Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Hydraulic lift system
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Hydraulic lift system Hydraulic, mechanical and electrical components of the lift system

Old 06-05-2012, 05:00 PM   #1

Smile OK how do I ??

A friend gave my daughter and son in law a mid 70s hi lo camper. He told them that it needed the cables lubricated. Well you know who is going to do the work. So I have to ask how do you access the cables? I have never been around one of these before and do not have a clue as to how to go about this. Thanks

Standing Elk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:21 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

Go to the Reference Library and look at a couple manuals the cable system is the same in all Hi-Lo's. There has been a lot of discussion on what kind of oil to use for lubing the cables. Some manuals say to use WD40, I use Liquid Wrench chain and cable lube, both are in spray cans. Cables are underneath, lube with top down, then lube with top up to get the places missed when down, also try to lube the top part of the cables from inside.
Also grease the guide bar below the hydraulic cylinder.

(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:17 PM   #3
sam

Default 70s HiLo Maintenance

Standing Elk,welcome to the forum. We are here to help you and answer your questions. Just ask.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:28 AM   #4

Most of the cable itsself can be seen/lubed from under the camper, you can see the hydraulic cylinder (about midway of the camper) and just follow it from there.

DO NOT remove "caps" for the pullies that you can see inside the trailer, it is the only thing holding them in, and if you don't take proper precautions, NOTHING!!! will be holding the top half of your camper up...

There doesn't seem to be very many warnings about this little fact anywhere, they didn't even bother making the screws different (other than maybe color) than any other screw in the camper...
davidc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:45 AM   #5

davidc, I don't know what you mean by -- caps? What year and model trailer do you have? The wood trim over the pulleys inside can be removed, it does not support the pulley. I remove it where I can in both of my trailers, so that I can lube the upper part of the cable.
Rich
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
Old 06-06-2012, 07:52 AM   #6
sam

Default Lubing cables

We do the same as poprichie77. Dh removes tne interiorcap and screws to lube the cables,never a problem. 1990 25ft. Classic.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopRichie77 View Post
davidc, I don't know what you mean by -- caps? What year and model trailer do you have? The wood trim over the pulleys inside can be removed, it does not support the pulley. I remove it where I can in both of my trailers, so that I can lube the upper part of the cable.
Rich
I have a 1990 FunChaser, and I have removed the trim / cap that is over the pully and thank god I only did 1, the pully started to slide off the top of channel that the cable goes in to the underside of the camper... It would have slid completely off had I not caught it with the screw-driver I was using. I got the cap back on and checked the other side, same thing.

I saw no holes missing screws or any other holes at all... I looked with an inspection mirror between the top and bottom section... There were only the 2 holes that the long screws went threw the trim piece... Year / model design flaw / overlook?

I will fix this issue sometime soon, when I do, I'll snap some photos and post them along with what I did to fix it.

Maybe it's not an issue that everyone has, but it could be a very bad surprise if you do have it.

Sorry for the delay, I've been having TV fuel issues that took some tracking down... Clogged fuel filter and a fuel pump that would only prime and run sometimes. New pump in, all is well again.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:48 PM   #8

Anytime I am working with the pullys, cable attachments, or adjusting the cables I support the top with 2x4's so there is no weight on the top. Safety first if something should break, slip or come loose.
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:31 AM   #9

Safety first is good advice and since your pulleys are loose with the cap off, do as JIM L suggested,
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
Old 06-10-2012, 07:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopRichie77 View Post
Safety first is good advice and since your pulleys are loose with the cap off, do as JIM L suggested,
That goes without saying from now on, but I REALLY did not expect the only thing holding up the top (pully) from falling off was a couple of wood screws... Especially since there was no warning of this in the owners manual, no warning sticker near them and the fact that they don't look any different from any of the other screws near them. They aren't even mentioned in my owners manual, just a diagram showing the location of all the pullies.

But, yes, from now on I will hold up the top section with 2x4's when I plan on doing anything.