Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Hydraulic lift system Hydraulic, mechanical and electrical components of the lift system

Old 08-20-2016, 12:11 PM   #1
Site Team

Default New Lift Cylinder

We where at Rainbow Spring CG about a month ago and went to raise top and it only went up about a foot and then nothing but the pump noise. Hummmm... Plugged into shore power and went scouting the town. On return, same thing, no rise. Checked fluid--in down position, almost empty! Got out a quart, poured it in and top went up, slowly. Not the battery, and no fluid on the ground. BUT the clear tube to the reservoir was FULL. Internal leak. Lots to do around the house, so wasn't able to do anything till last weekend. With the cylinder out, I took it to a local hydraulic shop on Monday and they called on Tuesday to pick it up. Installed on Wednesday cleaned and lubed as needed and pushed the switched -- wa-la! up cycle took 11 seconds -down takes 10.
Total cost---$207.36 included a repack of the cylinder, new stainless fitting and two quarts of ATF (to fill cylinder and a small purge of the reservoir). Time was about 3 hrs. out and 2 hrs. in. Basic tools and 7 wire zip ties. Oh, and a knock on the head from the free floating safety bar (nothing holds that in place but the cylinder!) A very good experience for me. Next, this winter I'll install a new rubber roof from frame up, wish me luck.
Treeclimber

Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 01:24 PM   #2
sam

Default Cylinder repair

Good job getting your cylinder repair and reinstall. Please do a photo bucket of your rubber roof install. Somewhere down the road we may be doing this.Lots of good u-tube and others who have done this repair. This should save you thousands of dollars. Our expensive hobby!!

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 08:40 PM   #3

Did that mess up your camping trip? I hope not.
I recently had to get my cylinder repaired, they said it blew off the top of the piston. It happened in my yard and I was so glad that I did not just make a long drive to a campground and not be able to "raise the roof". The hand pump wouldn't raise it either.
The good thing is that every time I repair something I learn a lot about how things work.
Larry
Formula357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:59 AM   #4
Site Team

Totally agree with you about learning things. No the internal leak didn't mess things up. I was able to get the top up and on the safety bar, so we were good for the week. My past experience with hydraulics in Naval aviation told me it was an internal leak and what had to be done. Hopefully, I'm good for another 250,000 cycles
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote