Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Hydraulic lift system Hydraulic, mechanical and electrical components of the lift system

Old 07-06-2015, 10:31 AM   #1

Default 2001 Hi-Lo 2202LG wouldn't lift to the locks

It leaked down pretty rapidly when I released the up toggle. I lowered it and realized that there wasn't enough fluid in the reservoir, so I added almost a quart and raised it to the locks. There were no puddles anywhere to indicate exterior leaks. I've lowered it down now, but know if the fluid is captive and leaking, up or down moves might become impossible. Anyone have any ideas? I've got it up on short jack stands now.

bstagg02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 01:20 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstagg02 View Post
It leaked down pretty rapidly when I released the up toggle. I lowered it and realized that there wasn't enough fluid in the reservoir, so I added almost a quart and raised it to the locks. There were no puddles anywhere to indicate exterior leaks. I've lowered it down now, but know if the fluid is captive and leaking, up or down moves might become impossible. Anyone have any ideas? I've got it up on short jack stands now.
Welcome to the forum. The reservoir will empty as the top is raised. It should be about 1/2" to 1" from the top while lowered

RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:57 PM   #3

Still wonder what's allowing it to leak off, if it's not all the way up. Adjusted cables today and greased piston guide. Works well, though slow, except for leaking down.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Still wonder what's allowing it to leak off, if it's not all the way up. Adjusted cables today and greased piston guide. Works well, though slow, except for leaking down.
Bstagg, I sent you a private message.
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 04:18 PM   #5

You may have a problem with creep. Here is a guide for taking care of that:
http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f61/...o-trailer-129/
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:42 AM   #6

I have decided, thru process of elimination, that I am having fluid run past the pressure seal in the ram, so am in the process of removing it. I am having a hard time removing the tubing to pipe adapter in the base of the ram. I have removed the high pressure line. A19 mm socket fits the adapter, but a half inch breaker bar won't budge it. It needs to be removed to clear the notch in the frame. Does anyone have suggestions?
Old 07-27-2015, 11:18 AM   #7

Quote:
I have decided, thru process of elimination, that I am having fluid run past the pressure seal in the ram, so am in the process of removing it. I am having a hard time removing the tubing to pipe adapter in the base of the ram. I have removed the high pressure line. A19 mm socket fits the adapter, but a half inch breaker bar won't budge it. It needs to be removed to clear the notch in the frame. Does anyone have suggestions?
It's not left-handed threads, is it?
Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 11:28 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckydog671 View Post
It's not left-handed threads, is it?
Don't you hate that possibility? I think any component that is left-hand threaded should be clearly marked as such.

But, in my opinion, I doubt the adapter is LH threaded. Usually, that choice is reserved for things that would unscrew by themselves in use, due to the rotational direction of the thing they are attached to.

Can you apply some penetrating oil to the fitting? And, try "rocking" it back and forth a bit. Also, I've found hitting the breaker bar with a hammer can "shock" a tight fitting loose.

- Jack
Old 07-28-2015, 09:53 AM   #9

I would bet money that it is a standard right hand thread. Rent or borrow a impact wrench and apply a little heat to the ram fitting if possible. I think it will come out then.

2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote