Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Hydraulic lift system Hydraulic, mechanical and electrical components of the lift system

Old 03-18-2011, 08:41 AM   #21

Send a message via Yahoo to sting32

Just want to put this in this thread....

Another caution (your hero hopefully mentioned this to you) don't hit that starter when frustrated and angry or panic (because you give it extra force in the blows) and you'll will shatter the magnets if you go all "ape-feeces" on it. Go ahead, aks me how I know this...

What is the tapping on it doing (if lucky)? Tapping the motor, and the shaft inside is in a pretty strong magnetic field, and sometimes will turn just enough to get to where the armature (that is the shaft of the motor) finally gets a good contact via the brushes. Lots of times this is a cheap "brush" issue. Brush being carbon touching brass contacts on armature. other times it is a bad spot on the armature, and it will randomly "park" itself there. Rebuilder shops (for alternator/starter/generators) can usually test and repair, since replacing the pump motor itself might be hard to do.

Hopefully for you it was/is freaky weather related corrosion or something.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:12 AM   #22

Default absolutely no heavy hitting....

Thanks, Sting -- for clarifying - he really did just tap it, and I'm pretty sure it is a case of brush corrosion. I'm going to look around for someone who specializes in re-building these kinds of starter motors, in case it ever comes up again.

Go figure ... of all the things it could have been. However, I've learned an awful lot by combing over the forum and exploring my little "Toto"....

No heavy hitting!

MEBradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:52 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEBradley View Post
Thanks, Sting -- for clarifying - he really did just tap it, and I'm pretty sure it is a case of brush corrosion. I'm going to look around for someone who specializes in re-building these kinds of starter motors, in case it ever comes up again.

Go figure ... of all the things it could have been. However, I've learned an awful lot by combing over the forum and exploring my little "Toto"....

No heavy hitting!
Well no problem... I grew up on a big farm in KS, had to learn to fix our own stuff, shop labor rates are higher than heck. so I have messed with a lot of stuff, ya know. plus cars/motocycles/campers even power tools are a hobby. Just dont ask me about plumbing, I get it, but it still baffles me

I happen to post too much info, but many times that is because when I tried to find the info, I didnt find it all, and learned something the hard way as a result. So I am concientious about tryin to warn others from my experiences, or general knowledge. That is why I chime in, that is all.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:14 PM   #24
Site Team

And, remember the old mantra: "If it's broke, get a bigger hammer!"

Great story, Margaret. I've fixed many things with a tap or two in my life, and they were usually electrical things.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:43 AM   #25

Good one, but Actually the quote I go by is:

IF you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem..
Old 03-21-2011, 04:00 PM   #26

OK, one last word from me about batteries. I looked in my auto manual and here is the summary of voltage versus charge on a battery:

Battery Voltage reading State of charge

12.6 or more 100%
12.4 to 12.6 75 to 100%
12.2 to 12.4 50 to 75%
12.0 to 12.2 25 to 50%

Bottom line any battery reading less than 12.4 volts probably won't have enough MOXIE to raise the unit. You got to have a fully charged battery, clean connections, no loose connections, no corrosion, etc. to make it.
edward lansing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:56 AM   #27

I maybe a little late on this one but i'm new to this site. My wife and i just bought a Hi-Lo for the first time and it wouldn't raise up with he battery. checked this site and everyone said check the battery so i boosted i off i could hear silinoid ( not spelled right i know) but it wouldn't go up, so i tapped the pump a few times and up it went. Guess the pump hadn't been used in so long it ws stuck.
mullinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:39 AM   #28

Welcome to the forum and as a Hi Lo owner. Spend a lot of time here reading the old post regarding the lift system and its related electrical system, really the only thing different than most other RV"s. Clean up all the electrical connections in the lift system and battery circuit. Make sure you have a good battery also. Ask question here on anything you don't understand. Check out the events heading here on the forum about the 2012 Hi Lo rally in the Pigeon Forge area. Come join us.
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:02 AM   #29

Quote:
Good info about the motor not running when lowering. I found that out from Monarch today when I called. The trailer had been plugged in for about ten days prior to this problem starting, so hard to believe it's the battery -- and all lights inside shining brightly - plus technician said battery is good. The service tech did try to jump from the battery to the solenoid (is that the property terminology?) He called Monarch today and they seem to think it is the motor. I sure wish I knew RV repair in Houston area who is really experienced with Hi-Lo. But, I should be more trusting that these guys know what they're doing I suppose.
Hey,

Mine refused to pump, one time, because it was not level enough to safely go up I guess, it was while hooked to my truck, that had the tongue too high. Struck me funny though, it went up before at this "level" or so I thought. I leveled it out more, up it went. Im Not sure where or how this is detected or checked by the system though? Has to be some gravity thing, like seat belts have somewhere on pump or something?

The pump is a "automotive type starter" connected to a pump. Any alternator/starter repair place should be able to fix the pump...

If you tap too hard on a DC motor, you can break the magnets inside the case, go ahead and ask me how I know this, LOL.

IT is possible to tap on it I could be stuck, (edit: ok someone already posted that one)

But first!

1. Plugging in, is a trickle charging circuit only to charge the batter, it would NOT help get the top up, trust me.

2 I had a 6 month old battery in mine, I refused to believe it was the battery... Guess what? It was the battery! it would read 12v, until you put a load on it, then drop to less than 4v in about 4 seconds on a autozone auto motive battery tester (yeah I took it in to have checked on the machine)!

Batteries can fail at any time. just remember they make millions of these a year, there are going to be bad ones that get by ya know, mondays or fridays when shifts are about over, LOL.

I concur though, I would think the motor would at least turn then quickly die. Might have bad connections, you can jump directly to the big post that is going from selenoid to the pump motor with a good battery to test I guess.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:07 AM   #30

Default Price

Quote:
Good info about the motor not running when lowering. I found that out from Monarch today when I called. The trailer had been plugged in for about ten days prior to this problem starting, so hard to believe it's the battery -- and all lights inside shining brightly - plus technician said battery is good. The service tech did try to jump from the battery to the solenoid (is that the property terminology?) He called Monarch today and they seem to think it is the motor. I sure wish I knew RV repair in Houston area who is really experienced with Hi-Lo. But, I should be more trusting that these guys know what they're doing I suppose.

If yoyr dont mind me asking how much did rhis cost?
Ladyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 11:18 AM   #31

You do realize this is a 5.5 year old posting. The search tool is great for researching same issue from previous posters.

I recommend you start a new subject with your questions.

Give us a problem and likely we can help.

steve
kd7ctk
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 06:53 PM   #32

If the brushes in the motor get gummed up they will not make contact with the stator to run the motor sometime a light tap with a rubber hammer at the back end will drop the brushes enough to make contact. Just tap it lightly no with a "BFH"
2005retired2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:39 PM   #33

I have a similar problem. I think the solenoid that allows the motor to lift the body of the Hi-lo does not work. I replaced it once, but the part is not available any more from NAPA. Any idea of the replacement solenoid? Thanks in advance. Cheers, Rell
Rell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:47 PM   #34

I dont know why it wouldn't be available from NAPA anymore. Take it off or take a picture of it and take it and ask again or check another auto parts store.

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 04:28 PM   #35

Try looking at Tractor Supply.
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:55 PM   #36

It is a Ford type solenoid.

Bob

retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote