Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Hydraulic lift system
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Hydraulic lift system Hydraulic, mechanical and electrical components of the lift system

Old 03-19-2012, 09:50 PM   #1

Default Liquid Wrench Chain Lube

I know WD-40 is expressly mentioned in the owners manual to lube the cables and pulleys.

Will Liquid Wrench Chain Lube and Wire Cable Lube do the same thing, just as well.

The label indicates that is it. I don't want to do anything to upset the lift system. So I'm asking the experts advice.

Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:54 PM   #2
sam

Default What to lube cables and pullyswith

Don't use wd40 as it attracts dirt. Several years ago another forum member said to use Break Free. It is purchased in the sporting goods dept at Walmart. It is also used for gun lubrication. It costs around $5.00 if my memory serves me correctly. It comes in a black can.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:13 PM   #3

Atlee,

The short answer is that it probably doesn't matter if you lube the cables with either WD-40, or any other comparable product. As far as the cables and pulleys are concerned, one spray lubricant is just as good as another. The important thing is to inspect, clean, and lube periodically.

Personally, I ran out of WD-40 on a camping trip and tried some bicycle chain wax I'd brought for our bikes. I liked it and have been using ever since because it doesn't attract the dirt!

Your question is a good one, and certainly worth asking, but throughout the two year history of the HTF, a whole library of good questions have been asked, discussed and answered. You may not have to wait for an answer if you first check out previous applicable forums using the "Search" function.

Type "cable lube," into the search query box and you'll find a bunch of other good stuff relating to your question!

I know you are relatively new to the HTF and I sincerely hope you don't feel as if I'm putting you off by telling you to look up the answer yourself. Truth is that HTF answers tend too get a bit thinner the second and third time a question is asked. The above is written with respect as friendly advice to make your use of the HTF a more complete experience. One of the really terrific and valuable aspects about the HTF is the amazingly deep and rich body of knowledge and experience that has been deposited and organized herein! Its becoming Hi-Lo's version of the Library of Congress!

Jim
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
JMDoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:10 AM   #4

I've been using this grease less spray... It's actually a lubricant and cleaner. It's called superslickslickstuff, have any of you used it yet?
You can find it here: Premium Cleaning Lubricant
but they have it availble in local stores too. That's where i get it from
Cheers...
tsaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:37 AM   #5

I have not used the greaseless spray to lube the cables or pulleys. I question if the greaseless will flow into the inside of the cable or the pulley shaft. The purpose of lubing the cables is not only to protect the exterior of the cables but also to lube all of the individual wires that make up the cable as you get a lot of ware on the wires where the cable goes around the pulleys. The greaseless is a good product for the guide rod as it does not pick up dirt. Spray some of the greaseless lube on a bolt or rod and see if it flows. It needs to flow and penetrate into the interior of the cables.
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:18 AM   #6

I have noticed WD40 mentioned several times in the forum as a lubricant for cables , and more.
WD40 is a electrical contact cleaner and not a very good lubricant. Easy to use but inferior to most good lubes.
I would think that a spray silicone dry based lube would not attract dirt and lube better. Cable penetration needs to be good also.
Not saying I am smarter than the average peanut, but more of a question than an answer.
steve
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

I have been using the Liquid Wrench Chain and Cable Lube for a long time seems to do the job and it penetrates the cable. Having rode motor cycles a long time ago, I learned the importance of a lube that penetrates. Anything is better than nothing. what's the best, I don't know, best I can say is pick one and use it regularly.
(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:39 PM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopRichie77 View Post
I have been using the Liquid Wrench Chain and Cable Lube for a long time seems to do the job and it penetrates the cable. Having rode motor cycles a long time ago, I learned the importance of a lube that penetrates. Anything is better than nothing. what's the best, I don't know, best I can say is pick one and use it regularly.
I agree. If you keep your cables lubed and cleaned often, then a little dirt accumulation in between shouldn't be a problem. Like PopRichie says, "Anything is better that nothing."
I've used this for aircraft cables:
LPS 1 Greaseless Premium Lubricant

This is what I use on my trailer:
Tri-Flow Superior Lubricant Aerosol
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:16 PM   #9

Default Break Free

I also read long ago on the Yahoo Hi Lo Group to use Break Free. It's been working for me since I bought our Hi Lo in 2007. Actually used it yesterday and did my cables
God Bless
Papa
Papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:09 PM   #10
sam

Default What to use to lubricate the cables on the lift system.

What does the HiLo owners manual say to use to lube the cables? It may not give a specific product. Very good discussion. I will have to ask our HiLo dealer what they use. DH uses the break free as it is inexpensive and is readily available at Walmart in the sporting goods section (gun Dept).
Old 05-11-2012, 05:14 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

Don't rely on the dealer, When I bought our 95 from a old huge dealership and I asked about lubing the cables, he said I didn't have to lube them. When the first one broke, I discovered they were all rusted, been using a lube ever since.
My 2209T manual says to use WD40 or similar and lube at least every 6 months.
Sam, your dealer may be very knowledgeable, but I also stopped in a Hi-Lo dealer ship one time it was small, he sold about 6 different brands of trailers. There was only about 2 of each brand on the lot and only 2 Hi-Lo trailers, I had the 95 about 6 months and I asked him a few questions about one of his Hi-Lo s and he had to pull out the manual and look. He was a salesman and only had a part time helper.
(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:29 AM   #12
sam

Default Dealer /service

We are very fortunate to have an Aplus HiLo dealer. They have been servicing them for years. The service dept and the parts dept are top notch. They go the extra mile. In fact our service advisor was at our fine dinning and he gave a little talk and answered our questions. He also goes on our campout in Sept. He calls us ahead of time so he can bring parts and some stuff for free. The dealership is comitted to us HiLo owners.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by renoites View Post
I have noticed WD40 mentioned several times in the forum as a lubricant for cables , and more.
WD40 is a electrical contact cleaner and not a very good lubricant. Easy to use but inferior to most good lubes.
I would think that a spray silicone dry based lube would not attract dirt and lube better. Cable penetration needs to be good also.
Not saying I am smarter than the average peanut, but more of a question than an answer.
steve
My HiLo owners manual specifically mentions WD-40 as a lube for the cables. I ended up using Liquid Wrench Chain and Cable lube. The chain referred to is for motorcycles.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:07 AM   #14

Hey Altee!

