Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Hydraulic lift system Hydraulic, mechanical and electrical components of the lift system

Old 03-29-2019, 02:36 AM   #1

Default Hydraulic Fluid Leak from Fill Cap Vent

Hello,

I've been a member since 2012 but this is my first forum post.

I need suggestion/help as to why every time I lower the top section I have hydraulic fluid coming up thru the filler cap vent.
A few weeks ago I added some hydraulic fluid because when I checked it, it appeared to be low. So I filled it to about 1 inch to the top of the fill hole. I know it needs to be filled to that level with the top section down, but I honestly don't remember if when I top it off, I had the top up or down; my bad.
I'm guessing that I may have overfilled it, but by now all that extra fluid should have come out thru the vent hole already; not so, spews fluid every time when lowered. The top portion goes up and down with absolutely no issue. My questions: Does the system need bleeding? If so, what's the proper procedure. Maybe the filler cap needs to be replaced? Will it eventually stop spewing fluid? I have not added any fluid since that very first attempt at topping it off. It's a very annoying problem and Super messy!! Any help or suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you.

1989 Voyager (2589RD)
ps I have noticed that when I lower the top a little bit at a time it doesn't seem to spew fluid thru the fill cap, when I lower it at a normal rate...it leaks!!

Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 08:27 AM   #2

I can not answer your question since I recently bought a 1990 229L and did not even know you could add hydraulic fluid. Where is the filler cap and vent located on your camper. Mine has worked fine so far and I just assumed that it is a sealed system. What type of fluid would you buy for this? Something from auto parts store, hopefully.

Freddiefreeloader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 10:09 AM   #3

My guess is that you did overfill it. On my HiLo you fill to 1" below the fill cap with the top down. When the top is up there is aprox 1" of fluid in the bottom of the reservoir. If your fluid level is correct it is possible that the top is lowering so fast that the fluid rushing back into the reservoir is causing some to spray out thru the vent. On my hydraulic pump there is an adjuctment that you can use to slow down the speed that the top lowers. It is far more common for HiLo owners to overfill the system tho. Use Dexron 3,4 or 5 to add to the reservoir. Do not use Dexron 6 as it is not compatable with the seals and O-rings in the pump and ram.
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 11:45 AM   #4

The fill cap itself has vent holes on it. The fill hole is on the reservoir tank, which is in the battery compartment. I used Dexron 4 to top it off. Chances are I may have overfilled my system.
Old 03-29-2019, 11:56 AM   #5

Thanks for your reply. Can you tell me where about is that adjuster? What would I be looking for; a bolt, a phillips screw or a lever?? Have you ever had to adjust yours? And if so, why?? Chances are I overfilled my system. Maybe by adjusting the rate of speed that the top lowers it will help stop the leak. Thanks for your help.
Old 03-29-2019, 08:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel View Post
Thanks for your reply. Can you tell me where about is that adjuster? What would I be looking for; a bolt, a phillips screw or a lever?? Have you ever had to adjust yours? And if so, why?? Chances are I overfilled my system. Maybe by adjusting the rate of speed that the top lowers it will help stop the leak. Thanks for your help.
On my 200527T I can access the fill cap when the top is down so I made a simple dip stick, making a mark where the oil was with the top down and then raised the top and made a mark where the oil again was. Now, rather than trying to fill the tank with the top down, I just check the level with the top up and add fluid accordingly. I know this doesn't answer your other questions but it might help with the correct amount of fluid to add with the top up, which was mentioned in a previous post.

1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filler cap vent hole leak, hydraulic fluid leak