Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Hydraulic lift system
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Hydraulic lift system Hydraulic, mechanical and electrical components of the lift system

Old 07-11-2011, 02:10 PM   #1

Default lift system fluid

how full should the fluid container be? It is hydraulic fluid correct?

Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:10 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
how full should the fluid container be? It is hydraulic fluid correct?
When it is in the down position you should be about one inch from the top. Service with Dextron II automatic transmission fluid.

Here is the link for the 2001 owners manual. It should be real close to yours as not much has changed through the years.

http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f49/...2001-hi-lo-23/

RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:02 PM   #3

I have a 2007 Classic 28. Any idea how to check fluid level with unit down? I can not get to the pump with the unit down.
5.7L V8 Hemi
Factory installed tow package
MStoneham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:27 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MStoneham View Post
I have a 2007 Classic 28. Any idea how to check fluid level with unit down? I can not get to the pump with the unit down.
I think you have a "fold up" cover, like mine? If so, what I did was simply bend a soda straw into a right angle so that I could put it in to the reservoir under the part of the cover that is still down. The bent down part of the straw then is used as a "dipstick".

AND, you may find it hard to get Dexron II fluid now. I found a source online through Amazon, but everything I've read tells me Dexron III is safe to add too, which is what I used a few months ago and things seem fine so far (through several lift and lowering cycles).

- Jack
Old 10-05-2011, 07:28 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

In the event that you can't check it, if the top goes all the way up and makes a squeking noise it is ok. If there isn't enough fluid the top will stop short and the lock bar won't drop in place.
(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MStoneham View Post
Hi Mike
As we both know our RVs do not have a fold up cover on the Hyd/Battery box. Two ways to check the fluid level. With a 1" hole saw cut a hole in the box on the front or side aprox 1" below the top of the fluid reservoir. With the top down you should be able to see the fluid level with a mirror and flashlight. Be sure to clean off the reservoir in the area you will be looking at. The other way is with the top up remove the reservoir cap and place a wood coffee stir stick or popsicle stick into the reservoir. Stuff a small rag into the neck to keep the stick vertical and prevent any fluid from splashing out. Lower the top then raise immediatly. Pull the now dipstick and you will clearly see the level on the stick. Mike we need to get together before it gets cold.

2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote