Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Hydraulic lift system Hydraulic, mechanical and electrical components of the lift system

Old 01-13-2017, 03:52 PM   #1

Default Popping sound when trying to raise my trailer.

Hello,

I recently purchased a 98 20' hi low trailer with a cable snapped off the original owner.

He had it propped up at the time of purchase.

He was able to lower it and lift it for me with some help and tricks.

Well I snapped another cable trying to do what he did.

So I hired a guy to come replace the two cables which he was able to do but when trying to raise we get stuck.

Only the back wants to go up while the front is not budging and makes this loud popping noise. It looks to have bulged out the side of the camper a bit where the was water damage. So I am not sure if these are related.

But any information or ideas on what this may be would be appreciated.

Thanks

jakemadril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 03:59 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakemadril View Post
Hello,

I recently purchased a 98 20' hi low trailer with a cable snapped off the original owner.

He had it propped up at the time of purchase.

He was able to lower it and lift it for me with some help and tricks.

Well I snapped another cable trying to do what he did.

So I hired a guy to come replace the two cables which he was able to do but when trying to raise we get stuck.

Only the back wants to go up while the front is not budging and makes this loud popping noise. It looks to have bulged out the side of the camper a bit where the was water damage. So I am not sure if these are related.

But any information or ideas on what this may be would be appreciated.

Thanks
Make sure your guide rod is clean and lubed. Your guide blocks on the upper half may be cracked/broke. make sure they are riding on the tracks and that the tracks don't have loose hardware. It's a place to start. Also, make sure your cables are adjusted properly as per the link below.

http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f61/...1998-24td-125/

RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 04:13 PM   #3

Awesome thanks I will check this out when I get home and take some pictures.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:50 PM   #4
sam

Default Cable replacement

Make sure no door is left open on the inside that would cause binding. It is a good idea to replace all cables. Post some pictures of the bulge and we will help you. Welcome to the forum.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 04:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
Make sure no door is left open on the inside that would cause binding. It is a good idea to replace all cables. Post some pictures of the bulge and we will help you. Welcome to the forum.
Here are some pictures all these are coming from the under carriage where the guide block is. (which is the root of the problem in my mind) The bulge is an after affect of the guide block being stuck I think

But my issue starts here seeing as I am snapping the joints in the picture I forget their name. Basically the bright new shiny metal keeps snapping.

Even after that when I try to raise the camper I hear a loud popping noise and I feel it is coming from the guide block. Like it is trying to go across the rod but its getting stuck and going across unevenly.

Keep in mind I was able to lift and lower this when I bought it. It only had one snapped cable and needed two guys to guide the top up to the track as it went up.

Now when I got it home the two guys I had guiding it didn't do such a great job as the guys who showed me and caused me to snap another cable and in effect I started hearing that popping noise. I think at that point I got the guide block off track or something jammed up in there.

Now the front of the camper sits all the way down like it should and the back is raised just a bit its so seized up the back wont even go down and is at an angle.

I figured if I got those two cables replaced it would fix the issue. But in order to fix those two cables I need to be able to raise up the top to the camper. Which will have to be done manually now unless there is a way to fix this issue without manually jacking up the camper. any ideas are appreciated.

Currently the working cables are wound tight underneath the camper so I think in this case I need to manually jack up the top roof lubricate up the guide rod and block.
Replace those joints along with the all 4 cables and I should be good to go right?

I guess my biggest concern now is that I didnt cause anymore damage trying to raise the roof with a guide block seized up.

So from these pictures does it seem normal to you guys?

Or does it seem to be bending I cant tell I had no idea what it looked like before.

These pictures are my first time being under there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (103.9 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (110.8 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (118.3 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (122.1 KB, 33 views)
Old 01-17-2017, 07:32 PM   #6
Site Team

The guide rod doesn't look bent to me, but it sure looks dry and dirty/rusty. I'd try to clean it off and lubricate it with white lithium grease. It should be silver-shiny when clean.

I don't like the looks of that support at the end of the rod in the first and last picture. It appears to have been bent/broken away from the weld. I think it should hang vertically, perpendicular to the rod - not bent at an angle.

What the heck is the adjustment hook in the cable in the second and third picture? HiLos did not come with such a device installed. I'd get rid of it when you replace the cables.

You probably need something like at least two farm jacks to raise the end where the cables have snapped.

- Jack
Old 01-17-2017, 09:27 PM   #7
sam

Default cable replacement

Follow the link you were given for cable replacement. Jack has also given you some good advice/explination.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 09:18 AM   #8

Default Guide blocks vs guide rod.

I think you are getting the guide blocks and the guide rod mixed up. The guide blocks ride on the vertical tracks on the side of the trailer. They keep the upper and lower halves aligned for travel up and down. The guide rod is the rod underneath that keeps the hydraulic ram in alignment. Both are very important to the proper movement of the lifting/lowering process.

I am attaching the video manual for you to refer to. Video#34 shows the guide rod and its care. http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f49/...-youtube-1233/
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 07:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichR View Post
I think you are getting the guide blocks and the guide rod mixed up. The guide blocks ride on the vertical tracks on the side of the trailer. They keep the upper and lower halves aligned for travel up and down. The guide rod is the rod underneath that keeps the hydraulic ram in alignment. Both are very important to the proper movement of the lifting/lowering process.

I am attaching the video manual for you to refer to. Video#34 shows the guide rod and its care. http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f49/...-youtube-1233/
You are correct I was thinking of the guide rod. But SHE IS UP!!
I found a mobile mechanic out here in AZ that knows quite a bit about these campers and works on them for a moderate price.

I was being quoted 1200 to fix 1 cable from an rv dealership over here and thats not including the hours of them learning the hi lo setup.

He charged me 750 for two cables and sealed up a seam on my roof with EPDM.

If anyone wants his information let me know he has a shop up in Oregon and one down here in AZ his father runs the Oregon shop while he is mobile until he gets his shop opened up down here.

Now to start renovating the inside!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg up.jpg (170.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 01-30-2017, 02:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakemadril View Post

If anyone wants his information let me know he has a shop up in Oregon and one down here in AZ his father runs the Oregon shop while he is mobile until he gets his shop opened up down here.
Hi Jake, I'd be interested in his contact information. Thanks.
thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 03:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
Hi Jake, I'd be interested in his contact information. Thanks.
Bakers Mobile RV Repair-(541)604-5638

Dont mind the area code its from when he was up in Oregon I guess his father runs a shop up there too.
Old 12-06-2020, 12:53 AM   #12

I would be interested for the contact info of the shop in Oregon...I live in Oregon

2015 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Brianagee is offline   Reply With Quote