Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Hydraulic lift system Hydraulic, mechanical and electrical components of the lift system

Old 03-05-2012, 10:23 PM   #1

Default Raised then Nothing!

I have a few questions about my 1984 HiLo if anyone can help me out that would be great. I raised the top of the trailer and it went up but as it was reaching the top it made some screeching sounds but I just thought it was normal, is it normal or did this ever happen to anyone? Also, after it raised all the way the power seemed to stop and it was confirmed when I tried to lower it at the end of the day, no power. The battery has a full charge and I also tried a different battery with a full charge but that didn't work either to restore power. Did this ever happen to anyone? Was it a blown fuse or something electrical? Or do you think the motor blew? Maybe something with the hydraulics? Does anybody know if this year has a manual hydraulic back up pump. Sorry for the all the questions but I'm mechanically inept. No manual included. Any help would be much appreciated before I call a professional that will stick it to me. Thank you in advance.

ogbozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:40 PM   #2

The screeching sounds are normal when the top is fully extended.

The top does not use power to lower, it uses gravity.

Did you pull and hold the release cable while holding the switch in the down position? If that doesn't work, then try to raise the top a little, then pull and hold the release cable and the switch in the down position. The top could be resting on the safety brake, and you need to raise it back up to get the brake to release.

w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:32 AM   #3

The screeching is the hydraulic pump starving for fluid as it maxes out and is normal. If the top doesn't extend all the way, you may need to add more fluid. Careful not to add too much. As campthewestcoast mentioned, you need to pull that release cable to lower the top.
Fireballsocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:30 AM   #4

Smile Re: Raised then Nothing!

Yes, when your top section gets to the top, you will hear a harmless squealing sound. I'll skip to the lowering valve part to save time. Pull both your lpg and hydraulic pump covers and set aside. You will see the hydraulic pump.
Back in the trailer, pull out your safety bar cable and lightly hold in place with a pair of vice grips. On top of your hydraulic pump is the lowering valve. There is a manual release valve rod, as wide as your hand, coming out of the side of this valve. Pull the rod forward until the top starts to move and lower the top.
Take your vice grip off of the safety bar cable and raise the top section halfway with your toggle switch.
This releases any excess high pressure that may have built up in the valve.
You should be able to cycle the top now.
There could be other issues, but I'm guessing that it is most likely this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogbozo View Post
I have a few questions about my 1984 HiLo if anyone can help me out that would be great. I raised the top of the trailer and it went up but as it was reaching the top it made some screeching sounds but I just thought it was normal, is it normal or did this ever happen to anyone? Also, after it raised all the way the power seemed to stop and it was confirmed when I tried to lower it at the end of the day, no power. The battery has a full charge and I also tried a different battery with a full charge but that didn't work either to restore power. Did this ever happen to anyone? Was it a blown fuse or something electrical? Or do you think the motor blew? Maybe something with the hydraulics? Does anybody know if this year has a manual hydraulic back up pump. Sorry for the all the questions but I'm mechanically inept. No manual included. Any help would be much appreciated before I call a professional that will stick it to me. Thank you in advance.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:32 AM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to jcurtis95
Default lowering the top

This was addressed in a post on 2-20-12. Sounds as if you have the same situation:

"the motor does not run when it is coming down, but, before it can come down, you must raise the top slightly by pushing the "up" or raise button [until the hydraulic pump sort of squeals], then pull the cable out that will release the safety bar and hold it out while pushing the "down" or lower button and the top should come down".

jcurtis95
2406 T
jcurtis95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:11 PM   #6

I thank you all for all of your help on this matter. I noticed the "no power" when I tried to raise the top before bringing it down. I was able to unlatch the safety bar and gravity did do its job, the top came down. The problem for me is not having power after this incident. I will try firemarshal's advise and we'll see what happens. I will also hook it up to the power grid to see if this helps. Thank you once again.

