybody
Eli
That was one of the websites I referred you to yesterday. JR Repair also has the pump.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 04:29 PM   #16

Right you are Rich. I missed that. Apparently, So did Eli.

Rick

4x4
Old 10-22-2015, 08:10 AM   #17

Yes, you are right. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:12 AM   #18

Yes, you are right. I overlooked that. It would have avoided me a lot of search. Thanks for helping Rich
Old 10-24-2015, 05:33 PM   #19

Extreme caution needed to release Safety Bar and lower with jacks. Would suggest blocking be used at all time and doing the lower in stages as once the Safety Bar is released the only thing holding the top up will be jacks being used. Alert -- some farm/wagon jacks will automaticly release if their load becomes light enough. Truck camper screw jacks work good if they allow enough travel from full up to full down position. If all hoses are still intact to the ram and ram and hoses are still full of oil a valve could be installed on hose end that attached to pump and valve used to control decent after releasing SafetyBar. Again use this and all suggestions on this procedure only if you have a COMPLETE understanding of what this involves and the risks associated for the camper and all personnel.

jimmy1 is offline   Reply With Quote