Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Hydraulic lift system Hydraulic, mechanical and electrical components of the lift system

Old 05-30-2010, 07:12 PM   #1

Default busting return line and losing fulid

had trouble getting top to go down. did find that fulid had leaked out of the return line that looked to be a plastic line. went to local hardware and found hose. filled with fulid but thought it said to fill half way not half inch from top. when tried to go up to release brake it bust the new line that was just installed. i was able to get the top to go down by using a couple of friends to push up release the brake then lowered it. it did fall very fast due to not having fulid. need to know if the busted line is from not filling properly r could there be a big problem?

drunkindian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:04 AM   #2

drunkindian

The return line, or low pressure line of a hydraulic system isn't suppose to have any notable pressure on it. Which would indicate the obvious, that it does have pressure, enough to bust this line. So my question is why?

I've never dealt with this issue on a Hi-Lo. In most hdraulic systems, the return line is an open circuit back to the reservior. So, pressure bulid up here would normally be caused by a blockage somewhere in the return circuit, or lack of venting at the reservoir. Venting in a system like this is normally provided by a vented cap on the reservior.

I wonder if there is perhaps a one way check valve in the return line circuit? If there we're and it was stuck closed, then this wuold be the blockage.

The only advise I have on this problem is:

1. Hopefully someone here on HTF will share some experience on this issue.

2. Call Tom Stacey at Hi-Lo and ask him. Sometimes a little hard to get in touch with, so just keep calling, here's the contact info. http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f9/h...ry-direct-180/

3. Testing: Test the return line circuit to find out where the blockage is.

Please keep us informed of your progress as many of us here on HTF are very interested in what you find, and we'd also like to help if we can.

Neal

Old 05-31-2010, 07:47 PM   #3

Unhappy

Thanks for the info. found that the return line may indeed be blocked as it enters the tank. removed the line there and to test it, removed the cap and placed the return line there. Found that the it tries to lift and the line now doesn't bust but the top doesn't go up. the pump sounds to strain and the top only lifts about two inches and will not go up any further. Is it possible the the top is now stuck somewhere not allowing it to go up futher. By the way iam only helping my sister who got the 2000 hilo about two weeks ago. We hope to make the camping trip that is planned for this weekend! It was to be her first trip in her own camper
drunkindian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:40 AM   #4

drunkindian

Its possible, that when the top had lowered very quickly, as you described in your first post, that the guide rod underneath could have been bent. The guide rod is located near the hydraulic ram, underneath the camper. You could lay near the tire and watch as someone trys to raise the trailer, to see if it's binding there.

Neal