Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Hydraulic lift system Hydraulic, mechanical and electrical components of the lift system

Old 04-29-2013, 03:19 PM   #1

Default Pulley wheel found underneath center of trailer

All taken care of. Thanks.

azmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:35 PM   #2

Defenitely Check all cables and all pulleys on the four corners. I cannot imagine that if it's one of the lift pulleys you wouldn't have a sag when you put the trailer up. However if it did come from your trailer you need to find out where before you leave. It could have possible come from where the cables are routed underneath.

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:25 PM   #3

Hi,

A picture might help with ID.
miniceptor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:09 PM   #4

If it was a pulley for the front, lay a 4 x 4 or a couple of 2 x 4's across the front of the trailer making sure they span the frame. If it is a rear pulley, do this procedure across the rear. Lower the top on the boards. This should give you enough slack in the cable to replace the pulley. You can get replacement pulleys from J&R in Butler, Ohio.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:37 AM   #5

Do not raise or lower the top with the pulley missing. You could destroy the cable. If the top is down, raise it enough to use Bobs idea of supporting it with 2 4x4's. If the top is up cut 2x4's to the proper length to support the top as follows. In the front on the tongue and rear on the bumper locate the frame members under the abs covers and place 4 of the 2x4's vertically on the frame members to the bottom rail on the top. Pull the safety bar release cable and press the lower switch to remove the pressure on the cables. Since you have a 29' HiLo, if your HiLo has the outriggers that support the top in the center area when lowered I would also support the top at those points with 2x4's also. If I am leaving my HiLo in the up position for a period of time say a week or longer I also support the top this way. Prevents stretching the cables. I also carry 2 extra pulleys in case one breaks on a trip.
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:01 AM   #6

azmichael I take it your HiLo not have the outriggers That support the top when lowered that were added in newer longer HiLo's. They support the top and with no load on the cables. The top is also supported at the front tongue and rear bumper frame members. Do not travel with the cables supporting the top. You stretch the cables and cause the pulley's to break apart. Some owners of the longer HiLo's have added the outriggers. Mine has 3 on the driver side and two on the passenger side. These outriggers are 2" box steel and go thru the skirting and weld to the frame. Should not be an expensive add-on. We can provide pictures and more info if you need it.
central VA
Old 04-30-2013, 10:49 AM   #7

The laying of the boards horizontally on the trailer tongue area or rear area was the tecnique some HiLo factory reps used at a national rally (many moons ago) when they changed a pulley on a attendees trailer. Main thing they stressed was that the boards span the frame members so as to not crack the fiberglass covers. They then lowered the top on the boards to make the repair. See you and the better half at the rally JimL.

Bob
Old 04-30-2013, 03:02 PM   #8

Jim, my trailer is the same model as AzMichael and my trailer does not have the outriggers you are talking about either. My trailer has the rubber bumpers on the front and rear end of the trailer and I have had to reglue one of them before in the past.

The trailer does seem to go down to far as mentioned by Michaels post and usually I have to raise the trailer slightly to get it high enough to where I can open the storage door where my battery and pump are located by the door. I take my battery out when not in use and keep on a battery tender in the garage, so it makes it a little difficult to get the battery back in the storage when going to pickup the trailer. I have to basically lift the trailer slightly by lifting with my hands while my wife opens the storage door for access. All I can say is that its a good thing I keep in shape, it is a little heavy! I have thought about maybe putting a piece of 2x4 under the top somewhere near the middle section to keep it resting on it while in storage, but not sure if that would work or maybe do some type of damage?
Old 04-30-2013, 07:05 PM   #9

Hi PappaP
My 28' also rest on the 2 rubber pads at the front and rear plus the 5 outriggers. The outriggers have rubber pads/bumpers also so the top rest on 9 supports when down. With just support points at the front and rear on the older long HiLo's you get a lot of flexing in the center area of the top when traveling. I have seen post about cracks at the top of the entry door header. This area and the header area above the tipout if you have one is very weak on the longer and heavier tops. The added outriggers give you good support when traveling. I am not sure when HiLo added the outriggers and if they are on any of the shorter ones. With no pressure on the cables and pulleys when the top is down and traveling they are going to last much longer. Adding outriggers is a simple and inexpensive job considering the damage broken cables and pulleys can cause. For your information my background is as an aircraft mechanic with inspection rating and I worked for years in the skiing industry maintaining ski lifts. I have lots of experience with cables and pulleys.
central VA
Old 05-01-2013, 09:42 AM   #10

The problems that can be caused is not when the top is up but when down and supported at the front and rear on the bumpers. There is no support along the length of the top, and when traveling you can get a large vertical load in the center of the top when hitting bumps and pot holes. The outriggers give you that support. The lifting cables are attached to the top at least 3' in from the ends of the top. This gives you much better support and load distrubution on the top when it is up. When I first got my HiLo and supported the top with just 4 2x4's at the front and rear I found that the gap around the door got wider and the door did not latch when closed. This showed that there was sagging in the top in the header area over the door and tipout. When I added 2x4 supports at each outrigger I did not get this sagging. The outriggers are 2" box steel aprox 12 to 15" long and welded to the frame. Any good welder or weldering shop can do this. The number needed would depend on the length of the top and if you have a tipout. Hope this helps. Do a search on the forum for owners near you with a newer longer HiLo that has the outriggers and go look at how and where they are attached
central VA
Old 05-01-2013, 09:25 PM   #11

My 2001 29' Classic has 3 outriggers (should have been called knee knockers) Two are on the door side and one on the street side.

Bob