Thanks for your comments on Liquid Wrench. My name is Dr. Larry Beaver, the chemist who helped develop the products. I thought I'd chime in to elaborate a little on chain lube.

In general, chain and cable lubes are designed to soak into chains or cables, then thicken enough to remain where they are put. They are not just an oil. Cables need internal lubrication to protect against wear as the cable strands “work” against one another. This is called fretting wear. This requires a specialty lubricant that applies as a thin liquid, but is designed to rapidly lose some solvent to leave behind a thicker lubricant deep inside the cable. Once inside the cable our Chain Lube behaves more like a thickened oil, or grease.

Likewise, chains require an initially “thin” lube that can migrate inside the chains and leave behind a long-lasting film of lube. You don’t get that kind of protection with a standard lubricant that goes on thin and stays runny. That’s why a standard lubricant will sling off a chain where our Liquid Wrench® Chain Lube won’t.
Liquid Wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:14 PM   #15

Hey Sam,

Is that Aplus Hilo Dealer that you mentioned, Mantellis in Lockport? They are a GREAT Dealer. I wonder what lube they would recommend on the cables? (I use Break Free)

Dann & Diane Yeager
1704 HiLo
2008 F150
dannyeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:26 AM   #16

Liquid Wrench now puts out (not sure when they started and don't really care) a lubricant that "dries" after you put it on specifically so it won't attract dirt like other lubricants will.

Dirt is your enemy when it comes to something being lubed... what is the point in lubricating it so it works easier and better just to fill it with dirt?...

In the for-what-its-worth column, WD-40 is a HORRIBLE lubricant, it works great to dry things out (electrical), not very well to break things free (liquid wrench and pb blaster do a much better job) and doesn't last long enough for a lubricant. Unfortunately you can buy it EVERYWHERE so people "think" it's great... I've seen it at craft stores, the supermarket, convienence stores, auto parts stores and I've even seen it at a glass shop (stained glass)...

I remeber when I stopped using it for lubricant... sqeaky door hinge on my truck, used it, two weeks later it was sqeaking again, and that's when I stopped... it just doesn't last as a lubricant, buy something better.
davidc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:17 AM   #17
sam

Default Lube

Dannyyeager, I must have missed your post on 5-15-2012. Yes, that aplus dealer is Mantellis in Lockport,NY. I'll will have to ask steve what they use to lube the cables. We also use breakfree.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidc View Post
Liquid Wrench now puts out (not sure when they started and don't really care) a lubricant that "dries" after you put it on specifically so it won't attract dirt like other lubricants will.

Dirt is your enemy when it comes to something being lubed... what is the point in lubricating it so it works easier and better just to fill it with dirt?...

In the for-what-its-worth column, WD-40 is a HORRIBLE lubricant, it works great to dry things out (electrical), not very well to break things free (liquid wrench and pb blaster do a much better job) and doesn't last long enough for a lubricant. Unfortunately you can buy it EVERYWHERE so people "think" it's great... I've seen it at craft stores, the supermarket, convienence stores, auto parts stores and I've even seen it at a glass shop (stained glass)...

I remeber when I stopped using it for lubricant... sqeaky door hinge on my truck, used it, two weeks later it was sqeaking again, and that's when I stopped... it just doesn't last as a lubricant, buy something better.
For better or worse, Hi-Lo named that brand by name in it's literature.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:50 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
For better or worse, Hi-Lo named that brand by name in it's literature.
My literature is 22 years old and a lot of it looks like it was writen in the 70's as do the pictures... one of them has shag carpet in it, most of the outer doors have bare metal trim around them... square metal trim, all my doors have rounded corners, painted trim... and no shag carpet...

So how much of the manual was just copied over (by the printer, think print shop) year to year just because it was easier and cheaper... Now I could make a new manual, making changes, change the pictures from my digital camera and print it from my laser printer over and over for far less then the cost of having a print shop do it...

This he mentions at the end (2:07 timeframe) some sort of silicone or wd-40 to lubricate the pullies and cables and then he just keeps saying wd-40. So I have to think "wd-40" is just because of the commonality of the name.
davidc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:10 AM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidc View Post
My literature is 22 years old and a lot of it looks like it was writen in the 70's as do the pictures... one of them has shag carpet in it, most of the outer doors have bare metal trim around them... square metal trim, all my doors have rounded corners, painted trim... and no shag carpet...

So how much of the manual was just copied over (by the printer, think print shop) year to year just because it was easier and cheaper... Now I could make a new manual, making changes, change the pictures from my digital camera and print it from my laser printer over and over for far less then the cost of having a print shop do it...

This he mentions at the end (2:07 timeframe) some sort of silicone or wd-40 to lubricate the pullies and cables and then he just keeps saying wd-40. So I have to think "wd-40" is just because of the commonality of the name.
That, plus WD40 is a product in a spray can, which wasn't really common way back when. I think the spray "feature" is necessary to get to the entire cable and all the pulleys.

I agree with everyone though, I'm no fan of WD40. I think it gets "gummy" with age and tends to "bind" things.

- Jack