Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Hydraulic lift system Hydraulic, mechanical and electrical components of the lift system

Old 11-08-2018, 03:33 PM   #1

Default Pulley's/Cables

My son in law took my, thank God undamaged from Hurricane Michael, HiLo to work to sleep in during storm recovery while working 16 hour days. He has brought it back and asked me to ask y'all what to do when the pulley's appear to be coming up through the floor..... I haven't been in it since he brought it home. I need pics, but thought I would get this thread going in case someone has been here & knows what to do. thanks for all y'all do & the information shared here, absolutely priceless!!
(1980's model 20 ft. Funlite.)
Compass Lake in the Hills/Alford/"Paradise", FL.

Jeep traded in 10/9/18 day before Hurricane Michael
2014 Ford Explorer now.
HunnyHill1060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 04:38 PM   #2

That does not sound good... you should not be seeing pulleys coming up through or even pushing up against the floor. You will want to crawl under there and find out what is going on. In the meantime, DO NOT raise or lower that until you can verify what is going on under there. You can possibly avoid thousands of dollars in repair work if you look first and act later. Best of luck and hopefully you don't have a problem there.

JimandRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 07:17 PM   #3

My recollection was all the lower pulleys are mounted to the metal frame and not bolted to the floor at any point. The upper pulleys are in the top edge of the top half but the force on those would be down, not up. I would think if one of the pulleys is starting to push against the wood floor, you either have had a nut vibrate off the bolt that mounted the pulley or the bolt has rusted or otherwise failed.

I would *NOT* try to raise the trailer, and you should be able to inspect the lower pulleys on the metal frame with the top half down.

Another thought is has one of the cables slipped off the lower pulley and is it the cable starting to cut into the floor/side and it just looks like it might be a pulley. Either of those should be visible under the trailer with the top half down.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:03 PM   #4

Default Thank you!!

Thanks so much for the info!! We've been wrapped up in hurricane recovery but SIL is finally ready to take a good look @ what's going on. This info puts us in the right direction! will let y'all know!!
HunnyHill1060 is offline   Reply With Quote