Omar G.
San Marcos, Tx
Old 03-07-2012, 11:27 PM   #7

Quote:
I thank you all for all of your help on this matter. I noticed the "no power" when I tried to raise the top before bringing it down. I was able to unlatch the safety bar and gravity did do its job, the top came down. The problem for me is not having power after this incident. I will try firemarshal's advise and we'll see what happens. I will also hook it up to the power grid to see if this helps. Thank you once again.

Omar G.
San Marcos, Tx
Do you check the fuse?, I think it's behind the lifting switch under the dinette bench. An inline fuse holder with a wire coming out of each end. The lifting power is only off your trailer batteries or you can try using jumper cables from your truck. Power grid 110v would not work anytime.Also check the small curcuit breakers in your battery box,should be a small reset button on the curcuit breaker.
w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:40 PM   #8

Sound like you got the problems fixed. I do have a comment though. I think, at least in my '84, I have to have some power in my battery to let the top down using the switch in the down position because it has to activate the solinoid valve to let the pressure off the cylinder. If you are somewhere remote and you don't have jumper cables, you can CAREFULLY unscrew the plug in the top of the tee going to the cylinder a little at a time, untill it starts leaking, thus letting the pressure off. Just be sure to have something to catch the oil in as you wouldn't want to drop it on the ground. If you do this, you'll have to refill your reservoir with fresh hydrolic oil before you can raise it again. CAMP ON !!
Enchantedcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:55 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

I don't know about an 84 but both of mine have a manual release valve on the pump. Takes 2 people one to pull the release cable and the other to open the manual valve.
(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:08 PM   #10

Unhappy top will not go up

Hi All
OK it worked last year but this is the first time this year I have tried.
Is plugged directly into my house so power is NOT a problem.
I pulled the relaease and flipped the switch UP and I hear the motor humming but the top does not left..
Is there a manual lift somehwere in this puppy??
or where do I check to see if the Hydroalic fluid level is OK?

I cannot get to the manual as it is where I can reach it when the top is UP but not when it is down...arghhhhhhh
yvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:33 PM   #11

Send a message via Yahoo to jcurtis95

Yvette,

The hydraulic pump is under the metal cover on the trailer tongue. I have a 2406 T model and copied the instructions to follow if the fluid is low.

3. If motor runs, but pump does not raise trailer, check
the fluid level in the pump reservoir. Fluid level
should be approximately 1 inch from the top when
trailer is in the "down" position. If low, add
necessary amount. Use only type A or DEXRON 11
automatic transmission fluid. Be sure it is clean and
avoid over filling. If fluid level is extremely low,
check for leaks around the pump, at lifting cylinder,
and the connecting hos
e.

These instructions should also apply to your model. The pump operations may have changed since yours is an older model so you should check on the forum library for your particular Hi Lo year and model.

Good Luck.

Jerry Curtis
2406 T
jcurtis95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:00 PM   #12

Default going up

There is a inline resetable fuse (sorta) between the battery and the 12 volt system (hydraulic pump etc.) some have a reset button some do not. You can trip or ever reset the ones that do not by using a screw driver to make contact betweeen the two posts on them. If that is the issue it could be something drawing to much power or a bad fuse. I think mine is bad and am going to replace it. But as long as i have ac power it works only when on the battery does it not. Using the screw driver works fine for me.
kbrobins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:07 PM   #13

kbrobins,

You are defeating the purpose of the breaker by jumping the posts with a screwdriver. There has to be a 12v problem for the breaker to be thrown. There are 3 types of breakers and they physically look the same. Type 1 will automatically reset itself once it "cools down". Type 2 has to have the 12v power removed from it before it resets. Type 3 has the manual reset button on it. Since you don't have the reset button on yours, you possibly have a type 2 breaker. Remove the 12v power source from it and then reattach the power wire. If it still doesn't work, it must be bad and replace it with a type 3breaker.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:17 PM   #14

Send a message via Yahoo to sting32

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvette View Post
Hi All
OK it worked last year but this is the first time this year I have tried.
Is plugged directly into my house so power is NOT a problem.
I pulled the relaease and flipped the switch UP and I hear the motor humming but the top does not left..
Is there a manual lift somehwere in this puppy??
or where do I check to see if the Hydroalic fluid level is OK?

