Hydraulic lift system Hydraulic, mechanical and electrical components of the lift system

Old 02-22-2010, 05:52 PM   #1

Default Checking the hydraulic fluid

On our 2001 2201TL there is a label on the reservoir tank for the hydraulic fluid that says, "Fluid level should be 1/2" from top when trailer is completely lowered.

I don't know about all Hi-Lo models but on our's you cannot see the reservoir when the trailer is completely lowered and you sure as heck can't get to it to add any.

I ended up making a dip stick out of a plastic straw. I put it in the tank and lowered the trailer, then I raised the trailer and looked at the "dip stick" to see what the level of the fluid was when the trailer was down. After adding the necessary fluid and re-testing I discarded the home made dip stick.

Neal

Old 02-27-2010, 11:13 PM   #2

Default hdraulic lift system

Do not over fill the lift system. It is not nessary to add fluid unless there is a leak If you have a leak it will lose large amounts of flued quickley. If you over fill the system the excess will be pushed out. (big mess)

Sam Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:36 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to thermonieum
Default hydraulic lift fluid check

i checked my fluid level today. i found that with the trailer in the down possition from the street side (nondoor side) i could fit my hand in to the fill cap. once the cap was off i used an allen wrench, don't know what size but the small ell end was approx. 1 inch long. i put the small end in there to check it. it was low so i used a piece of clear tubing (from lowes) and a pump oil can. it took less than a half quart of dextron 3 atf. i then lifted it and put the cap back on.
thermonieum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 06:55 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to johnpeace

Big mess is right.
johnpeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 02:02 PM   #5

Default dextron 3 atf

Is Dextron 3 ATF the standard fluid for all models? Or, more importantly only to me... for a 1973?
Heath Mo Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:30 AM   #6

Heath -

So far, everything that I've seen from others here on HTF, and in various Hi-Lo documentation, has called for a Dexron fluid, for use in the hydraulic system of Hi-Lo campers. I don’t know if there are exceptions or not. Has anyone seen anything other than a Dexron fluid called for?

For anyone not familiar with Dexron, it's a trademark name owned by General Motors, and given to its brand of automatic transmission fluid. Due to various license expirations, you will see both “fully licensed” and un-licensed products available. Many people, including myself, sometimes call this “Dextron”, I’m not sure where we get the “T” from.

Our 2201 calls for Dexron II, which is no longer made as a licensed GM product, we couldn’t find any version of Dexron II on the store shelves here, I did find some on the internet. I called the Hi-Lo factory, and I was told to "just make sure it's Dexron".

The GM Dexron specification is currently up to VI, I don’t know which series are and aren’t still licensed through GM. Valvoline’s fully licensed Dexron VI, says it’s fully compatible with Dexron II and Dexron III.

So after my research, I decided to go with, “just make sure it’s Dexron”

Neal
Old 05-16-2010, 10:30 PM   #7

Thanks again Neal!

Since it goes down now, I will drop it down and check it, and fill it to 1/2" from the top, with Dexron 3.

You the man!
Heath Mo Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal and Bev View Post
On our 2001 2201TL there is a label on the reservoir tank for the hydraulic fluid that says, "Fluid level should be 1/2" from top when trailer is completely lowered.

I don't know about all Hi-Lo models but on our's you cannot see the reservoir when the trailer is completely lowered and you sure as heck can't get to it to add any.

I ended up making a dip stick out of a plastic straw. I put it in the tank and lowered the trailer, then I raised the trailer and looked at the "dip stick" to see what the level of the fluid was when the trailer was down. After adding the necessary fluid and re-testing I discarded the home made dip stick.

Neal
I'll have to try this straw idea; heck - even the allen wrench might work.

I tried to ck my fluid levels this evening, and ran into the same problem. Can't even get the cover off my '94 Funlite when the top half is down.
cptmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:02 AM   #9
sam

Default Filling hydrolic lift pump

Our HiLo dealer uses a mechanics mirror to see the fluid level. Hubby asked last year to be shown how to check the fluid level.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:27 AM   #10

Where is the hydraulic fill valve on a 2001 tolite high low m - 220 L

cidco71 is offline   Reply With Quote