I cannot get to the manual as it is where I can reach it when the top is UP but not when it is down...arghhhhhhh
I want to Yell it out again, EVEN THOUGH YOU PLUGGED THE TRAILER IN, "POWER" IS STILL MORE LIKELY YOUR PROBLEM!

NO "GOOD" BATTERY = NO LIFT! End of story.

it takes like 300 cranking amps to pump the top up, on a 25ft camper. Most chargers wont give you 10 amps. and that cord from the camper you PLUGGED IN, is running a little tiny trickle charger at about 2 amps MAX, so top is NOT going to lift..
Old 07-06-2012, 09:07 AM   #15

Yvette
Sting is right, sounds like your battery is low. The top will not raise with house power. This just provides a trickle charge to the battery. You do not show which HiLo you have so Not sure what access you have to the battery when the top is down to get jumper cables hooked up. If you plug-up the HiLo to your tow vehicle you still only have at most 30 to 40 amps going to the RV. This is not enough to raise the top if the battery is low, and will blow the power fuse in the tow vehicle. Some HiLos do have a manual pump to raise the top. Can you get to the battery and hydraulic pump with the top down? First thing is to make sure the battery is charged. If it has been setting all winter, the battery may be dead, low on water or bad. Leave it hooked up to house power for a couple of days to try and charge up the battery. Let us know how it goes.
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:24 PM   #16

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

I have to agree with Sting and Jim. A fully charged battery would be my first step.
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:46 PM   #17

It might be our 84 model but mine does the same thing. It does rise with "house power." I know this because I've tried it. Plugged in it would go up. When I disconnected it it stopped from going up. Then I plugged it again and it went up. So YES, some will go up with house power. Some of you think you know everything but you really don't, sorry. The battery was fully charged this is how I know the battery isn't the issue. The issue now is getting to the battery with the darn thing down. Just my two cents.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:42 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
It might be our 84 model but mine does the same thing. It does rise with "house power." I know this because I've tried it. Plugged in it would go up. When I disconnected it it stopped from going up. Then I plugged it again and it went up. So YES, some will go up with house power. Some of you think you know everything but you really don't, sorry. The battery was fully charged this is how I know the battery isn't the issue. The issue now is getting to the battery with the darn thing down. Just my two cents.
I wonder though, if you disconnected the battery, but left the house power connected, would it raise? I'm of the opinion that the combination of a weak battery and your house power were enough together to raise the top. When you disconnected the house power, your battery did not have enough Amperage by itself to run the motor.

And, I've been able to raise my top partway with a battery that was on its last legs. But it would not go up the rest of the way with charging power from my tow truck added.

I bet if you look at your wiring from the battery to the motor, you'll see it's very heavy gauge, much heavier than the charging circuit wire to the battery. And, the motor runs only on 12 volts.

- Jack
Old 11-30-2012, 07:55 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
I wonder though, if you disconnected the battery, but left the house power connected, would it raise? I'm of the opinion that the combination of a weak battery and your house power were enough together to raise the top. When you disconnected the house power, your battery did not have enough Amperage by itself to run the motor.

And, I've been able to raise my top partway with a battery that was on its last legs. But it would not go up the rest of the way with charging power from my tow truck added.

I bet if you look at your wiring from the battery to the motor, you'll see it's very heavy gauge, much heavier than the charging circuit wire to the battery. And, the motor runs only on 12 volts.

- Jack
I agree with Jack on that.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:20 AM   #20

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post

- Jack
I strongly agree, Jack. I've experienced the same thing. Hit the switch and a slight rise then the groan. Plugged it into house power and got it to go up with no problems.

RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote